Chapter 113

Jace's car turns on and we're on our way. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that the last time I was in this car was before everything. 

It was before I really knew Miles and before Jace turned completely upside down. I play with my fingers as my hands rest on my lap. 

Jace droves responsibly, avoiding every hole in the road, unlike Miles who speeds through every hurdle and bump. He turns onto the main road slowly which almost annoys me. Now that I've gotten used to Miles's driving, I almost can't stand the slowness.

"Can I drive?" I speak before my mind can realize that my mouth has opened.

"Oh, uh, of course." He says with a kind smile—one that I haven't seen in a long time, it almost feels like forever since I've gotten to see the real Jace. 

He quickly stops in a safe place right next to the road and thankfully there aren't many cars around. I jump out and so does he. We quickly switch and before I know It I'm behind the wheel. My eyes scan every button until I finally speed onto the main road. 

Jace tugs at his seat belt as I navigate the road like the back of my hand and press the gas pedal as hard as it will go which isn't very far.

"Is this how he drives?" Jace asks but I choose to ignore his question, I don't want everything to revolve around Miles. 

This shopping trip is about me spending time with my best friend. In what should have been at least a fifteen-minute drive, we arrive in ten minutes and I smile at Jace proudly before handing him the keys.

"Are you hungry?" Jace aks as soon as we step foot inside.

"Starving." I smile.

"Me too." He admits with a smile, his eyes looking down to my lips before they rush back to my eyes. 

They meet mine and this time, I can't feel the resentment or anger towards Miles from his eyes that so clearly radiates every time I'm near him. 

We walk toward a small pizza place which is thankfully empty. The waitress leads us to a table next to a small window from which we can see the whole parking lot.

"Here are the menus." The waitress says, her eyes lingering a little too long on Jace.

"Thanks." He simply says, not acknowledging her as he takes the menus from her hands and smiles at me.

"Can I get you any drinks for now?" She asks Jace more than me.

"Yeah, cherry lemonade for the both of us," Jace says, giving her a quick smile. She nods, fixing her blonde ponytail.

"Is there anything else I can do for you?" She asks sweetly but Jace shakes his head.

"No thanks." He says, sounding cold even though he clearly doesn't mean to be. She gives him a smile that he doesn't see before walking away.

"I think she really liked you," I tell him, with a small bite at my lip.

"I like someone else." He says, looking into my eyes with a small smile. His grey eyes have gotten a little darker and so have his hair and freckles. 

He takes off his dark brown Jacket, revealing a white t-shirt that compliments him perfectly before running his fingers through his hair and letting them drop back onto the menu.

"So do I." I say quietly enough for him to miss my words.

"So, how about a salad?" He jokes and I shake my head with a giggle.

"Maybe for you, I'm getting a pizza and baby corn dogs." I giggle and so does he before pressing his teeth on his lips.

"I'll take those baby things from you and order a pizza for myself too." He says and I can't help but let a chuckle escape my lips.