[nineteen]

Hermione watched as Draco walked around their common room, grabbing the things he had left lying around and placed them in his bag "Draco, talk to me." She said quietly 

Draco scoffed and tossed his bag on the couch "Talk to you? Hermione, you were the one that spent the entire night crying on my lap, then got up and left." he rolled his eyes as he shoved his wand in his cloak's pocket "I understand this is hard, but it's difficult for me, too. We're called a couple for a reason. It's not just you." 

"I know, I'm sorry. I needed some space to think, afterall." Hermione shook her head and fiddled with her thumbs "What are we going to do?"

"My answer remains the same, Granger." Draco sighed "The better question is, what are you going to do?"

Hermione sighed and mustered up the bravest smile she could "I want to keep this. I want to keep you." she said and walked up to wrap her arms around him "If I have to do this, then I'd rather do this with you. Yes, it's too early, but what's a good journey if you're not abruptly thrown into it, right?" 

Draco cupped her cheeks "Hermione, I want you to be sure." 

"I am sure." She nodded firmly "I'm scared, yes, but the only thing that's clear right now is my....desire to be with you and stay with you."

"Okay." he whispered and pressed a kiss on her forehead "Okay."

"You didn't think I'd let another girl whisk you away, did you?" Hermione teased 

"Never." Draco smiled and gave her a chaste kiss on the lips "Let's go, we have a crisis to manage." 

Chaos was already brewing in the Great Hall when they got there. Students from both their year and Ginny's were raging, some even tried to get them to answer questions 

"Do you know what's really happening?" Seamus demanded "The gossip can't be real, can it?" 

"Seamus, please go back to your seat. The ministry will clear things up in a minute." Hermione said 

"Granger--"

"Back to your seat, please?" Hermione said, her eyes piercing. The Gryffindor scowled and did as he was told "That was fierce, Granger." Draco whistled

"Go control the others. I think I've heard a dozen 'My father will hear about this' since we entered." Hermione teased with an eye-roll

"Dare they steal my line?" Draco feigned shock before heading over to the other side of the hall to control the uproar; ignoring the pang in his chest at the mention of what he always said. That was something born of the trust and pride he had in his father, which were gone now. 

Just like he will be in a few days' time.

"Malfoy, they're kidding, right?" Pansy exclaimed as she scrambled to match Draco's quick steps "Do you know what I've been hearing since yesterday? Where were you and Granger?" 

"Out on a lovescapade, no doubt." Blaise added, coming up on his other side 

"One, it's not my place to say anything, and two, no we weren't on a lovescapade." Draco rolled his eyes "McGonagall made us swear we wouldn't say anything, so we were sent to spend the rest of the night in our dorm." 

"Where is your dorm?" Blaise narrowed his eyes 

"Not the point of this conversation." Draco waved off "Will you two please stop hovering over me like dung flies and find your seats? The assembly should start soon."

"You better wish what we've heard isn't true, Malfoy, or it's your head I'll have." Pansy warned 

"Try me, Parkinson." Draco rolled his eyes and went to shoo a few seventh years away from marching towards the staff table