Chapter Thirteen

Zayn Malik was practically flying through the streets. He was an hour late, and he had absolutely no idea where his sisters would be. He raced across town to their school, darting through crowds of people, coming out of work, or doing late night shopping, and lots of students out with their friends in town before going home. He jumped onto a bus that went to the street where the girls’ school was. Both girls were at primary school, and he knew that their teachers would be looking after them if they were still there. They were clever girls; they wouldn’t go running off or walking home on their own. The bus started moving, and Zayn stood by the entrance of the bus, holding onto the bar for some balance, madly tapping his fingers against the bar. What if the girls weren’t there? What if they were in Bradford somewhere? His mind started to run over all these scary thoughts, so much in face that when the bus stopped at the stop near the girls’ school, he almost forgot to get off. He jumped off the bus and started of running down the quiet row of houses, the school being at the bottom of the road. He raced over to the school; it was starting to grow darker now, since the winter nights were slowly drawing in. What if they were wondering around in the dark somewhere? He rushed into the school gates, and the school looked empty, only a few cars in the parking spaces. He rushed into the main doors. He went here himself, and the teachers mostly knew him here, especially since he was the one to pick up his sisters most of the time as well. He went over to the reception, tapping on the glass quickly to get the attention of the receptionist. She looked up with a smile and drew the glass back.

“Are you alright, Zayn?” She asked. She was a fairly old woman, and Zayn could remember her working here from when he used to go there.

“Where’s Safaa and Waliyha? Are they here?” Zayn asked, slightly out of breath.

“No love, your Dad came and picked them up, don’t worry.” She smiled up at him. Zayn suddenly felt sick and angry inside, but forced a smile and nodded, before walking back out of the school anyway. His Dad? He had a bad feeling about this in his gut. His Dad never picked them up, what the hell was going on? He should have been here when they finished school, but if it wasn’t for Harry fucking Styles…that’s who he blamed, and his fists clenched together angrily because of the thought of him. He held him back, and made him late, and for that, he was going to pay. Zayn growled to himself angrily, before running back down the road, heading for his house.

“Where the fuck have you been?” Zayn heard his Dad yell the minute he stepped in the door. Zayn closed the door and closed his eyes and took a breath in, preparing himself for what was coming.

“My English teacher held me back…” Zayn started, before he saw Safaa come tiptoeing down the stairs. She rushed over to him and hugged his legs.

“Zayn, Mummy’s crying again…” Safaa whispered, before the sound of Zayn’s Dad in the living room scared her and sent her clinging to him. He was scaring them.

“And Daddy smells funny…” Safaa whispered again, and Zayn kissed her forehead.

“Go upstairs, put your music on, I’ll come up and have a dance with you and Waliyha in a minute, okay? Go, now.” Zayn whispered to her, forcing a smile and then pushing her in the direction of the stairs. She nodded and went back up the stairs. He heard her bedroom door click closed.

“What do you mean, held you back?” Zayn’s Dad growled out of nowhere, and suddenly Zayn was pushed to the floor. He looked up at his Dad and tried not to show the disgust he had for him.

“He held me back, I needed to do some extra work.” Zayn heard himself growl, picking himself back on his feet.

“Extra work? You’d still be a stupid son of a bitch if you did all the extra fucking work in the world!” His Dad snapped, pulling him to his feet and pushing him into the kitchen. Zayn went flying; his bag fell off his shoulder and tripped him up, sending him flying into the kitchen wall with a thud. Zayn hissed at the sudden contact on the back of his head.