Chapter Eighteen

Zayn Malik found himself up on the roof once again, Niall Horan sat next to him. They watched below as all of the students enjoyed their lunch break. Zayn had been up here all morning, skipping one of his art classes, and Niall even skipped one of his science classes to stay with Zayn. Although, Niall had sat squirming and going on about how much trouble he was going to get into with Liam. He was more concerned about Liam’s reaction more than anyone else. Zayn had told Niall about what had happened with his sisters and his Dad. Niall had been really understanding, although he had been really over-eager to help.

“Zayn…is there something I can do? You want to stay at my place?” Niall offered, after Zayn had told him his whole story. Zayn shook his head, as he sat with his arms balancing around his knees, his hands slowly playing with one of his many lighters.

“Niall, you know I can’t do that. I need to stay with the girls, your Mum or Dad wouldn’t let me move in with them, and bring the girls.” Zayn had told him matter-of-factly. Niall looked at him in despair, his blue eyes staring deep into Zayn, with some unbearable kind of look, which had actually made Zayn shiver slightly as he first saw it. 

“But you can’t stay at home…you might get hurt again.” Niall had spoken to him. He had whispered those words.

“I’d rather get hurt than drag you anymore into my business. You’ve been dragged into all this ‘delivery’ stuff, which I never wanted you to be in…” Zayn told him sternly.

“But Zayn,” Niall started, and Zayn shook his head.

“Niall, I don’t want help. I don’t need it, either.” Zayn told him defiantly, before looking away from Niall. The school bell rang, and for a few minutes the two boys sat and watched as all of the students beneath them scattered around likes ants, grabbing bags and rushing off to their next lessons. Zayn took a breath in, wondering what his sisters were doing at that moment, before he felt something slip into his hand. He looked up at Niall, and was about to speak but Niall interrupted him.

“I’m always here for you okay? If you ever just want to come round mine for a few hours or hang out…if I can do anything for you, I will!” Niall told him, causing the corners of Zayn’s mouth to raise slightly. He didn’t want the help, he didn’t want Niall to do anything for him, he was capable of looking after himself, but he forced a slight smile anyway, before looking down at Niall’s hand

“Will you keep your bloody hands to yourself…” Zayn had chuckled a little, before both boys looked at each other with a small smile. Now, they were sat back quietly, Zayn occasionally batting Niall’s hand away everytime it came closer to him to wind Niall up, even though Niall was starting to not find it as funny. Zayn’s phone started to vibrate suddenly, and he pulled out his phone to find a message from Alex. It appeared he had another delivery tonight. He really wanted to stay at home with his sisters…

“What’s up? Is it a delivery? Can I come? Maybe we can get a pizza afterwards, or before! Or go to that new kebab place that could be fun, we can use the money we take from,”

“Niall, shush, if anyone over heard us they’d think we were,”

“Gay?” Niall blurted out, and Zayn looked at him with a look of extreme confusion.

“…stealing money from people…” Zayn answered awkwardly, before Niall’s cheeks blushed and he looked away slowly, definitely taking his hand away.

“Why did you say ‘gay’?” Zayn asked, feeling suddenly nervous. Had Niall found out about what he and Alex got up too? What if Alex was doing something with Niall?

“Word vomit!” Niall yelled out, awkwardly. Zayn looked at him and gave a nod, both boys looking away from each other awkwardly. Niall suddenly reached out and grabbed the lighter from Zayn’s other hand, before pulling out a cigarette and putting it to his lips, lighting it quickly and inhaling it like he was on a warpath. Zayn watched him again for a moment, before his phone went off again. What did Alex want now…Zayn thought to himself, before opening a message that was actually from Liam.