I Shouldn't Care But I Do

Ryan was walking down the hall of the hospital, thinking through a treatment plan for one of his patients. He'd been overloading himself at work the past week. It guaranteed that he didn't have enough time to think about anything else.

He rounded a corner, heading to the nurses station when he heard a familiar voice. He stopped dead in his tracks and looked up to see Jon talking to his ex's best friend. Jon had his arms crossed and an unamused look on his face. Spencer looked as if he were ready to get down on his knees and beg.

Ryan felt himself growing anxious. Why would Spencer be here? He looked around the counter, trying to spot another familiar face. He ignored the twing of pain in his chest and turned his attention back to the two.

"I already told you yesterday, I want nothing to do with him. Even if I did, I would need him here to do anything." Spencer frowned at Jon.

"I already told you that he wouldn't come willingly."

"Then sorry, there's nothing I can do."

"Jon, please." Ryan couldn't take it anymore and approached the pair.

"Who are you two talking about?" The two snapped their heads to see Ryan standing beside them. They exchanged a quick look, Jon's eyes glaring as a silent warning.

"It's none of your concern," Jon said in a stern tone. Spencer gave a forced smile.

"I should get going." With that, he quickly made his way to the exit. Ryan looked over at Jon.

"So what's really going on?" Jon sighed and shook his head.

"Like I said, nothing you need to worry about." Jon left right after, heading down the hall Ryan just came from. Ryan turned to the nurse.

"Debby, what were those two talking about?" The brown haired nurse looked up at Ryan with a smile.

"Well that man was asking Jon for some medication for his sick friend," Debby said with a smile, liking being included in the gossip. Ryan felt as if his heart skipped a beat.

"Did you hear who the friend was?" She shook her head, giving an apologetic look.

"Sorry." Ryan nodded with a defeated sigh.

"Dr. Ross!" Ryan turned to see a shaggy, black haired doctor coming up to him.

"Dr. Way."

"I haven't seen you around lately." Ryan shrugged.

"Guess I've just been a little busy lately."

"And you run out the door as soon as you clock out." Ryan gave an apologetic smile. "Must have some important business outside work," Gerard said and wagged his eyebrows. Ryan's smile quickly faded.

"I did, but not so much anymore." He looked away, not wanting the conversation to go on anymore.

"What do you mean? Don't you usually hang out with Brendon when you're off?"

"Not anymore." He really didn't want to say it. Gee frowned and crossed his arms.

"Really? Well, is Brendon feeling better then?" Ryan's head snapped back.

"What do you mean?" Gerard tilted his head to the side in confusion.

"Isn't he sick? Spencer came by yesterday asking Jon for something to calm his friend's fever or something like that. I just assumed it was Bren." Ryan looked to the side and shook his head subtly.

"I-I didn't know," he whispered. Gerard watched the man suddenly start to lose his normal calm composure.

"Ry, you alright, bud?" Ryan shook his head faster and brought a hand to grip at the root of his brown hair.