Chapter 88

"What's wrong?" Jace asks after a long and very silent car ride. I don't feel like myself, I feel like a broken girl who keeps getting more broken, and the worst part is that the hurt comes from the people she cares about.

"I'm just a little disoriented with everything, I guess that car crash—"

"Car crash!" Jace almost stops the car.

"Yeah, it's okay, I'm okay now."

"Madison." He sighs as he pulls into the small parking lot outside of the hotel. We step out and walk into the lobby, finding out small room.

"Madison what is really going on?" he asks as I sit down on my familiar small hotel bed. I take a deep breath before finally daring to look at him.

"I . . ." The tears flow.

"I should have listened to mom, she was right—" I break down and Jace tushes by my side, letting me lean on his shoulder.

"Miles—"

"What did he do?" Jace interrupts, his voice is angry.

"He . . ." I look up at him, I can't get the words out, I don't know what to get out. What did he do?

"What Madison?" Jace's light eyes scan my face.

"I don't know, he hurt me . . . he lied to me." I manage.

"About what?"

"About everything." I swallow, drying my tears even though they want to escape again.

"Oh, Maddie, how did this happen? How did we get so far apart and how did you get so close to him." Jace breathes, leaning into me for a hug.

"I don't know." My voice is entangled in my emotions.

"I'm just glad you're still my Madison, because no matter what he lied about, you have me, your mom and yourself, you didn't give yourself away like everyone else would to a guy like him." Jace says and I bite my lip hard as I try to keep myself from bursting back into tears. 

I gulp down my emotions and pull away, giving Jace the best smile I can muster. I need a distraction and hugging is only going to make everything worse.

"How about we watch a movie?" I ask and he nods.

"Just like old times." He smiles and I nod. Watching movies together was one of our favorite things to do and it didn't matter that it was on an old tv or that it was the same four movies over and over again.

"How is mom?" I ask as I sit on the bed, eating the popcorn we bought.

"Madison." Jace sighs as he picks out a movie. He stands up and sits back down in front of me. My phone buzzes again and this time I take off the sound and place it on the nightstands next to me. Jace looks at the phone for a second before looking back at me.

"You don't need to worry about her this much." He says and I nod.

"I know, it's just ever since I heard the news that she was sick, I've  been traumatized."

"I know Madison, but she's okay, everything has changed now, Your dad left a while ago, you're nineteen now, and your mom is getting better, I don't even have to help as much around the house." He says with a giggle and I smile.

"Really? She's getting that much better?" I ask and he smiles.

"Yeah, but I still feed her crazy duck for her." We laugh. I haven't laughed since Miles told me the truth. Being at Jace's house for a whole week for a few hours after my dad left, scarred me. I was with my best friend playing innocent game while knowing that my mother was home alone, crying to herself with no stop and it was worse when I heard her during the nights.