[twenty eight]

On the last day of their final exams for the term, the students at Hogwarts did not waste time packing their trunks for the train that leaves in two days.

Many of them were already planning where to spend their holidays, eager to leave the school and flee to the safety of their homes. A lot of the students were still apprehensive about their return to Hogwarts, but for the sake of their futures, they had no choice but to.

"As usual, you're invited for Christmas eve. Mum told me to repeat it over and over until you say yes." Ginny said during lunch "That invitation is extended to you now, too, Draco."

"I'll be there, Gin, I promise." Hermione grinned

"I'll have to see. Thanks, though, Weasley." Draco said "Blaise and Pansy have nowhere else to go. We usually just spend our lonely Christmases together."

"Theo?" Harry asked "Where's he headed?"

"Celine's estate." Draco said "Uncle Stefan has extended his invitation to Blaise, but Pansy's pride kind of gets in the way."

"Pride?" Ginny frowned

"She doesn't want to admit they have nowhere else to go." Draco shrugged "I'll let you know if I can drop by. I don't think I'll be able to stay away from Hermione during Christmas, anyway."

"Looks like everybody's taking their partners to meet their parents." Harry commented "I heard Viktor's hosting the Greengrass' in Bulgaria this Christmas."

"What's Elena got to say about your Christmas invitation, Ron?" Hermione asked "Is she coming?"

"She and her parents will be there on Christmas day. They already have plans for the eve." Ron shrugged

"Mum's excited." Ginny giggled "She's never met a girl from Durmstrang before. She reckons Elena will be a match for her feistiness."

"Honestly? I don't doubt that one bit." Hermione laughed

Theo joined their little group in the Gryffindor table with a peculiar look on his face "I need your help." He whispered

"What?" Hermione asked, her eyes wide

"Draco, may I borrow your girlfriend for a few seconds?" Theo asked

Draco looked confused, but waved them off anyway. Harry perked up "Hermione, I need you to help me with that vanishing charm for Kreacher. Can I meet you in the library after?"

Ah, the ring. Hermione gave Harry a thumbs up before leaving the hall with Theo. "Alright, what's wrong?"

Theo ran a hand through his hair. He looked like a mess, and Hermione was sure it wasn't because of their relatively difficult Charms exam "I need your help to brew a potion."

"What potion?" Hermione asked "Theo, if this is anything illegal—"

"No, not really. I mean, I don't think so." He shook his head "Look, I need help brewing Veritaserum. A strong one."

"What? Why do you need it?" Hermione frowned "Theo, if you're in trouble—"

Theo shook his head again "There's something I need to do before I do another thing I need to do." he was rambling, clearly in panic

"Alright. I'll help you." Hermione said "But this takes two weeks to brew, how am I supposed to help you continue through the holidays?"

"I need it by Christmas." Theo said "Do you think we can finish, then?"

Hermione counted in her fingers "Sure, I think."

Theo nodded "Great, you can come by the prefects' bath early tonight. I really need your help, please don't bail."