Chapter Twelve

Harry Styles watched as his A-level class started to walk into his classroom for the last lesson of the day. He knew he wouldn’t be able to get them to do any work on a Friday afternoon, last period, so he figured he’d stick on a film to go with the course. Harry was in a generally good mood, and he adjusted his bowtie as he played around with trying to get the DVD sorted. The class were all talking about the film and Harry was occasionally adding into the conversation, until he finally looked up and saw that there was no Zayn Malik to be seen. For some reason, he felt extremely worried, even though from Zayn’s track record it was normal he was late, but Harry just felt worried about him. But, just as he was about to open his mouth and start teaching, the door opened and Zayn stood there. He walked in slowly, his uniform ruffled and messy, his normally perfect quiff was messy and in front of his face, still looking rather perfect, Harry heard himself think, and big, clear Raybans on his face. Harry rose his hand to gesture the young boy over to him. Zayn walked over to him, but Harry could see what was coming. Zayn’s hands were in his pockets, his shoulders were slumped and Zayn’s face was full of guilt. Zayn reached him and Harry looked up at him unimpressed.

“Essay?” Harry asked, with his last remaining bit of hope for the student.

“I couldn’t,” Zayn started to mumble, and Harry sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Sit down, Mr Malik.” Harry interrupted him quickly, and watched as Zayn looked down at him, anger building in his face.

“Sir,” Zayn started again through gritted teeth.

“Sit!” Harry snapped, with a frown. He would have thought that he was being harsh towards Zayn, but he couldn’t help it, he had tried to help Zayn and thought that they had finally reached a new level where Zayn was showing progress, but he was just the same, and didn’t give a shit about it. Zayn grumbled before walking over to his desk, being watched by the rest of the class. Liam was watching him warily. Harry watched as Zayn sat down at the back of the class, separated from everyone else because of Harry’s seating plan. Zayn leaned back, arms folded across his chest, his nostrils flaring from his angry breaths. Harry felt the pit of his stomach as he watched the student, all angry and frustrated. Harry bit on his lip. Was he…turned on? 

Harry quickly pressed play on the DVD to distract himself, before explain something to the class as the film started. Harry started to go through the papers on the desk as an attempt to organise his desk. He started to sort through a pile of Year Eight essays, when he saw his iPhone light up. A message from Louis.

“El’s got some girly date or something, fancy a drink down the pub, watch the football or something?:)” Harry dropped the papers back into a pile, before typing in a response of yes. He sent the message, before looking over the class again. Half of them looked bored, and one or two of them were taking notes. Zayn was sat at the back, arms folded, as he slowly rocked in his chair. As Harry made eye contact with him, he saw the two, deep chocolate marbles stare at him coldly before looking away. Harry slowly looked down at his phone.

“Hey Lou…this is a weird question, but how do you know if you like someone or not?”

Harry sent the message. He had a few other friends, but right now he was getting close to Louis, and he trusted him with a question like this. He then went back to organising his desk, piling some more handed in work into folders so he knew what was marked and what wasn’t, when his phone lit up. He sighed in frustration, still fairly angry because of Zayn, as a pile fell onto the floor. He checked his phone quickly.

“Ooo…who is the lucky girl or guy that you’ve fallen for?” Louis asked and Harry rolled his eyes.

“I don’t know if I like them or not…how do you know you like Eleanor?” Harry asked, typing in his response and then sending it to him, before realising he’d said that Louis liked Eleanor. But it was so obvious he did, even though he had no idea if something was going on or not. He put the phone back onto the desk, and picked up the pile of papers, which took a little while, before placing them onto the desk and checking his phone.