Chapter Sixty One

Zayn rolled over in his bed when he had heard the shuffling noises that were coming from the baby monitor on his bedside table. The small noises had woken him up, and it was now obvious to him that he wasn’t the only one who was awake. His heavy eyelids tried to close again, but he knew that he had to go and see his baby sister. Baby Aliyah had a habit of waking up at around three to four o’clock in the morning for a feed and a diaper change, and it wasn’t hard to put her back down to sleep, but it was hard for Zayn to have to get up at these times.

He shuffled out of his bed and plodded across the landing, knowing that he wouldn’t wake up Waliyha or Safaa, because once they were asleep they were always out for the count. His Mother was just the same, that’s why Zayn was always the one to look after Aliyah at night or early in the mornings. His Mother was still having strange turns, one minute she’d be fine but the baby’s cries always made her stressed again, which meant Zayn had to step in and look after the baby. This had lead to him not going to school in about three weeks. Niall and Liam would often pop in to see how he was, see the girls and the baby before dropping off any homework that Zayn had to do, but never did do. The pile of his homework that he had to do seemed to grow and grow, but everytime he attempted to even start it he was needed again to either look after Aliyah or cook the girls tea. He knew the baby would be hard work, but he didn’t know it would be as hectic as this. He was looking after four people that all needed him as much as the other, and it was so hard. There was a lingering thought that would pop up very often in the back of Zayn’s mind, and he did had to admit, he spent a lot of time pondering over it. He was having serious thoughts about dropping out of sixth form, but Harry would have none of it.

Harry, Zayn sighed to himself, missing his boyfriend. Zayn’s home life was now so hectic that he just couldn’t drop everything whenever he wanted to go and see Harry. He barely saw him, and could only text or call each other, but it was starting to become a big stress. Zayn was always too tired when Harry rang him and asked to meet up, which annoyed both boys immensely, even if Harry didn’t admit it. But, nevertheless Harry tried to help as much as he could. Every Friday he would take the girls to McDonalds for breakfast, and drop them off at school before he’d pick them up and spend some time with them, much to their delight. All Zayn wanted to do was go with them, but he couldn’t leave Aliyah on her own with her Mum, well, not just yet anyway. Plus, they didn’t have a pushchair or a baby carrier because they couldn’t afford it, which meant the small baby would have to be carried everywhere. His Mother didn’t really like Harry either, and Harry wasn’t allowed inside the house, which angered Zayn so much, but what could he do?

He opened his Mother’s bedroom door slowly and quietly, acknowledging how his Mother was fast asleep in her bed, even though the tiny, month old baby was laid in her crib, looking up at Zayn with big brown eyes. Zayn crept over to her and smiled down at her, before he bent down to pick her up out of the crib.

“Hey baby girl, that time again, is it?” Zayn whispered as he held the tiny baby in his arms, before grabbing a new nappy and a packet of baby wipes from a shelf next to the crib. He left the room with the tiny baby in his arm, before he walked down the stairs towards the kitchen. Everywhere you went in the house, it was filled with baby things, or the girls’ things. You wouldn’t even think a boy lived here. He placed the nappy and baby wipes onto the table, before he held Aliyah more securely in his hands, placing a kiss onto her soft forehead. He walked over to take a bottle of milk from the fridge and then placed it into the bottle warmer, and while it warmed up he laid a blanket onto the dining room table and placed the tiny baby on it.

“Stay still, it’s 4am babe, I’m all fingers and thumbs.” Zayn whispered with a slight chuckle as he tried to get the small pink onsie from the baby so that he could change her diaper. The small baby looked up at Zayn with curious eyes as she watched Zayn change her nappy, placing a small raspberry onto her podgy tummy, which made her smile and poke her tongue out in delight.