Chapter Eight

Zayn Malik was sat at the normal lunch table he always sat on with his friends.  Olly and Ed were sat laughing about something, and Liam was trying to talk to Niall even though Niall was trying to keep Ed away from his food. Zayn would have joined in, but he had a lot on his mind. It was three weeks into the new school term, and he was already getting in trouble for not being able to do his work. His Mum hadn’t left her bedroom for days. She barely woke up, and when she did, she barely ate, barely spoke, barely did anything. His Father hadn’t even noticed. Zayn had to look after his two sisters more than ever, and he was also trying to get enough money to look after them. He didn’t have a job, and he only had £5 left to keep his sister’s fed properly. He didn’t have time to get a job, he couldn’t balance a job, school and his sisters all at the same time, so now, he was looking for other ways.

Zayn was sat looking across the lunch hall and over at Alex Johnson. He was in the same year, but he was a few months older. On the outside, he was a normal student, he knew lots of people, and didn’t tend to get into too much trouble, but, he knew how to get hold of drugs, and was known with students for selling them. There was a rumour that Alex needed a hand with what he called ‘deliveries’, and Zayn saw this as his only chance to get money.

“Zayn, what are you staring at Alex? I didn’t know you guys were friends?” Liam asked, as he realised how distracted Zayn was. Zayn finally took his eyes away from Alex and looked at Liam.

“Er, met him once or twice, free periods and stuff.” Zayn simply shrugged. It was true, on one or more accounts Zayn had met Alex, and he wasn’t that bad. He was just one not to be messed with, rather like himself. Niall now turned around and looked at what was going on.

“Met who? That new English teacher?” Niall asked, and Zayn saw the slight frown on his face. Zayn shook his head.

“We aren’t talking about Mr Styles…” Zayn simply said with a confused frown, which made Niall look down at his food sheepishly. Zayn looked back at Liam and saw the deep look in his eyes. Liam must have clicked on to what type of person Alex was.

“Zayn…” Liam started, but Zayn didn’t want this conversation or lecture. He quickly stood up, pushing his chair away from him as he did so. He gave Liam a stern look, and Liam rolled his eyes and looked back down at his food. Niall looked up at him suddenly, like a puppy.

“Where are you going, Zayn?” Niall called, his Irish accent rising above the noise of the cafeteria. Zayn didn’t bother reply as he set across the school hall. Lower years watched him go past with fright in their faces. He pulled the cigarette from the top of his ear and started to twiddle it through his fingers, while his other hand reached into his varsity jacket pocket and pulled out his lighter. Alex Johnson looked up at Zayn and raised his eyebrow at his incoming presence. Zayn reached his table and stayed quiet, as Alex watched the thin cigarette go through Zayn’s fingers for a moment.

“You smoke?” Zayn simply asked, his mouth set in a straight line. Alex’s eyebrows raised once more, before he looked at his friends.

“In a bit, lads.” He simply said, before the two boys walked towards the bike sheds.

“Let me guess,” Alex started, as the two boys sat next to a wall in the bike sheds. The September rain was gently pattering on the thin roof of the bike sheds. The light noise of the rain was followed by Zayn flicking on his lighter, a spark from it lighting the cigarette in Alex’s mouth. Zayn lit his own cigarette, had a short drag and looked back at Alex, so he could finish his sentence.

“You want £10 of pot?” Alex finished. Zayn looked away from him and into the distance. He took another drag, before removing the cigarette from his lips for a short moment.