Chapter Nineteen

Zayn walked through the school halls. He had a few moments to kill before he had to go and pick up the girls from school, so he figured he’d go into the toilets, check that he looked okay. Niall and Liam always used to tease him because he did this, but he didn’t get why it was such a big deal. He couldn’t get over Liam. He really wasn’t acting like himself, and Zayn started to worry about this. He’d get to the bottom of it, but for now, he thought back to being in Harry’s lesson. Pfft, ‘Harry’. It didn’t feel right calling him Harry, or Sir, or anything. It didn’t feel right to call him anything. But then again, calling him Harry in lesson did piss him off, which was funny. It was fun to piss Harry off…watching him get all worked off really was going to be Zayn’s new hobby. Zayn pushed open the door of the toilets.

“Niall, what do you think you’re playing at? You don’t smoke, so why have you started? You know it wrecks your throat, how will you be able to do your music A-level if you’re ruining your throat?” Zayn walked into the guys’ toilets to be met with Niall and Liam. Liam turned around quickly, his arms folded across his chest, making his biceps become visible from under his white school shirt and blazer, anger still written in his face. Something was obviously up with Liam, and Zayn couldn’t just let him take it out on his bestest friends, especially Niall, who hadn’t done anything major in all fairness.

“He smokes, and you don’t go moaning at him!” Niall snapped at Liam, pointing towards Zayn. Well, Zayn was officially dragged into this now, he thought to himself.

“That’s because he doesn’t want to take music professionally, you’re voice is so amazing, and so talented, you’re being stupid if you think you can copy him and smoke, and still expect it not to impact your voice!” Liam told him, sounding exactly like how Zayn imagined any good Father probably sounded like. Of course, he wouldn’t know anything about that.

Niall was leant against the sink, and until then he had been looking at his feet, but now his head had snapped up and was looking at Liam in confusion.

“What do you mean, copying Zayn?” Niall asked, looking at Liam before glancing over at Zayn. Liam let out a slight laugh, which made Niall frown more. 

“Are you serious?” Liam asked, leaning against the sink counter. Niall gave him a deadly look, obviously getting too fed up of this conversation. If it was a conversation, it was more of an argument by now.

“Yes, I’m being serious, Liam. What do you mean I copy Zayn? When have I ever copied Zayn?” Niall asked, causing another laugh to leave Liam’s mouth.  That’s what got Zayn to start thinking. Liam was partly right…Niall had seemed like he was going out of his way to be more like him, but how had he not noticed that before?

“Everytime Zayn sneaks off for a smoke, you go after him! Everytime Zayn leaves the room you follow, when he walks into a room you follow him, you just skipped your science lessons to sit with him! How has no one ever realised this before?” Liam asked, throwing his arms in the air in confusion. Niall looked at Liam slightly hurt, and for a moment there was an awkward silence. Zayn didn’t know whether to stick it out in here, or make a runner, either of which will just make the situation worse, whatever he did.

“You hate smoking Niall, I know you do, it makes your throat hurt afterwards, and it makes you sound like you’ve had a sore throat, you don’t need to do it to impress him, it’s only Zayn, we’ve been friends for like six years!” Liam went on, before he looked away from Niall in frustration, scoffing to himself. 

“He doesn’t act like he tries to impress me, there’s nothing to impress?” Zayn heard himself speak up, and now Liam targeted him.

“Oh like you’d know, ‘Bradford Bad Boy’,” Liam started, gesturing the quotation marks as he spoke, “you just sit around and smoke and act all bad ass but you don’t even recognise that Niall is trying to impress you!” Liam spat out again, pointing at Niall, who was still looking at the floor, even though he was looking at Liam out of the corner of his eye.