Chapter Six

Bit of rude language, sorry if you are offended! :)x

Zayn could hear the sounds of his two little sisters playing with each other through the thin wall that joined their bedrooms. Their Mum was at the doctors, trying to get her hands on some sort of medication that would stop the voices in her head, and Zayn’s Father was out. He hadn’t seen him since last night. Zayn looked down at his bruised wrists and covered them up with his hand in embarrassment. It was his own fault, as always. He hated it when his scumbag of a Father came home drunk, and he was really loud. His sisters were in bed by atleast eight, so when his Dad came in at around eleven making lots of noise, Zayn snapped. God, he hated that cunt.

“Safaa! Get off my hair!” Waliyha yelled at her sister, and Zayn looked up from his scribbled art homework.

“Safaa! What are you doing?” Zayn called, before staying silent. More squabbles came from the girls, before Waliyha let out a yelp again.

“Zayn! She’s drawing all over my paper! Zayn!” Waliyha yelled, and then Zayn heard the sound of Safaa kick off and start protesting. Zayn got off his seat and went straight into the bedroom. They had a small house, the two girls had to share a room, even though the bunk beds barely fitted in their room.

That was another responsibility of Zayn. He had to make sure the girl’s room was clean, that their clothes were washed and ironed, he had to get them up in the morning and get them to school safely. It was almost routine to him. His Dad slept in until almost eleven, and some days he didn’t know if his Mum was going to get up or not. He couldn’t trust his parents to wake himself or his sisters up, so every morning he had to get the girls’ up, dressed, washed, fed, all while dealing with them either moaning or not co-operating. He had to also manage to make both their lunches, making particular sandwiches that they liked, as well as scrounge for any change he could find for his own lunch. He had to walk them to school, and then get to his own school, which made him late. He had to pick them up from school, which meant walking across town and trying not to be late. That was one reason why he had to skip his last lessons, so that he could get to the girls’ school on time. His sisters were his everything, along with his friends Niall and Liam, they were the only people he cared about. Liam knew about Zayn having to look after his sisters, but Niall didn’t. Zayn didn’t want everyone to know about it, because he didn’t want people’s charity.

Zayn walked into the girl’s bedroom, and saw the two girls wrestling each other. A CD of some band or other was playing, but wasn’t as loud as his sisters shouting at each other.

“Oi, oi!” Zayn shouted, immediately grabbing Safaa, since she was the youngest and lightest. Waliyha was starting to be too big to be thrown around, much to her annoyance. Zayn had Safaa tucked under his arm, as he grabbed a hold of Waliyha with his free arm.

“What’s going on?” He asked, trying to keep the two girls away from each other.

“She keeps trying to draw on my paper!”

“She won’t let me use her felt tips!”

“She kept hitting me!”

His two sisters started to pour out accounts of what happened all at the same time.

“Be quiet! Leave each other alone, you shouldn’t be fighting. Waliyha, share your felt tips, and Safaa, stop drawing on Waliyha’s drawings.” Zayn told them both, an air of authority in his voice. The girls weren’t that badly behaved, but Zayn did have to step in when they started fighting. They were girls at the end of the day, and that’s what they do, they fight. He let both girls go, and they both went off to do what he’d said again. He stood for a minute, before walking out of the room, and trying to get back into the mindset of his art homework, which was seriously overdue. As he walked back to his room, he stopped in front of his bedroom door when he heard the click of the front door. It opened slowly, and a groan emerged, before it slammed heavily.

His Dad was home.

Zayn immediately went back into his sister’s room.

“Girls, I have an idea. How about, we play a game of hide and seek, and then we’ll have a McDonalds, yeah?” Zayn suggested with a smile. Both girls looked up at him excitedly, and he knew they were about to go hyper. He placed his finger in front of his mouth.

“Shush, you have to be quiet. Go hide in my room, I’m going to go and get my wallet from downstairs…10, 9, 8, 7…” Zayn started to count down. He kept his voice low, and thankfully, his two sisters crept off quietly. He listened to them go into his room before he got up. He crept down the stairs, and heard the sound of his Dad’s loud snores come from the sofa. He must have been at work all day, he always collapsed out on the sofa after a day at work. Zayn took this as his chance, and rushed to the kitchen, and found his Dad’s wallet lying on the table. He rushed over to it, and quickly swiped a £20 note from it, and into his own wallet. He went through it and found a few extra pounds in change, adding them into his wallet, before placing it into its place. He quietly rushed back upstairs, with both of the girls’ coats in hand. He went into his bedroom and immediately heard the giggle of Safaa. He smiled to himself as he drew back the curtains, and saw his youngest sister there, grinning at him.

“Found you. I remain king, of hide and seek.” Zayn whispered, with a playful wink, which caused Safaa to giggle. Zayn turned around, and saw Waliyha’s feet tucked out from under the bed. He playfully took hold of them and pulled her out from under the bed.

“I win again. Come on, coats on. Let’s get going, you can both buy the king of hide and seek a big mac.” Zayn teased, before helping his sisters into their coats and their coats. He pulled on his own varsity jacket, before taking both of the girl’s hands and leading them as quietly as he could out of the house. He locked the door behind him, and walked down the street, trying to keep his sisters happy. He wanted to do anything to keep them happy, but he wanted them out of the house as much as possible, and away from their Father.