Chapter 155

"How about this one?" Jace suggests a heavy ring, a cushion-cut, apparently. I stare at the diamond in front of me.

"How much is this again?" Jace asks the woman whose smile is brighter than anything in this room and she's clearly happy about the 'young couple' looking to get married, or so she was told by Jace. I didn't mind and I couldn't blame him. 

The decisions I've made, I can't judge anyone else, I can only judge myself. I don't know what Jace is going through and I don't want to crush anything inside of him more than I already have, plus it might be true one day and I don't mind leaving my options open since Miles isn't in the picture anymore and never will be. I would probably act just like him if Miles didn't want me back.

"It's four thousand." The woman says and as I try to say something, I nearly gulp down my own tongue.

"How about something, um, simpler?" I suggest with a brow slightly raised. Jace smiles and the woman nods before putting the expensive rings away.

"How do you feel about this one?" Jace points at a thin silver band with a small blue-white diamond on top.

"Oh my god," I say.

"That's just like—"

"Mary's ring." Jace finishes for me and I bite my lip, trying to keep the tears from falling. As I hold the warm cup of tea in my hand I stare at the ring, examining the likeness of the silver band and the small blue diamond. 

I ignore the sound of the bell ringing as the door of the small shop is being opened as I continue to stare in awe at the beautiful ring that could be on my finger one day.

"Can I help you with something young man?" The woman behind the counter asks whoever is by the door.

"Yeah, I'm looking for her." I hear Miles's voice and I turn around, gasping almost, my eyes wide as I watch Miles right in front of me. 

My heart starts to race and my heavy breathing increases. I drop the cup full of tea onto the floor, blinking rapidly but not being able to turn my attention away from him. 

I want to say something but I can't, I can't look at the hot tea beneath my feet, I can't hear what the woman behind the counter is saying, I don't know what Jace is feeling and I can barely understand the connection between Miles and I.

"Madison." Jace says and I slowly turn around but Miles speaks, "Don't." He says and I gulp, hearing him talk to me feels odd somehow as if we haven't talked for a few centuries. Being without him has done nothing but kill me inside. 

All of this time, I thought I was okay, somehow I thought I could handle it, ignore it even but now that I have those dark hazel eyes n front of me, I know I can't run.

"Madison, let's go." I feel Jace's hand on my shoulder. Miles gulps, his jaw clenched as his eyes don't move from mine, the gaze is strong and I feel him—I feel him all over me.

"Please, don't," Miles says again and the words rush through me as if waking me up from a daze.

"Oh, I, um, I—" I stumble on my own mind, unsure which one of the words that are flowing around me to let go into the air.

"Try not to fall in the mess you've made, young woman." The woman behind the desk says, her glasses and red lipstick stare right at me. I shake my head slightly, my lips parted as I try to understand what's going on.

"We'll be okay." Jace answers for me, his grip on my shoulder getting more and more protective with the seconds passing, as if he's somehow trying to hide me from Miles. 

The longer I stare into Miles's eyes the more I notice the pain behind him, as if he's been crying, holding back tears even. His hair is messy and his eyes are bloodshot.

"Come with me?" He asks but Jace pulls me slightly back.

"She's not going anywhere with you." He tries to be harsh but his tone can't be nearly as scary as Miles's. To my surprise Miles stays quiet but yet I can't say anything.

"Come on, babe," Jace says, his hand sliding from my shoulder and to my hand where Miels's eyes are now fixed. They're harsh, dark, and scary, threatening Jace to move his hand but he doesn't.

"is that . . ." Miles looks down at the floor as if he's tired, tired of everything.

"Is that what you want?" He asks, his hazel and hurt eyes piercing into mine.

"I . . . I don't know." I look down at the floor and I can see why he did seconds ago, it's comforting, it helps me escape, think even, even if it's just for a mere second.

"We're going and you can stay out of this, you left her once and you'll only do it again," Jace says and a smirk instantly appears on Miels's lips even with his pained eyes.

"I hope you know I'm not going anywhere, buddy." Miles's smooth voice hovers over the store and I can't help but smile a little smile. 

The woman behind the desk is staring at Miles even though she's at least twice his age. Milles's eyes are painfully attractive and I almost can't bear the emotions that Mine feel for them.

"Madison, do you uh, want me to buy that ring?" Jace says and I can almost sense his smirk.

"I—" Miles stops me.

"I don't think she'll need it." Miles spits out and I look at him confused but he qucikly pulls out something from his pocket; Mary's ring.

"My great grandmother's—"

"You have that?" Jace questions, stepping forward from behind me.

"Angela gave it to me for a reason," Miles says, looking into my eyes, hypnotizing me.

"She . . . she gave it to you?" Jace stumbles over his words and I can only imagine the hurt washing over him. I had no idea my mother would give something so special to Miles considering her opinion of him.

"That doesn't belong to someone like you." Jace fires and I'm surprised at his hards words and demanding tone.

"Oh, doesn't it?" Miles smirks. It's amazing that even through all of this, he still finds it funny to torment Jace like this.

"No, it doesn't. Give it back, I'm the one that should have gotten it, I'm going to propose to Madison!" Jace says loudly before pushing at Mielss' shoulders with both of his hands, leaving the ring to fly up in the air and tumble down, rolling into a small crack in the floor.