Chapter 112

The words I said to Miles last night still make my heart warm and my body tingle. I've been wanting to say those three words for a long time—longer than I can remember. 

And even though I didn't know it then, I know now that those words have always lingered inside of my body somewhere hidden ever since her first laid his dark eyes on me. 

There was always something about him—something indescribable, something I can't put my finger on even to this day but it's something my body can't resist. 

It's something I can't resist. And ever since I heard those three words fall from his lips, every emotion I have ever felt, washed through me. I knew that I wasn't crazy for feeling the way I did about him because all this time, he felt the same. 

I look at Miles who's asleep next to me. His shirtless chest is warm against my cold skin. I take a deep breath before attempting to push at his chest in order for me to escape. The last thing I want to do is wake him up, after all the long drive he deserves to sleep. 

With a light push, Miles lets himself fall onto the thick mattress right below him and I try not to giggle. He's laying on his face with his arms stretched out. He groans to himself, "Come here, babe." He says half asleep, his fingers gesturing for me to come but there's no space on his mattress and before I can reply, I hear him lightly and almost inaudibly sonar. 

I smile at him before letting my feet drop lightly onto the floor. I grab a pair of fresh clothes from my cabinet before walking out of the barely open door to see my mother in the kitchen, preparing breakfast. I close the door behind me and head toward her with a smile. 

"I'm going to the mall, I need to get Miles a Christmas gift," I say and my mother smiles.

"That's a good idea, I saw he had something for you." My mother chuckles. All my life she has somehow been able to keep track of the smallest things, even on strangers. The thought of Miles getting me something makes me blush but I try my best to hide it from my smiling mother.

"Don't be too long we're having lunch in two hours, I'll get Miles to help me once he wakes up." My mom says and I smile. It makes me happy to know that she's trying to involve Miles in everything we do.

"I'll be home by then," I tell her with a small smile and a small wave. As I close the outside door behind me, I gulp and take a few steps outside. 

I need to mend my friendship with Jace. No matter whatever happened between us, I can't see my best friend disappear out of my life and for something so innocent—for Miles. 

I knock lightly on Jace's door, something I haven't done in too long. As I wait for it to open, my heart races and I hope that he'll agree to a shopping trip with me. The door flings open to a shirtless Jace, something I'm still not used to seeing. 

His muscles have gotten bigger and I almost can't recognize him without his shirt. His arms are stronger, not as strong as Miles's but he's gained much more muscle since the last time I saw him work out. His hair is puffy and in the air as his gray eyes stare at me.

"Can I help you?" His tone is cold and it sticks into my heart like an icepick.

"I . . . do you want to come shopping with me?"

"Oh, Madison. We haven't seen you in so long." Jace's mother Nancy approached with a smile and extended arms. I give her a smile before hugging her and looking at Jace.

"Are you two going somewhere?" She asks kindly and I nod.

"Yeah, I was just asking Jace if he'd want to come shopping with me." I smile, biting at my lip knowing Jace will most likely agree now that his mother is here with us.

"And I was about to say 'no' because I'm in the middle of a workout," Jace smirks which is something I don't like seeing, it's almost like with his smirks, he seems to be changing right in front of me and I can't do anything to stop the change.

"Don't be silly Jace, Madison comes by so rarely. Of course, you're going." Nancy says and I thank her with a small smile before letting my eyes shift back to an uninterested Jace.

"Fine, I'll be right out." He says and closes the door right in front of me. I look at the door, trying to hold my emotions behind me. Nancy quickly opens the door again and looks at me with terrified eyes.

"I am so sorry Madison, you've been nothing but kind to us and especially to Jace. I have no words for how he's behaving. He's been like this for some time now and I'm very sorry." Nancy explains and I know exactly why he's been this way—he hates Miles and now, he hates me too.

"It's okay, I hope I'll be able to cheer him up," I say and she gives me a warm smile.

"Thank you Madison, you're too kind." She says before Jace appears in front of the door again.

"Ready?" he asks, kinder than before.

"Yeah." I smile, a little caught off guard.