Chapter Five

Harry watched from his classroom window as the heard of year seven gathered their bags and started to rush out of the room and towards the lunch hall. Harry gave out one last homework reminder to them, even though his green eyes never left the boys’ figure that was lying on the roof. He had kept a small eye on him throughout the lesson, and had watched from the moment that the boy had gone to the roof, seen how his friend had come and gone, and now watched as the boy was left alone again. Harry knew that students weren’t allowed on the roof. That was just common sense that students weren’t allowed on the roof, but for some reason, Harry didn’t want the boy to get off the roof. He didn’t want to lose the sight of Zayn Malik, laid out on the roof, his eyes to the sky in deep thought. He shouldn’t have been so fascinated by the student. He was just a normal student. Harry wondered for a moment if this was what normal teachers did. They felt connected to all their students, but had a certain student who they almost longed for. They longed for the student to do well, because that’s what Harry wanted. He was worried that Zayn was a troubled student. These ‘bad’ students were always troubled. They weren’t bad, they were misunderstood.

Harry looked away and got up to clean the board, and after doing so, he took one last quick glance to see that Zayn had left the roof, and for some reason, Harry felt an overwhelming sense of loneliness now.  That was until there was a light knock at the door, and the door was slowly pushed open, to reveal a young man and woman, around Harry’s own age. The man walked in first, he had on a light blue shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and his messy hair across his forehead. The woman followed in with a warm smile on her face, her brown hair was wavy and pinned up, even though her centre parting fringe framed her face. Both were absurdly good looking to be teachers, Harry thought.

“Knock knock! You must be Harry Styles, the new teacher.” The man spoke up first, as they both walked into the classroom and over to him. Harry smiled and nodded, getting up to shake both their hands.

“Yeah, that’s me. I guess I’m famous already.” Harry chuckled, desperate to make some kind of friend that wasn’t a student.

“Well, you’re definitely the talk of the school. I’m Eleanor Calder, I teach Law to the sixth formers. This is Louis.” The woman, Eleanor, introduced herself and her friend.

“I studied law.” Harry added, to make idle conversation. He had to admit, even though he was glad of the new company, his head was still distracted with thoughts of Zayn Malik. Why?  

“I bet your teacher wasn’t as good as El.” Louis winked. Eleanor rolled her eyes and laughed to herself.

“Louis, shut up.” Eleanor laughed, elbowing him before turning back to Harry.

“There aren’t many other young teachers here, so we wanted to ask if you want to have lunch with us.” Eleanor continued, before they both looked up at him with hopeful smiles. Harry suddenly felt himself relax and eagerly nodded and smiled.

“I’ll be down in about ten minutes, I just need to sort some stuff, and gather my mind.” Harry chuckled, and they both laughed and nodded.

“Yeah, we’ll meet you in the staff room, come on down whenever.” Louis said, and they both stood up from leaning on the edge of the table. Harry sent them another grateful smile and nodded, and watched as they both left. He went through a few piles of paper, and readied worksheets and texts for his next sets of lessons, before finally leaving for the lunch hall.

Harry walked across the school lunch hall, feeling more like the new student rather than the teacher. He was getting the odd stares from the boys that were everywhere. He thought coming to an all boys’ school would be easier than dealing with teenage girls, but all these guys looked like they could knock him out. He took a mental check to go to the gym more, as he headed towards the food. His stomach was starting to rumble and groan as he headed for the counter, but out of all of the eyes that were staring at him, he felt a chocolate eyed stare from over his shoulder, and glanced around to meet the eyes of Zayn Malik from across the hall. He was seated with a load of other boys, and simply looked away, but as he did, he caught the venomous, stare that he was being sent from a blonde boy, sat opposite Zayn. For some reason, Harry felt himself shudder, and he clamped his fists together and they felt warm and clammy. He whipped his head back around and away from the stares and over to the food cart. He grabbed the food he wanted, and he had to admit, the food didn’t look that good. Maybe he should start bringing in his own lunches. He went to leave the lunch hall, and took one last glance at Zayn, who was facing the other way and left the hall, his feet slowly heading towards the staffroom. Wherever that was…

Why did he feel so weirdly attached to Zayn? He barely knew the kid, yet when he entered a room, he immediately searched for him. Harry shook himself at his stupid behaviour, as he opened the huge staff room door. He spotted Louis and Eleanor almost immediately and headed over to them.

“This food looks really bad.” Harry admitted as he sat down, and Louis and Eleanor looked at each other and laughed.

“That’s just what we thought on our first day.” Louis laughed, chucking a bag of crisps Harry’s way. Harry smiled at him gratefully, before looking up and realising Eleanor was staring at him with an eager smile. Louis must have then noticed, because he frowned at her and nudged her knee with his. She looked at him curiously.

“Why are you looking at Harry like he’s a pair of half priced Louboutins?” Louis said sassily, and Harry found himself smiling. These two looked a really funny pair.

“I just…I want the gossip! Look at his face, that small smile, little glistening in his eye, he looks smitten!” Eleanor laughed, and Louis frowned and looked from her, to Harry, and back to Eleanor.

“El, you’ve known him for five minutes.” Louis reasoned with her, rolling his eyes and going back to his lunch.

“You’re underestimating my womanly knowledge, Louis.” She retorted with a cheeky smile, sending him sideward glance, before she glanced back at Harry.

“So, who is the lucky girl or guy? What are they like?” she asked, and Harry couldn’t help but chuckle as he saw Louis start to pull faces behind Eleanor’s back. Harry looked down at his shoes for a moment, before looking back up at Eleanor with a shrug.

“I have no idea.” Harry answered honestly.