[forty one]

Draco wasn't planning on leaving Hermione alone in bed after the night she had. Draco's hand on her lower back was the only thing that made her comfortable enough to fall asleep. However, he woke with a start in the middle of the night, worried about his mother.

He sighed and looked at his fiancée, who was peacefully cuddled into his chest. Draco usually had no nightmares when Hermione was sleeping next to him, but for some odd reason, he had one tonight.

It wasn't vivid enough for him to remember every detail, but he just recalled their lives being in danger and that there were many many birds around Hogwarts.

Draco frowned and carefully unlatched Hermione's arm from around his waist, watching her eyebrows furrow for a second and then relax once again. Perhaps even in her sleep, she knew when he wasn't next to her anymore.

Draco slipped out of the room and carefully made his way out of the common room. He was planning on sending a patronus to his mother out in the hallway, but an owl was already waiting for him just outside the portrait hole.

"A little too late into the night to still be awake, Draco." Dumbledore hummed from his frame

"Bad dream." Draco answered, curiously taking the letter from the owl's beak. He recognized it to be one of his family's.

Draco,

I'm glad to know you're with your friends. With everything going on, you need to have each other's backs.

I know I shouldn't be asking. You're already back in school. However, would you mind excusing yourself from class for a day or two? There's much we need to talk about regarding the estate and the Malfoy bond between you and Hermione. I need to teach you how to control it or it'll drive you both mad.

Let me know if you can convince the headmistress to allow you. I'll have your room in our London flat prepared.

Sending all my love,

Mother.

Draco released a sigh of relief. His mother was safe. He had to figure out a way to keep her protected. Perhaps he can order house elves to guard her with their magic.

"Good news?" Dumbledore wondered

"Yeah, I guess." Draco shrugged. All these months staying in the Head Prefects' common room with him as their portrait, and Draco still hasn't mustered the courage to speak to the late headmaster properly.

"It'll all be fine, mister Malfoy." Dumbledore assured, his eyes twinkling "You best head back inside. I can hear miss Granger looking for you."

Great, he woke her up. Muttering the password, Draco entered through the portrait hole and found Hermione groggily walking down the stairs "Draco?" she called out

"Here, sweetheart." Draco said, walking up to her.

"Where'd you go?" Hermione asked, her voice small and tired "I woke up and you weren't there."

"We'll talk about it properly in the morning." Draco tenderly pressed a kiss on her temple "Let's go back to bed."

"Okay."

"Are you still having cramps?" Draco asked

Hermione shook her head, tugging at his hand to follow her up the stairs "I feel much better."