[thirty six]

The thing about planning marriage proposals is that many factors need to be considered. By the eve of New Year's, Draco was a nervous wreck. His mother's arrival was, as usual, his saving grace.

Narcissa Malfoy had only met Hermione's parents once. When Draco asked for her hand in marriage. The first day Draco spent with the Granger's, he was sure that he already had them wrapped around his little finger. If he were to succeed with his initial plan, he needed their go-signal as soon as possible.

The Granger's sent Hermione on a trip to the store that day, with an extra long list of things to buy. Narcissa floo in, and together, they spoke with the Grangers regarding the engagement.

"Dan, Jean, I know everything seems so fast and all too sudden." Draco said sincerely as they all sat together

"Draco, we've only been with you for a day and we love you already, but don't get me wrong, dear. One day is not enough to make sure our daughter will be in good hands." Jean shook her head

"Jean, the Ministry has left us all with no choice but this. There is no backing out now." Draco shook his head as well "Even so, I want to do this right. I want to show my respect for your family and ask for Hermione's hand properly."

Dan looked like he wanted to punch him, but he stayed on his seat quietly

"I am sure that Hermione has told you about our family and... our previous associations." Narcissa managed a bitter smile "I am here with my son, to assure you that those are no longer existent. We're lucky enough to have escaped that life and we can assure you with everything that we are that we're building a better life as we speak."

"My family's wealth dates back to the first pure-blood wizarding families in Britain. Hermione will be well provided for. So will our children and their grandchildren." Draco assured "In that matter, there shouldn't be anything you should worry about."

"Boy, my daughter has never cared about riches or vanity. She's always been simple, just as we brought her up to be. Wealth for her is knowledge, books, love and family." Dan said "It's why we approved of Ron."

"Dan." Jean is warned

"Their separation was so sudden. We're only starting to get to know you and now we're being asked to give our daughter away." Dan frowned

"Mr. Granger, I understand this might be upsetting. However, the chi—" Narcissa was interrupted by a squeeze of her hand

"It's alright, mother." Draco smiled at her slightly "Dan, I understand your apprehension. Even I would be this upset if somebody asked for my daughter's hand after only one day of being introduced. My arrival into your lives is very sudden." he nodded

"Good that we have an understanding." Dan said, thinking the conversation was already over. When Hermione told him and Jean about the ridiculous new law, he couldn't sleep for several nights. It was too ridiculous to even consider.

"I said those things not because I think they're what Hermione or your family is after." Draco shook his head "All my years of knowing Hermione would already brand into my mind that she isn't that type of girl. I merely put it out there for you to know that your daughter will never be hungry or homeless with me."

"Are you saying that with Ron, she might?" Jean raised a brow

Draco almost choked, but he kept his composure "Ron Weasley has been awarded a great sum of money by the ministry for his heroic efforts in saving the Wizarding World alongside Harry and Hermione. I don't think he'll have a difficult time providing for Hermione, if that's the case. However, I do believe that Hermione alone will do well enough to provide for herself and more. She's a brilliant and capable woman. Anybody who thinks she needs a man to depend on does not know her at all." Draco shrugged "All I'm saying is, with me, regardless of whatever might happen in the future, there will be security for her."