Chapter Nine

“Mr Malik, I’m worried about your performance in my lessons.” Harry started, as he and Zayn sat in the empty English classroom. Zayn was sat back in his chair, arms folded across his chest. Harry could see how his golden marbled eyes were set on staring out of the window, and not looking at Harry once. His dominant jawbone was tilted to one side, almost teasing Harry. The boy had a bone structure of a God. Harry sighed, and looked down at his desk. The rest of his A-level group had been handing in great pieces of work well in deadlines. It was only a few weeks in, and he’d only set two pieces of work for them to do, which were fairly simple, and yet while the rest of the class were handing it in with no problems, Zayn wasn’t. Zayn spent his time in class either rolling cigarettes or causing trouble. Harry looked up at Zayn, to see his reaction hadn’t changed. His ego had taken over him. He wasn’t the boy Harry caught playing with his sisters in McDonalds, this was the ‘bad boy’ persona. Harry would have loved to pull down Zayn’s ego, to get rid of the whole ‘bad boy’ image that Zayn carried around himself, but only Zayn could change himself, and Harry was extremely doubtful that that would happen anytime soon.

“You’re late with a couple of pieces of homework. Have you done them yet?” Harry asked, trying to sound friendly and calm. Zayn was like a ticking time bomb, he didn’t want to put his foot in it and get exploded on. Zayn scoffed, his chest rising as he did so, and the corners of his mouth twitched for a short second. Zayn kept his gaze away from Harry, but spoke anyway.

“Does it look like I’ve done it…” Zayn grumbled.

“Have you even started them?” Harry asked once more, trying to find out if Zayn was even trying with his work. Zayn rolled his eyes and finally looked at Harry.

“Why would I start something I don’t give two shits about?” Zayn retorted, annoyance thick in his voice. Harry sank down slowly in his chair. He didn’t say anything, he just looked at Zayn quietly for a while. Figuring this kid out was so hard. Zayn simply shook his head and rolled his eyes.

“Well this is pointless.” Zayn said, shaking his head. He looked out of the window again, and Harry watched as his fingers started to fidget. Was he nervous? Harry looked out to the roof, remembering the time he had seen Zayn there smoking. He slowly looked back at Zayn, realising he just needed a fix.

“You want to smoke?” Harry said after a long pause. Zayn looked at him quickly, his eyebrows furrowed together angrily.

“What’s this, some bullshit attempt to get me smoking so a bunch of other teachers can come in here and get me kicked out for it? You’re trying to get me into more trouble? What’s your fucking deal?!” Zayn yelled, jumping out of his seat in anger, and slamming his fists onto the edge of the desk, looking down at Harry. Those chocolate marbles were swirling around his black pupils angrily. His face was a few inches above Harry’s own, since Zayn was hovering over him. Harry gulped. He was getting lost in those eyes, and for some reason, he wanted to get lost in them.

“I just wanted to know if you wanted a fag…” Harry heard himself whisper. Zayn frowned at him, then, Harry watched as some traces of anger were left with confusion on Zayn’s face.

“It’s just, you seem edgy…if you want one you can have one, I’ll open a window.” Harry heard himself mumble again, and he wondered why he was producing such word vomit. Zayn slowly sat back down on his chair, before producing a cigarette and lighter from his pocket, even though he wouldn’t stop eyeing Harry cautiously. Harry simply smiled, before opening the large classroom windows next to his desk. If this was going to be the only way to get through to Zayn, then fuck it, he’d try it. In a matter of seconds, Zayn had lit up and was puffing away eagerly. Harry decided to let him get on with it, and so pulled out a nude magazine that he had confiscated from some of the lower school students, and put his feet on the desk before reading it. Suddenly, he heard Zayn laugh. The sound almost startled Harry at first, and he looked up at Zayn curiously.

“Ermm…sir?” Zayn asked, a sideways smile on his face. Harry suddenly grimaced and shuddered.

“God, I hate being called sir. I feel so fucking old.” Harry mumbled to himself, before he struck up an idea. Maybe if Zayn felt more personal around him, he might do better in class.

“If I have to call you Zayn, you can call me Harry, yeah? None of this hierarchy shit.” Harry chuckled, before looking up at Zayn, waiting to hear what Zayn had wanted. Zayn nodded, slight confusion still edged in his face.

“Is this supposed to be a detention or something?” Zayn asked. Harry chuckled slightly and shook his head.

“No, I was just waiting for you to finish smoking, before I have to be all serious and stuff.” Harry informed him, and Zayn nodded and looked back outside the window, blowing another smoky mist away from his lips and into the open air. Harry couldn’t help but sneak a look at how Zayn’s cheekbones emerged from under his skin everytime he either inhaled or exhaled. He felt a tingling feeling in the pit of his stomach and bit on his lip, quickly looking back at the magazine in front of him, although he couldn’t care less about half naked girls. There was another silence, before Zayn cleared his throat. Harry dropped the magazine, now he saw that Zayn was finished and took his feet down from the table.

“So, back to your homework. Are you having any problem with it or anything like that? Or essay writing or what? Give me some clue about what’s going on.” Harry asked, looking at Zayn intently. Zayn sighed and shrugged.

“No, it’s not hard…essays are easy…I love writing and stuff, but I just find it hard getting motivation for it. And time…” Zayn admitted, playing with the zip on his varsity jacket, which was underneath his blazer as usual.

“Well, how about I give you some notes about it? Then it’ll be easy to do.” Harry suggested, and Zayn smiled a little and nodded.

“Yeah, yeah can I have them please.” Zayn asked a little desperately. Harry smiled and nodded, before going through his pile of paperwork until he found them. He passed them over to Zayn, and saw the small smile on Zayn’s face and felt his own mouth rise slightly.

“Tomorrow afternoon, on my desk by the end of the day atleast, okay?” Harry told him, and Zayn nodded his head, as he folded up the notes and slid them into his blazer pocket. Zayn got up to his feet.

“Thanks sir,”

“Harry!” Harry quickly interrupted, even though he was too busy trying to hide the fact that Zayn had said thank you to him and almost given him a heart attack. A good heart attack though, he thought to himself.

“Thanks Harry…you’re…” Zayn started, he shuffled on the spot and cleared his throat. He looked down at his shoes and scratched the back of his head before finally looking up at Harry.

“You’re a really great teacher and I’m sorry for pissing you off and if you tell anyone I said that I’ll stab you.” Zayn gushed, his words coming out quicker than anything before he rushed out of the room. Harry looked in the direction he had went, before leaning back in his chair in disbelief.

“Fuck me…those cheekbones…” He whistled to himself, pulling out the nudey magazine with a triumphant smile.