[eight]

Hermione woke to the melodic sound of Chopin's Nocturne in E. As a child, she had learned to play the piano through the lessons her parents had enrolled her in. Hermione loved playing the piano. There was something about the gentle movement of the hands through the keys that always relaxed her. With a contented sigh, she grabbed her shoes from the corner of her room and put them on. Was Draco playing music? Where was the piano coming from?

Surely he wasn't awake yet? Casting patronus charms is rather tiresome, and Draco tried it quite a few times before retreating to his room.

Hermione's question was answered as she quietly exited her room to descend the stairs. Draco, who was gracefully playing the piano next to the couches, hadn't heard her footsteps.

Hermione watched him play, his back poised so perfectly as his fingers ran through the keys. When Draco hit the final note of the piece Hermione loved the most, she rewarded him with a slow clap and a smile "I didn't know you played."

Draco, startled, turned to look at her "Excuse me? Are you questioning my breeding?"

Hermione rolled her eyes "Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware pureblood wizards were required to learn the piano. I think Ron lost the memo."

"First of all, he's a Weasley, I'm a Malfoy. That should be enough to answer your question." Draco rolled his eyes "It's customary for most pureblood families to put their heirs through several lessons. Instruments, languages, dances, you name it."

"I wasn't aware you knew a lot of things." Hermione smirked

"You are bordering offensive now, Granger, watch it." Draco tutted

Hermione laughed "This is payback for that comment on pet names, Malfoy."

"Aren't we supposed to be making the prefect pairs now?" Draco asked, changing the subject

"That depends, are you ready for the DADA class tomorrow?" Hermione raised a brow

"Perhaps."

"Yeah?" Hermione crossed her arms

"I'm ready, Granger." Draco rolled his eyes

"Okay, and if I don't see you in class tomorrow? What would your consequence be?" 

"Why do you care?" Draco asked, but his question was void of any negative emotion, just curiosity 

"I forgave you, didn't I?" Hermione sighed and sat on the seat facing Draco's piano bench "This is me actually trying to attempt our do-over." 

"Accio parchment and quill." Draco said, surprising Hermione with his wandless magic "If I'm not in class tomorrow, you can dare me to do anything. However, if I do show up for class, you give my friends a chance too." 

"Fair." Hermione smiled and caught the parchment and quill before they flew to Draco's hands "I'm in the mood for more forgiving." 

"I'm not sure you'll be hearing a verbal apology from Blaise, let alone Pansy." Draco chuckled "Theo, perhaps, but that's about all you can get." 

"I'll take what I can get." Hermione said "If they're as into this 'changing' project you've got going on, I guess it's worth giving them a chance." 

"Why?" Draco asked. He really still can't grasp the fact that Hermione Granger was willing to give them a chance. Maybe, from Harry he expected it, but Hermione? If anything, she was the one they've hurt the most. Next to Harry and Ron, maybe. 

"I'm just tired of the negativity, Malfoy." Hermione sighed and began writing on the parchment "We spent almost two years in living hell. People died, fought, and resented each other. I don't want to hold grudges anymore, it's fucking tiring."