[fourteen]

September Nineteenth

Hermione wasn't sure whether to mention to Draco that it was actually her birthday today. Did it matter? That she was spending her birthday lunch with him and not her best friends?

She wondered whether Harry or Ron even remembered. Perhaps this was the reason why Ron decided to talk to her last night. With a shake of her head, ridding her of her thoughts, she rummaged through her small closet for an outfit.

She wanted to look good, no scratch that, great today. Settling for a light washed denim skirt, she threw on a white tee and tucked it in. It was September, the weather was getting colder by the day, making way for the cold autumn breeze. Not wanting to spend the whole day shivering, Hermione grabbed a beige coat from the rack and slipped on a pair of matching kitten heels before rushing out the door. Heels; she barely wore heels, but today was her special day.

She almost forgot about the exchange students arriving today "Malfoy, we can't have lunch. We have to stick with the exchange students throughout the trip, remember?" she said as she hurriedly tied her hair into a messy knot.

Not hearing any response from Draco, she looked up to find him staring at her wide-eyed "Draco?" she called

Draco Malfoy cleared his throat and met Hermione's eyes "You look great, Granger."

Hermione blushed, but rolled her eyes "Did you hear what I said?"

"Yes I did. I completely forgot about that." Draco sighed before grabbing his wand from the coffee table; It seemed to be the only thing he was bringing to the trip. "Maybe we can have lunch with all of them, then. The reservation would be a waste."

"You had a reservation made?" Hermione asked "When did you even send the notice?"

"This morning." Draco shrugged and walked ahead

"Professor McGonagall is waiting for you both in the Great Hall." Dumbledore said as the pair went through the portrait hole

"Of course, thank you, professor." Hermione smiled before tugging at Draco's sleeve - they better hurry, otherwise the headmistress will have their heads. Despite the rush, and forgetting about the exchange students' arrival, Hermione was in quite the good mood. Her high spirits left her unaware of her oozing confidence.

Without another thought, she took Draco's hand in hers and rushed down the stairs. "Granger, slow the bloody hell down!" Draco exclaimed as he tried his best to not stumble over his own foot

"Why the hell does this school not have elevators?" Hermione hissed, but a small smile creeped on her face as they zoomed down the stairs

"Elev-what?" Draco hissed "Granger, you're not the only one looking quite gorgeous this morning. I'd like to keep my looks fresh, so can you please slow down?"

"Gorgeous, huh?" Hermione smirked as a blush spread along her cheeks, silently grateful for the fact that she was rushing ahead of Draco.

"I've said it. Not saying it again."

"Whatever you say, Malfoy." Hermione sang gleefully

Draco Malfoy wasn't always one to give compliments. She'll take what she can get.

When they finally reached the large doors leading to the Great Hall, Hermione brushed the non-existent dust off her coat "How do I look? Do I look like I just ran seven flights of stairs?" she asked Draco

"Ha-ha stop fishing for compliments, Granger. That's the last one you're getting." Draco rolled his eyes before pushing through the doors only to find their whole class, along with the professors, already in their places.