Epilogue!

“This is so exciting!” Harry whispered, trying not to let the unmanly giggle escape from his lips. Zayn looked up at Harry and emerald eyes met chocolate brown, and both boys exchanged a love drunk smile. Zayn looked over every aspect of his boyfriend’s happy face, the temptation to reach over and place a kiss onto one of those perfect dimples being one of the hardest things he’d had to face that day.

“So exciting.” Zayn chuckled, before both boys looked down at the small, white and pink birthday cake. Zayn placed a single, pink candle in the centre of the cake, and both boys looked over at their masterpiece in wonder. The one pink candle represented the celebration of the long, happy year that they had had baby Aliyah. Zayn then pulled his lighter from his pocket and flicked his thumb against it, before lowering the ignited spark against the candle.

As the candle lit itself from the lighter’s energy, the two boys started to think of the year that they had had watching their girls grow. There had been restless nights and long, dragged out days, but there had been the great times. The hilarious stories shared at the dining room table, the proud moments when one of the girls did something that held achievement, but mostly, many moments when they would all cuddle up on the sofa every other night and just be in each other’s company. They had been the best moments.

“To the next year.” Harry toasted, both boys looking at each other again with proud smiles. Zayn replied to Harry’s toast with a slow wink, before a kiss was finally placed onto Harry’s pink lips. They exchanged another long look of love, before Harry took hold of the plate that the cake was sat on, and they both started to walk towards the living room, where the loud noises of their family celebrating were coming from.

In the living room, baby Aliyah was the centre of attention of Niall and Liam. Niall was currently holding the baby, an intense look of concentration on his face as the small baby sat in his arms happily. It had been the first time that he had been anywhere near a baby, and Liam was coaching him on how to hold one.

“See, she’s smiling at you, she likes you, Ni.” Liam chuckled, as he sat on the arm of the sofa chair, one of his hands softly combing through Niall’s blonde locks while the other kept tickling the baby’s podgy tummy. Harry had insisted that the baby was dressed in a little pink dress, with white tights and her first pair of proper pink shoes, even though the shoes were soon ditched as Aliyah kicked her feet in disagreement.

“She keeps wriggling, what do I do, stay still!” Niall urged the baby with a slight smile on his face, and Liam simply laughed, which made Aliyah look up at the boys with sparkly brown eyes, a toothless smile on her face.

“She’s a baby, she wriggles, babe.” Liam told his boyfriend again with a warm smile, before placing a soft kiss onto the Irish boy’s temple as a gesture of affection and encouragement.

“Babies do tend to move, Mr Horan.” Louis Tomlinson spoke up with a sly smile, looking over at his student to make him feel nervous again. Liam and Niall were still adjusting to the fact that they were hanging out with their teachers outside of school. Louis was sat on the edge of the sofa, prising his camera ready for the moment when the cake would be brought in.

Waliyha was sat at Louis’ feet, simply watching everyone around her and enjoying the funny banter that would travel across the room. Occasionally she would laugh happily when Louis would reach down and tickle her sides, even though Louis would get scolded for doing so by his girlfriend, Eleanor, who had been sat doing Waliyha and Safaa’s hair for the last half an hour. Safaa was currently sat inbetween El’s legs, occasionally letting out a sound of protest as Eleanor brushed out a knot in the young girl’s hair, before replacing it with a curl with her curling irons. When Eleanor had finished the youngest girls’ hair, the young girl gave a sigh of relief.

“Thank goodness, it’s so hard being beautiful.” Safaa burst out loudly, which made the adults in the room laugh. Waliyha simply rolled her eyes and tackled her sister to the ground.

“You’re only pleased that you’re head doesn’t look that big, for once.” Waliyha laughed, which made everyone laugh once more, before the topic was taken back to Niall’s wriggly baby comment.

“What do you guys learn in school nowadays, hmm?” Eleanor perked up with a laugh, and Louis looked from his girlfriend to the two boys across the room. Liam let out a laugh and took the baby from Niall, who now looked relieved, before sending back a reply.

“We could ask the teachers in the room? Hmm?” Niall jeered teasingly. Eleanor gave Niall a testing look as she got up and sat next to Louis on the sofa, Louis putting an arm around his the girl he was finally able to call his girlfriend. Eleanor and Louis were about to reply, when they were cut off by the presence of Zayn Malik entering the room.

“You should always listen to teachers, Nialler. You could end up marrying one, one day.” Zayn laughed, before reaching up for the light switch, the silver promise ring proudly sat on his left ring finger as he dimmed the lights.

“Oh good, the human equivalents of Switzerland are here.” Louis quipped with a cheeky smile, which was returned as Harry walked in, holding the small birthday cake in his hands, the small candle dancing proudly in the centre.

 Everyone let out a cheer from seeing the cake in Harry’s hands, and Zayn walked over to take his little sister from Liam, as Harry placed the cake on the coffee table in the centre of the room for all to see. Louis snapped a few photos of the cake in it’s glory, before Zayn sat down in front of the cake, his tiny sister in his arms, looking at the cake in wide eyed curiosity. Liam and Niall gathered around a bit more as Safaa and Waliyha sat down on either side of Zayn, the presence of the birthday cake exciting them.

“Okay guys, let’s get a family photo! Harry get in the photo!” Eleanor spoke up with a wide smile. Safaa and Waliyha started to urge him to get into the photo as well as Harry started to turn the offer down.

“Just because you wrote a novel and it’s getting published, doesn’t mean you can’t have your photo taken, sit down, Styles.” Louis laughed, which caused everyone else to laugh at Harry’s suspense as the tall young man slipped down to his bum, picking up Safaa and plonking her on his knee in the process. Zayn looked at him with a smirk.

“Not so hard, is it, sir?” Zayn chuckled, and Harry rolled his eyes, leaning over and placing a kiss onto the owner of his hearts’ lips, which Louis quickly took a photo of. A few more photos were soon taken, before Niall started them all off in singing happy birthday to the tiny baby who was the centre of attention, even though she probably had no idea as to what was going on. Once the singing had ended the small extended family erupted in cheers. Zayn looked around at his sisters and then Harry.

“Let’s blow out the candle all together, as a family, yeah?” Zayn told them with a wide smile, and Waliyha and Safaa jumped with excitement and shuffled further to the cake in readiness. Harry Styles smiled over to the younger boy, a lop-sided smile on his lips, those dimples popping out from his cheeks to greet Zayn. They both looked at each other, and as they did a flash of memories shot through their minds, as their consciences ran through their story. It may not have been the most perfect story, but it was their story, which meant that it was perfect to them.

“As a family.” Harry mumbled, his deep voice coming out low from his lips, and Zayn smiled back at him.

“As a family.” Zayn agreed with a proud smile, before the candle was blown out by the family.

Their family.