Chapter 174

Miles's POV

I place Madison onto her dorm bed while Stephanie watches, making sure I won't hurt her in any way. And since she can't exactly prevent me and Madison from being together, her eyes are extra watchful so that the mental pain I'm causing Maddie won't turn into physical.

"Don't bump her head," Stephanie says as I place Madison very carefully onto the bed. She instantly turns around to face the wall and scrunches her legs closer to her before holding the blanket on her bed tightly to her neck. I turn around and glare at Stephanie before shaking my head. The stupidity of her thinking I'd ever be so reckless to bump her precious head is absurd to me. I'm the most careful with her out of everyone; out of everything.

"You're leaving?" Stephanie asks as soon as I turn my back toward her. Of course, I'm fucking leaving, I don't want to stay another second in this dorm, not with anyone else in here. We're just getting back to normal and I know I can't rush Madison. 

I can't stay here and sleep next to her, I can't make Stephane leave just so I can be with my girl, I can't do anything because everything is still so fucked up; the wounds are still so new.

"Yeah." I breathe and before she can ask me anything else, I'm out of the damn dorm. The only place I want to be is with Madison but I know she can't give me that; not right now. I still remember yesterday night and the way Madison nodded her head when I told her I had to leave as soon as I'd walk her back to her dorm. But I knew I wouldn't be walked her to her dorm, I'd be walking with her in my arms, letting her rest on her familiar bed. 

I take a deep breath as I stomp my black vans onto the hallway floor which leads me outside and into the slightly warm air. My leg is still sending me fucking pain shocks even with the cast-off but I manage to walk all the way to the car, turn the engine on and leave Washington.

Madison's POV

"So, turns out we're in class together." I hear a familiar voice behind me but I can't recognize just who it is. My mind is full of thoughts about him; Miles. 

I can't do anything but wonder where he is, where he left, why he chose New York if he misses me, but I don't have the answer to any of those, I never do. I stare at Mr. Stafford, remembering last semester when everything felt so simple and now it's so hectic; so complicated. The red rug isn't the same as it was before and neither is the classroom. 

Everything looks exactly the same, but it isn't. I manage to turn around to see a familiar face behind me; Jacob. I scramble to move my bag from the seat next to me for Jacob to sit down, but my mind still can't come up with any words to say.

"You're in class . . . with me?" I ask surprised and he nods.

"Yeah, they're combining some majors, since Mr. Stafford's classes are basically essential," Jacob explains and I offer him a small and gentle nod, hoping I can have some space to realize what's happening.

"Oh." Is all I manage to say, I'm tired and disoriented and on top of that, Miles has completely left Washington and I'm stuck in class with Jacob.

"I'm fine to move . . . if that's what you want." Jacob smiles at me, his face is warm and his eyes are a summery pool.

"I'm okay," I tell him, staring at his soft features and healed forehead even though all I can picture when I look at him is the concussion he had after Miles hurt him.

"How is your head?" I ask him without realizing the words that my lips are clearly too desperate to ask.

"I'm fine, I've been better, but I'm getting good every day." He tells me and I give him a warm smile right before Mr. Stafford begins his lecture even though the only thing on my mind will be Miles.

Miles's POV

I need her. I fucking need her. But I want her to be happy, she deserves it, and right now, me being in New York is the only thing that will make her happy, even if she doesn't know it. I step into the crowded plane, being thankful that I can fly business class instead of the bullshit being squeezed like a fucking asshole in economy class. 

The flight attendants smile at me as I board the plane but I don't bother smiling back. I sit down after finding my seat to be in the very middle, with a middle-aged woman behind me and when I take a closer look I can almost say for certain that she's in her early forties, her red lipstick is bright and he eyes are a heavy blue, her eyelids are painted a clear sparkly gold and her hair is shoulder length and brown. She's sitting too comfortably on the couch and the flight attendants are eyeing her alcohol consumption.

"Towel, sir?" A flight attendant asks and I shake my head.

"No, thanks," I tell her and she smiles politely before approaching the chair behind me. the flight attendant speaks to the woman behind me while I stare outside the small window next to me.

 the plane has already taken off and I didn't even notice thought the thoughts of Madison. She swims into my mind and stays there until I see her, and even then it gets worse and after seeing her, when I leave, I feel the worst. The white clouds sway above me as I unzip my black silk Jacket and place t on the empty seat next to me, I'm thankful that I'm completely alone. 

I let my headrest on the chair and my breathing starts to turn calmer and quieter with every second passing.

"Would you like something to drink?" The flight attendant asks the woman behind me, "Yes, a glass of wine, and for the young gentleman too." She replies and my eyes open up slightly as I continue to listen to the conversation.

"Of course." The flight attendant says, handing the woman two glasses. I close my eyes and feel a tap on my shoulder from the woman behind me but when I turn around she's already walking to sit next to me.

"Hello, Miles." She says and I can't help but let my eyes shoot wide.

"I hope we can talk." She says gently, her tone is soft and she hands me the cup of red wine in her hands.

"Who, uh . . . who—" I shake my head at the confusion that's spreading all over me.

"I'm your mother." She nods gently and my body feels numb as if I've been injected with something that I can't get rid of.