Chapter 134

"Wine?" The waitress asks in the middle of our dinner. After twenty minutes of looking at the menu, I finally decided on the fish and potatoes while Miles decided on the meat and potatoes.

 Miles looks at me, his tongue between his teeth, his gaze is soft and his eyebrows are raised, almost as if he's waiting for me to answer.

"I—"

"Do you want a sip or two?" He asks and I can't help but give him a small smile. I've never tasted wine before and drinking it with a fancy dinner doesn't feel like me, but it's something I want to try especially with Miles by my side. 

Something about him makes me feel like I can grow into a woman, blossom somehow, try new things and discover more of myself.

"Okay." I smile at the waitress who's barely looking at me.

"Red wine," Miles smirks and I nod and so does the waitress. Her eyes linger on him for a little longer before she finally detaches herself from staring at him and walks over to the bar.

"So how's the fish?" Miles asks in a half-mocking tone. I give him a frown until I look down on my plate and realize I've barely touched the fish. The potatoes are all scattered and half-eaten on the large white dish, but the fish looks just like it did when it was placed right in front of me.

"It's good." I smile and we both giggle.

"Next time you say that I know you mean it." Miles chuckles and I giggle at his joke. His eyes look down at his plate, the barbecue sauce is scattered all over this half-eaten meat.

"So is your friend . . . coming to Pullman?" Miles asks, his eyes meeting mine now and I can tell he doesn't want to say 'Jace.' 

I look down at my plate, and more specifically, the fork that has only touched half of my food. I shift in the wooden seat before shaking my head, "No."

"He's um . . . he's going to TXSU," I explain and his fingers come closer, raising up my chin to look at him. My eyes meet his soft eyes.

"I'm sorry, I know how much, he uh, he means to you," Miles says and I can tell he can barely get the difficult words out. He licks his lips as he waits for some kind of answer from me.

"I don't know if he does," I say but Miles's expressions doesn't change, it stays firm as if he cares moe about how I feel rather than how glad he is that I too, now dislike Jace.

"I mean . . ." I breathe before continuing, "We're not the same anymore." I say, looking down at my fiddling fingers under the table. My nails are short and my fingers are long and skinny which somehow reminds me of the first time Chrissy put polish on them. 

Everything was so different, I thought Jace and I would somehow end up together and now it's clear that we never will, we'll barely talk let alone get married one day.

"I care about him, but he's not the same Jace and I'm—"

"Not the same Madison." Miles finishes for me, his lips playing a small smile—a smile that tells me he cares about the way I feel.

"Your wine." The waitress says, placing the two wine gladded of red liquid down on our table before giving Miles a smile and walking back to the bar. I almost feel nauseated at the number of stares she's giving Miles and the lack of politeness she's giving me. 

The liquid stains the clear glass slightly as I put the liquid next to my mouth. Miles gives me a small smirk at the face I make after I taste the harsh and tasteless liquid. 

He stands up slowly, his eyes still on mine as he keeps his focus only on me. He takes a seat right next to me, bringing his wine to his new tableside. 

His hazel eyes look into mine, they're dark but yet so soft, his gaze is clear not like it used to be before. Before his eyes threatened me, and now, the darkness in him welcomes me, it welcomes everything I have. 

He leans closer and his breath hits my lips, leaving a trace of Miles's constant fresh breath. 

He leans in closer, his lips pink as he focuses his attention only on me, my eyes close as a reflex to how close he is and before I know it, his lips hit mine, his thicker fingers traveling slowly to touch my thigh. 

They stay there while he slowly dips his tongue into my mouth, his lips caressing mine slowly, giving me the taste of Miles. His hand now feels heavier on my thigh, and just as it does, his hand starts to travel closer to my private area before going up the side of my stomach.

Miles's POV

Just as my hand travels up the side of Madison's stomach, I feel a buzz in my fucking pants. The ringing is loud and the buzzing gets even louder as I pull out my damn phone. 

I look at the screen that's flashing the name I hate; 'Asshole.' My lips are now detached from hers and I can't believe he dares to fucking call me and in the middle of this.

"Fuck." I whisper under my breath.

"What's wrong?" Madison's innocent expression looks up at me but I shake my head with a clenched jaw.

"I'll be quick." I give her a small smile before rushing into the men's bathroom, thankfully being all alone. I forgot that the fucking ring was still in my damn pocket. 

Valentina must have put the ring back in my pocket after doing laundry. I clench my jaw, taking out the ring and looking at the simple design. 

The delicate ring has clearly been cared for, it almost looks new and the small diamond on top is perfectly sculpted around the precious silver that holds everything together. 

I hold the ring over the sink as I examine it as deeply as I can. I look at the phone that's still vibrating in my hand, I almost forgot that my phone was in my damn hand. 

I look at the name on the screen again; Asshole. I quickly shove the ring back into my pocket.

"What?! What the hell could you possibly want? Why are you fucking reaching out to me after all these years of fucking silence, how fucking dare--"

"Miles, I have cancer." He says and I stop, completely fucking stop.