Reunion with an Old Friend

Brendon was strolling around downtown. It had been a week since his collapse, so Spencer and Ryan weren't hovering over him as much. Though Ryan would text constantly, he was at least still going to work. It took Brendon up till that morning to convince Spencer that he couldn't call into work again. Lucky for the man, his boss was very understanding with their situation.

Brendon hugged his jacket against his body, slowing down as he passed by random store windows. There was a gentle breeze, blowing the fall leaves to the floor. Brendon always thought autumn to be the most calming out of all the seasons.

He took a seat at an empty bench. He watched small families walk by, smiling at each other. There were colored leaves laying across the ground, occasionally giving a satisfying crunch when someone stepped on them. The gentle wind swept through his hair, cooling his warm skin.

Brendon shut his eyes and took a cleansing breath. There was nothing but peace in his mind. He wasn't giving any thought to anything, not his friend, his boyfriend, his situation. Nothing. It was almost freeing not worrying about anything.

"Brendon?" He opened his eyes, getting pulled back to Earth. "Brendon Urie?" He turned to see a shorter blonde girl standing beside the bench, unsure if she had the right person.

"Um, yeah?" A wide smile spread over her face.

"Holy shit. It's me, Kelly from the cafe." Brendon squinted his eyes, focusing on the girl's face while searching through his memories. His eyes widened and he got to his feet when he remembered his past co-worker. They pulled each other into a quick hug.

"Holy crap. It's been so long."

"Over a year," she nodded.

"You changed your hair. Short looks good on you. It will take a while to get used to the blonde though," he chuckled. Kelly combed a hand through her hair and chuckled.

"How've you been? Every misses your crazy ass. The cafe wasn't the same after you left." Brendon let out a nervous chuckle and brought his hand to the back of his neck.

"I mean I can't complain. It was hard to leave you guys though. Those were some of the best years of my life."

"You haven't really changed. Well you look thinner and maybe a little more pale, but nothing a little sun and food can't fix."

"I guess I haven't been going out as much as I used to, but let's not talk about me. How have you been? Are you still with Charlie?" Kelly giggled and rose up her hand, showing off a ring shining on her finger. Brendon felt an immense amount of joy for her. "Congratulations! I'm so happy for you two. You were the cutest couple."

"Thanks. I was going to send you an invite to the wedding but after you left it was like you fell off the face of the Earth."

"Yeah, sorry. I had some things I was dealing with and I just needed to get away." Kelly nodded in understanding.

"Do you have time? We should go somewhere and catch up. I have a lot to catch you up on."

"I'm free for the day." Kelly grinned, grabbed Brendon's hand and started pulling him down the street.

~~~

"It feels weird to be back here," Brendon whispered in awe. He didn't expect Kelly to bring him back to the cafe. It looked the exact same as it did the day he left. There was an employee he didn't know behind the counter, helping out a customer. Brendon felt his heart clench when his eyes landed on the low stage. He wasn't even sure if it'd be considered a stage. It was only leveled a step higher than the rest of the floor.

"Is Beth still the manager?" Kelly scoffed with a smile.

"Is that even a question? That woman lives and breaths for this place. The rumors that she sleeps in the pantry still get passed down to the new employees." Brendon couldn't help to laugh. He loved his former manager. she was like an older sister to him, always giving him a hard time but having his back whenever he needed it.