[nine]

"Okay, but are you sure this is okay? I mean, is it a good idea?" Hermione asked nervously as she and Draco walked down the hall to the dungeons for potions. Last night she learned that it was okay to be vulnerable in front of Draco -- it was okay to tell him about things that she held close to her heart . Hermione felt comfortable laughing with him during rounds and talking about the little things that made their childhoods happy. However, she wasn't sure if she could feel the same way about his friends. 

"C'mon, where did all your Gryffindor courage go?" Draco groaned "It'll be fine, I'm with you."

"I'm just not sure if they're as nice as you are." Hermione muttered "All those years were horrible, Malfoy." she added and looked away before he could see the hurt in her eyes. Sure she  was ready to forgive them, or give them all another chance. She had done it for Draco, and she is willing to do it again for his friends, but that doesn't change the fact that she had been hurt so harshly before. This got her thinking that maybe this whirlwind friendship might not be such a good idea after all. 

Draco took her hand, stopping her in her tracks "I know, and I'm sorry." he said quietly, not looking in her eyes, but at their hands "If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then you shouldn't. I'll respect that."

Hermione looked down at their hands as well, surprised at how warmly hers fit in his, "The kindness you've shown me, and the trust I have in you should be enough to give them a shot." Hermione sighed "This is all so new, I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize, I shouldn't have put this pressure on you as well." Draco shook his head 

Hermione squeezed his hand in hers and looked up into his eyes "You're doing quite a good job at this changing thing, Malfoy." she teased "Are you sure you're being real?"

"Very real, and I like to give my best in everything." Draco shrugged with a smirk

"Oi!" Ron's voice bellowed from down the hall

Hermione let go of Draco's hand as both their heads whipped to Ron's direction "Fucking hell" Draco groaned quietly 

"You have been at this hand-holding thing since last night!" Ron growled and pointed his wand at Draco "Yes, that's right, I saw you two. Have you forgotten I'm a prefect and I do rounds too?"

"What is your problem, Ronald?" Hermione sighed 

"My problem is him. I let it go last night, because maybe what I said was too much and you did need the comfort, but this? Until now?" Ron growled, his wand still aimed at Draco "Are you cheating on me, Hermione? Do you want to cheat on me with this scum?"

"Ron!" Harry exclaimed "You've gone too far."

"Cheat on you?" Hermione laughed coldly "Is that how low you see me now? You don't seem to mind when I hold Harry's hand or give him hugs."

"That's different." Ron snapped 

"Oh yea? How so, Ron? Exactly how is it different?" 

"Harry's not a bloody murderer trying to seduce you!" Ron yelled 

"Don't you dare make this about who you think Draco is, Ron." Hermione snapped "He has been more my friend and companion than you have been these last weeks. You don't know the comfort or the kindness he has shown me on the times you, my beloved boyfriend, hurt me. So, I'm sorry for holding his hand, because I sure as hell can't hold yours."

With that, Hermione spun on her heel and walked into the potions classroom, where she was sure all her classmates had been listening in. "Granger." a voice called from her left, where all the Slytherins usually sat.