Dinner Date

Brendon couldn't help how much he was fidgeting in his seat. He had an unconscious feeling that people knew he didn't belong there. He belonged in the dishroom at a restaurant like this. He stabbed into his fish, flinching when he scrapped the china plate. 

"Was this place too much?" Brendon looked up in surprise, almost like he completely forgot he was a date. Ryan looked like he fit right in. He was wearing just a regular looking navy blue dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up, but Brendon was certain it wasn't cheap. He looked down at his small portioned meal, knowing it would cost much more than he was comfortable with.

"No, it's fine," he lied. He really wanted this date to go well. Ryan frowned and waved the waiter over. Brendon felt his stomach knotting up. He was ruining things and they just got their food.

"Is there a problem, sir?" Brendon was going to speak up, insisting that they didn't have to leave. When he looked up, he noticed Ryan watching him intently. He wasn't even looking at the waiter, his main focus being the man sitting across from him.

"No, no. We just have to leave. Could I get the check?"

"Of course." From the corner of his eye, Brendon could see an older couple looking their way. Their piercing eyes tore into the side of his head, telling him he shouldn't be here, especially with someone like Ryan. He was really out of his element here the people living in high society.

"Hey." Ryan reached over and placed his hand over Brendon's. That one touch was enough to distraction Brendon from his thoughts. Ryan was quick to pay the bill and dragged Brendon out of the restaurant. 

When they got into the car, it was almost an unbearable silence that was eating Brendon up. He would give Ryan occasional side glances, slightly curious as to why the man kept whipping his head between the road and streets they were passing.

"Sorry. I guess I didn't think how that place would make you uncomfortable," Ryan apologized, shooting the other a small quick smile. Brendon shook his head quickly.

"No, it's okay. I've just never gone to a place like that. All the dates I've gone to were never more than like Applebees, so I guess I was just overwhelmed." Ryan slowed down to read a street sign more clearly.

"To be honest, I don't really go on dates anymore. I just meet people at bars and that's it." Brendon turned to what Ryan was focusing on.

"What are you," he started until Ryan cut him off.

"There!" He spun the wheel, jerking the car into a parking lot. Unprepared, Brendon's body leaned over the center console from the force of the turn. "Sorry," Ryan chuckled when Brendon straightened back up. Looking out the window, Brendon saw a taco truck not far from them. He looked back at Ryan with a confused smile.

"What are we doing here?" Ryan put the car in park and turned off the ignition.

"You have to try the tacos here. They're the best in town." Brendon worked to keep his smile contained. With a sigh, he dropped his smile and shrugged.

"I don't know. The place by my apartment is really good. I don't think this place can top them." Ryan stepped out of the car and rounded the front to open Brendon's door.

"Then prepare yourself," he grinned.

Not long after, Ryan was parked on a small hill overlooking a lake. The pair were sitting on the hood of Ryan's car, a styrofoam container holding fifteen tacos to ensure they wouldn't run out. Two large cups of horchata were balanced between them.

"There's no way you used to eat the lime for fun," Brendon laughed. Ryan shrugged and swallowed a bite from his taco.

"It wasn't for fun. Jon would bet me that I couldn't eat lime without making a face. Once I mastered not doing the sour face, I didn't mind eating them by themselves." Brendon held up one of his lime slices.