Chapter 148

The harsh rain starts to tap harder and faster on the windshield to the point where I can barely see anything. I put the windshield wipers on and they instantly take away the pouring rain. It's only seven hours, my eyes are worn out and making my eyelids heavy but I'm wide awake, I couldn't be more awake. 

The only thing on my mind is Miles and he's the only thing that has been on my mind ever since I started driving to Ohio—ever since I left. I don't have a plan and that's scary, I don't have Milles to talk to; I don't have the only person I truly need. 

Remembering the way he said he was going back to Crystal's makes my eyes water every time the thought enters my mind but thankfully, for the past few hours I've been able to blink new tears away. 

Even though I feel as though I can't cry anymore, the tears still come out when it really hurts. I watch out the windshield as light snow starts to fall and by now, I'm the only one enjoying the snow. No one else is on the road, and since it's almost one am it doesn't surprise me. I want to let go of everything about him but there's something about him that I can't let go of. 

Miles isn't a regular guy, he's not someone a girl like me can fall in love with, with no consequences. 

He has a dark past, pain, regrets, and secrets that eat him and me alive the longer we stay together. 

His hair isn't even the kind of dark-brown you'd see on anyone else walking past, it's darker, it's a specific shade you wouldn't get anywhere else, his dark hazel eyes are something you'd never find on anyone else, his skin that is covered in tattoos, but not just any tattoos, they're tattoos that wouldn't fit anyone else, the pink lips I love so much, the cologne that clings to his body, the black clothes, everything that belongs to him, I'm addicted to. 

Every single thing. And yet everything about him is drowned in darkness—a darkness so addicting that one would wonder why his shadows are so welcoming—so attractive.

Miles's POV

"Wow, you really fucked up." Lacey laughs and I roll my eyes.

"So when Is your stupid friend coming?" I ask and she playfully hits my shoulder.

"She's not stupid, she's saving us, so you better be nice." She says and I chuckle.

"Or what?" I ask while Lacey's eyes rest on my lips as the words come out.

"I've missed you, Miles." She says and I'm a little taken aback.

"I've missed the way we were, you know, the two of us . . ." She says, running her finger down my thigh and leaning her head on my beating chest—the chest that beats only for her—only for Madison.

"You've been on my mind for a while." She finishes, her voice low and calm as she runs her finger up and down my thigh.

"Fuck off," I tell her and fucking push her off me.

"Don't be such a fucking ass!" She barks, looking at me, her hands on the green blanket.

"Fuck this," I say and quickly open up the car door, heading into the pouring rain and darkness. I should have never gone back to that stupid fucking stirp club and I definitely shouldn't have asked Lace for a fucking ride. 

I heave a thick sigh before walking through the mud. My vans are already fucked up with dirt but I don't give a shit, as long as I'm far enough from that stupid car, I don't care.

"Miles, come on, we both know you miss it!" Lacey yells and I smirk as I don't turn back and instead, continue walking away from her and the chaotic shit she brings.

I can't believe I was ever so emerged into her that I wanted her—I wanted her body. She had everything I was into and I refused to give her up even after I thought I had found something stable like Chrissy. But Chrissy wasn't stable at all, she was just another distraction.

AFTER WHAT FEELS LIKE A five-hour walk, I'm finally home, my shoes are beyond muddy and my hair and clothes might as well be ninety-percent water. I step up the few steps that lead up to the front black door and to my surprise, it opens by itself. 

For a brief second my heart starts to race, hoping it's Madison who somehow found her way inside even though there's no Lambo parked out front and somehow got a key but I qucikly realize it's Valentina.

"Miles what—" She begins.

"Drop it," I say and she completely stops, opening the door for me completely and letting my soaked body walk inside. My hair looks almost black now and my shoes are barely existent with the mud and dirt covering them. 

I take off my black shirt and toss it on the4 couch, letting the rainwater drip its way into the couch but Valentina qucikly moves the shirt off the couch but as soon as her eyes meet my torso, she gasps and covers her mouth slightly.

"What happened?" She asks hesitantly but I just clench my jaw and ignore her, the last thing I want to dive into is a fight at a fucking strip club even though by now, she's probably used to that.

"Nothing," I say in a harsh whisper.

"I'll wash—" She picks up the t-shirt.

"Don't bother, throw it or give it away, I'll get new ones . . . of everything," I say, The thought of Lacey's finger even on my jeans makes me want to burn the pants let alone wash them. 

I toss my shoes on the thin doormat and color it dirty before walking up the stairs.

"Miles—"

"I'm taking a shower," I answer before she can ask me a question I won't want to answer.

The shower is hot against my skin as it runs down from my head and to my feet. My torso is all fucked up and rubbing a bar of soap on the bruised areas only makes it worse. 

I take a deep breath as I think back to all of the fucked-up things I've done and the one that disgusts me most is still taking Madison's virginity in the way I did, it's something I'm sure will always haunt me, no matter where I escape to, no matter if I stay here or leave to New York. And that's the shitty thing about life, it can throw something at you, something so precious when you're not ready at all when you're still fucked-up and you'll ruin that precious gem, only to find out it was the only piece of hope you'd ever have. 

And it makes you regret it for the rest of your life. I flick my fingers through my hair to brush off the water drops that drip onto my body before wrapping a towel around my torso and taking a smaller one to shake on top of my dark mop of hair. 

I open the door, letting the hot steam evaporate into the coldness of the hallway in front of me before I step outside of the bathroom. 

As I sit down and stare at the large window inches away from me at the dark night, I can't help but think about where Madison is right now, and if she knows just how much I regret the disgusting decision I've made of not only taking something so precious from her but fucking with girls like Lace.