Chapter 99

"I'll help you unload the groceries," Jacob says and I shake my head.

"I'm fine, really." I smile at him and I can see by the look in his eyes that he doesn't want to take 'no' for an answer.

"I'm okay," I tell him and he musters a smile and before he can throw any more words my way, I gently close the door and leave him in the hallway. 

I slowly unload the two full blue bags into the small fridge. Not having seen Miles for a few days tastes weird on my tongue. 

I glance at my phone only to see three missed calls from Miles and the big nine pm in large letters. I take a deep breath before slowly getting into my pajamas. As soon as I lie down on my soft bed I hear a knock at the door.

"Madison?" I hear Miles's voice call, but it sounds different. 

He's stammering. I rush to my feet and open the door slowly to an intoxicated hazel-eyed boy who crept his way into my heart, broke it, and is now trying to fix it.

"Are you drunk?" I question, my mind flying back to an intoxicated Miles in Hayden's basement.

"No." he slurrs.

"What happened?" I shake my head, helping him inside my door. He can barely walk straight.

"I'm sorry." He says, before falling down onto my bed. 

He quickly recovers and instead of laying on his side, sits down. 

I look into his bloodshot hazel eyes before looking down at my feet instead. Seeing him this way is too painful and I find myself not wanting him to be here—not like this.

"Miles—"

"My mom . . . she asked me to move back, and that's not the only thing . . ." Miles chuckles.

"She asked me to talk to my dad. He wants to see me." Miles gulps down the words.

"Don't you want to?" I ask him but he shakes my head.

"Fuck no, he left us--he left me."

"So did my dad but, maybe forgiveness isn't too bad. I mean . . . I'm forgiving you." I look up at him, his eyes staring right into mine, and for the first time since he got here, he looks to be understanding. 

His features soften and he almost doesn't look drunk anymore.

"It's not that simple." He huffs but I crunch up my brows.

"It can be," I say, my head tilting slightly sideways as I approach him and sit down.

"He's asking for forgiveness and so did you . . . is it really that different?" I ask and he looks right at me.

"I never thought of it that way." He admits, ripping our stare by looking at the floor instead of me.

"Here I was thinking about what a son of a bitch he was, but I'm in his shoes. I'm begging for a second chance—I'm begging you." He says, looking back at me with those hazel dull eyes. I nod as I look down at him. 

His hands slowly climb up my thighs and before I know it, they're resting on my hips. My breaths get deeper and fewer as we look at each other. Our stare thick and intimate

"I've missed you." He licks his lips as those hazel eyes look into mine. 

He licks his lips again and this time with a small bite of his lips and a brush through his hair with his long and tattooed fingers.

"I've missed you too." I breathe. I can't stop looking at him, no matter how much I want to. The longer I look at him, the more of me betrays me. 

My body can't move and neither can my eyes, my brain is the only thing keeping me from kissing him, and even with my half-awake bain, I still can't make a decision to leave. Forgiving Miles should have been easy. He agreed to change, and we agreed to take it slower this time, but nothing is easy with Miles—nothing ever has been easy with him. 

My feet step closer to him and his hold is more firm. As I approach closer his hands lift me on top of him and my breathing starts to increase. Having been away from him for this long and in so much pain, I forgot how my body could feel—I forgot what a different world it can be. 

Electricity rushes through me and it's as though I can feel every cell in my being, being electrified by his touch. He pushes me harder toward him and harder toward his pants which makes me want to faint. 

My lips part and I nibble at his hot neck with the snake tattoo staring into my eyes as I succumb to the bad boy in black. My breathing gets heavier and so does his. I bite my lips and Miles smiles.

"You like this?" he asks, breathing in and out slowly as our eyes meet. He licks his lips as he pushes his fingers slowly towards my sensitive area before he slowly unzips the small zipper of my jeans. I take a deep breath and nod a small 'mhm.' 

I close my eyes and let myself feel what my body wants to feel. Miles knows me like I don't even know myself. 

I breathe out deeper as Miles's fingers stay between my thighs and he pushes me towards him harder and then further away, repeating the cycle that threatens to drive me crazy. My arms hold tightly around his neck, listening to his every breath.

"Oh, Madison." He breathes and I close my eyes, leaning my head back and enjoying the heavenly sound coming from his pink lips. 

I let my fingers run down his black t-shirt and down to his pants, only to feel something in his pocket.

"What is that?" I ask, my fingers climbing inside of the pocket and pulling out a small black book—that black book.

"It's nothing, babe." He says, throwing the book on the floor and nibbling at my neck but something about that book doesn't let me forget it.

"No." I shake my head.

"What is in that book?" I say, detaching myself from him, and climbing off, quickly zipping up my jeans. He clenches his jaw and avoids eye contact, watching the book as I pick it up. His hands are behind him and he's slightly swaying backward.

"Something I should have told you about earlier." He says, his jaw clenched and his gaze dull. I look at him before my fingers quickly flip through the pages. 

I cover my mouth as I stare at the pages and let the tears flow. I can't believe I was this naïve.