Chapter 156

I stare at the hole in the floor, the hole so small that nothing but a rung could fit in there, almost as if this was mean to happen but I still can't forgive them—neither of them.

"I . . . I can't believe you." I look at Miles. Jace parts his lips and his features turn angry, "What the hell is wrong with you?" He looks at Miles but Miles doesn't look at him, his eyes are fixated on the sadness in mine.

"I can't believe you either." I look at Jace and he completely stops. Mary's ring was something I wanted to have forever, pass down to my children and so on but now, I can't do any of that.

"Can we somehow get the ring back, tear up the floor? Something?" Jace asks the clerk who shakes her head, making the tears fall slowly down my cheeks.

"I'm very sorry but this shop was made on a budget and our floors . . . well, I'm afraid everything below us will be going straight to the sewers." The woman behind the counter says and I nod before grabbing the keys off Miels's fingers.

"I'm going back to Ohio," I tell them, both of them. My eyed are glossy and I almost feel like I don't need to blink.

"Madison, please." One of them says but I can't tell which one, I'm drowning slowly in my own fury and sadness. 

That ring meant so much to me, more than they'll ever know, and more than they'll ever care about. 

Without looking back I start to walk but quickly feel Jace's hand on me, it's softer than Miles's grip and much looser as if he's not really trying to hold me back.

"Madison." He says and I realize that he was the one to try and stop me earlier.

"You two need to get along, otherwise you'll both be left without me," I state before loosening my shoulder from his grip and walking outside to Miles's Porsche where I sit on the leather black seat and smell the colognes that I've wanted to smell for so long now. I turn the key and the engine starts to roar. 

I press the gas pedal and the car takes me further and further away from them. I can't handle the two of them constantly bumping heads, and now that it's their fault that they lost a part of my past and my future, it's the last straw I'm willing to handle of those two competing with each other.

Miles's POV

Fuck is all I can think. I see Madison driving off in my Porsche and even though usually, I would have stopped this kind of situation, I can't. I know what Madison is going through with my bullshit being the spawn of Satan that's killing our relationship and I know that she deserves to do this to the both of us. 

I never thought it would be such a big problem to be friends with someone who my girlfriend was friends with, heck, I was. When Chrissy had her guy friends I was cool with it, mostly because her guy friends were just Jacob but now everything has spiraled out of control so badly that I don't have my hands on any of this shit. I never thought I'd even have anything called a 'girlfriend.' 

The closest to a girlfriend I thought I'd ever get was Lacey, and now I realize just how far she was from meaning anything close to what Madison means to me which is exactly why I'm willing to handle the weasel in front of me.

"So are we going or not?" I ask him, smirking at the idiot in front of me whose brows have furrowed and who's clearly pissed off if I can even call it that.

"I'm going. Alone." He states harshly which only makes me roll my eyes as a reflex at the idiot.

"Don't you want to do it for Madison, you know . . . be friends or whatever the fuck?" I ask with a small genuine smile. Somehow playing with this loser is much more fun than I thought it would and it never ceases to put a smile on my face, no matter how much I'm fucking drowning at the thought of Madison not being mine.

"Fine." He murmurs under his breath, his upset is funny and I can't help but laugh. It's as if he's a puppy trying to get angry, no one would ever take this jerk seriously.

"I can't believe she wanted to go alone," Jack says as we approach his red car, more to himself than to me.

"Can't you though? Aren't you her best friend or something?" I bite.

"Aren't you her boyfriend or something?" Jace asks back and I clench my jaw.

"I shouldn't even be giving you a stupid ride." He says balling his fists and just then I notice how much more toned his arms have gotten, they're visible but still barely there. They're soft, only noticeable when he flexes, unlike mine, hard as a rock without me having to tell myself I'm not a damn meathead.

"Is all that working out paying off for the girls? You know . . . since you're not getting Madison." I smirk as he presses the gas pedal like a grandma.

"No, it's not for them . . . it's for myself, and . . . and Madison." He says.

"Right," I state, looking out the window.

"You don't deserve her, you know. I do. I've waited for her my whole life." He says and I clench my jaw.

"And yet she chose me," I smirk.

"For now, but not forever." Jace barks.

"And how can you be so sure?" I ask him and he smiles faintly.

"Because I'm ready to propose, and you're not." He bites and with that, I clench my jaw and stare out the window for the rest of this fucking stupid trip.