Evaluation

So I'm gonna love you like I'm gonna lose you
I'm gonna hold you like I'm saying goodbye
Wherever we're standing
I won't take you for granted
'Cause we'll never know when, when we'll run out of time

~~~

"So you two are back together again?" Brendon snuggled close to Ryan with a content smile on.

"Seeing as he's been by my side like some leech, I couldn't get away even if I wanted to." Brendon looked up with a pout on his lips and puppy dog eyes. "Not that I want to. Don't worry." Ryan kissed the tip of Brendon's nose, successfully getting the man to smile again.

"And you're okay with all of this, his situation and all?" Brendon stayed watching Ryan, waiting for a reaction. Ryan's eyebrows rose in surprise before settling on a a weak smile. Brendon wished he could unsee the amount of sorrow sitting in his lover's eyes. He cleared his throat and pulled from Brendon. He got to his feet and turned to Brendon.

"I should be getting ready for work. I can't make Gerard cover for me again."

"Right," Brendon said with an uneasy smile. Ryan bent down and kissed him on the head before turning to the door. When he reached the door, he stopped and spun around.

"Why don't you come with me?"

"What am I going to do at your work?"

"Get checked out."

"Ryan, I don't --"

"I know. I know. It's just you're still sick and it'll be good to take some antibiotics to help get better. I also wanted to," Ryan's voice slowly came to a stop. He looked away and took a deep breath. "I wanna know how much..." He looked away and squeezed his eyes shut. "How long until," he trailed off again. Brendon felt his heart clenched as he watched Ryan struggled to get his words out. "I won't force you but I want to know how much time we have together. So please... come with me to the hospital."

~~~

"You don't have to be so nervous," Tyler said with a small chuckle. Brendon winced as the doctor pierced a needle into his arm. He shut his eyes, failing at keeping his body from tensing. 

"Bren, you're crushing my fingers." He looked over at his friend and gave an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, Spence." When his fingers were released, Spencer stepped back and cradled his hand.

"Ryan's lucky he's not here to hold your hand or his career would be over," Spencer mumbled as he flexed and unflexed his fingers. Tyler let an amused laugh.

"I'm surprised Ryan's not here right now."

"He said he had some business to take care of," Brendon answered, still tense as his blood was being drawn. Tyler rubbed Brendon's arm, reminding him that he needed to relax.

"We're almost done. I just need a couple more samples." Brendon frowned. He really hated this.

"You know I was wondering why Ryan asked you to do this and not Jon," Spencer thought out loud. His eyes went wide after processing what he said. "Not that I think he's a better doctor than you or anything. It's just Jon was the only one that's been doing Brendon's checkups. I'm sure he's relieved though because he hated Brendon."

"Spencer!"

"What? It's true. You know it's true." Brendon turned away and pouted. Tyler was finding it harder to keep his professional face on as another laugh came out. He shook his head and prepared a tube for another sample.

"It's fine. If I had to guess, I think it would have something to do with their fight."

"Their fight?" The friends questioned in unison.