A. E. Date Night

A/N:

The first half is taken from the first ending, but second half is all new!

---

"Hey babe, sorry I'm late," he rushed in. He kissed the other on the head before taking the vacant seat across the table.

"It's okay. I understand." There was a moment of silence before anyone spoke up again. "Was it Brendon again?" The man sighed and nodded.

"He keep thinking his body's the same away it was before. It's like any time I tell him that he needs to take it easy, the words go in one ear and out the next. I swear he's as stubborn as a damn mule." The other reached across the table and grabbed hold of the man's hand. Their fingers immediately locked together.

"It's gonna be alright, Spence." The tension that was barely building up slowly diminished. Spencer managed a small, sincere smile. He looked over at his date, a sudden guilt washing over him. He opened his mouth to apologize, but was cutting off before he could get the chance.

"Don't. It's okay really. I knew the situation you were in when we got together. I told you I was fine with it so I don't want you apologizing anymore." Not being able to stop himself, he leaned forward and captured the other's lips with his own. It wasn't a long kiss or hard either. It was a small touch, a gentle 'thank you'.

"You are amazing, Linda." The woman smiled and pushed Spencer on the chest to get him to sit back down.

"I don't need you to tell me that. I already know," she joked with a small giggle. "Now, I've been waiting almost an hour for my boyfriend to get here so for the love of God let's order because I'm starving." Spencer smiled, looking over how Linda gave a small pout. He really hit the jackpot the day the universe decided to put her into his life a month ago.

"As you wish my dear." The couple didn't have to wait long for their food to arrive after ordering which Linda was grateful for. Spencer wouldn't have minded a longer wait though. It would've gave him more time to listen to his girlfriend talk about her day.

When they did start eating, he took the time to admire her dress, noting how if flowed down to conceal her curves. Her hair was pinned in a way that let Spencer know it was a last minute style she probably did in the car before she got the table. There was a nude color lip stick stain on the glass of wine that she insisted they didn't need but Spencer got anyway to please his lady.

When the check came, she debated who'd be paying for the meal, losing when Spencer snatched the bill from her grip. They walked out the restaurant hand in hand. Wanting to continue their date, Spencer suggested a walk around the block.

They moved leisurely with no care in the world. Their pace did result in a few people getting anger for being stuck behind them for a short moment. They managed their way into a nearby park, enjoying the warm spring air. Spencer would look up at the sky, smiling at the stars twinkling in the clear night.

"How's Brendon?" Linda asked as they made it back to the entrance to the park.

"Better, I think. He's not so happy about the side effects of his treatment, but when he's not throwing up, he's actually acting more alive.

"Good. I'm glad to hear that." There was a moment of silence where Linda was chewing on her lower lip. She glanced over at Spencer who had on an easy smile. "Do you think," she stopped. 

Spencer turned to her. "Hmm?"

Linda looked forward before starting again. "Do you think I could meet him?" There was a moment of silence. "We don't have to mention where we met." Spencer slowed their pace to a stop and eyed Linda.

He'd first seen her sitting across from him at an AA meeting nearly two months prior. He'd been nervous about his alcohol consumption when Brendon was getting worse and sought help. Linda was there to support a friend.

Spencer didn't do well in keeping his glances discrete. Linda caught his eye every time he tried to steal a look. It gave him hope though, the fact that she was looking each time he was. Maybe she snuck in her own glances that Spencer wasn't smooth enough to catch. 

After a couple meetings, Spencer worked up the nerve to talk to her her, leading to several dates soon after. He didn't tell Brendon, mostly out of shame as to where he'd met her and the reason for him being there. Then there was the easy excuse being Brendon's condition. The man already had enough on his plate.

"I just thought that since we've been together over a month, maybe I could meet your best friend, especially now that he's doing better." 

Spencer stood silent for a moment. Linda waited patiently for a response. Before long, Spencer nodded. "Okay."

A smile spread over Linda's face. "Okay?"

With another nod, Spencer gave a small smile. "Yeah. I'll set up a time for you two to meet."

"Thank you."

Spencer pulled her into a hug, squeezing her tight. The nerves were already turning in his stomach, but he thought about how this would be good. His relationship with Brendon wasn't the same as the standard best friend relationship everyone else had. It'll be nice to put some normalcy back into their lives.

---

A/N:

Late update this week. Been really busy with adulting 🙄 I'm working on having more free time to write and I'll do my best to get at least a weekly update!

Also Panic! is coming out with a new album! What!! I already pre-saved it and luckily got tickets to one of the shows!!! I am beyond excited and have been listening to their discography all week!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Extra random exclamations to help convey my excitement 😁)