Chapter Thirty Four

Liam Payne had to admit that he was practically jogging through the school corridors. The rest of the younger year students around him were all loitering and taking their time as they made their noisy way to the cafeteria for their lunch, but Liam was meeting Niall in the library, and he couldn’t wait, even though he had never felt more nervous about anything. Even exams didn’t feel this nerve-racking!

He saw the large wooden doors that sealed off the old library in the school, and forced his way through a bunch of year tens, receiving a few glares in doing so, before he pushed open the heavy door and walked into the library. It was quiet is there, but that’s why he liked it. The library was a solitary place to relax, gather himself, and do some work while enjoying the smell of all of the large books that had been stored here for decades. But, today wasn’t like that at all. Liam felt fidgety, a side effect of the nervous butterflies making a mockery out of his stomach. He couldn’t keep himself still, his hands kept finding something to preen, whether it was his ruffled up hair, or his sleeves or tie. He looked around the library, and saw Niall sat on one of the small sofa chairs that were gathered around a ‘non-quiet’ zone. He would pick that zone, Liam thought with a chuckle. Liam looked over at him, bracing himself for what he was about to do. After years of secretly liking Niall, he was finally going to own up to the Irish boy, and express all the feelings he had for him. He hoped.

“Li!” Niall called over as he looked up and realised Liam was heading over to him. A passing by librarian scowled at him as she walked past, and Liam couldn’t help but let out a quiet chuckle.

“Even if it’s a non-quiet zone, Nialler, you still have to bear in mind it’s a library.” Liam spoke, as he sat on a chair opposite to Niall, dropping his schoolbags by his feet in an attempt to make himself comfortable, even though he wasn’t. Niall was smiling at him; his eyes bright, and his blonde hair all gelled up. He made having brunette roots look good. Who else could do that? No one, that’s who, Liam thought, pulling himself out of his trance.

“You picked the library, knowing I’m the loudest guy here.” Niall replied, before both boys let out a quiet laugh. The laugh died down, and they both exchanged a long minute’s worth of eye contact before the atmosphere grew a little awkward. Liam looked down at his sleeves and started to fiddle with them once more. It was awkward, everything was awkward, he was so nervous, and what if he was sick on Niall? Niall would never like him if he threw up on him! 

“Oh shut up, shut up!” Liam whispered to himself sternly, when he realised the amount of verbal vomit that was going on in his normally calm head. Niall was looking at him with a strange look.

“Hey Li, you okay?” Niall asked, leaning over and placing his hand on Liam’s knee, stroking his leg gently. Liam’s brown eyes wandered along his leg to where Niall’s hand was, before slowly looking up his arm and then finding himself staring into a pair of worried looking blue eyes.

“You look a bit pale…a bit, different.” Niall spoke up softly, and Liam shook his head.

“I’m fine, honestly.” He practically squeaked.

When Niall had kissed him last weekend, it had felt like heaven. It had been everything that he had waited for, and more. He had stared at Niall’s lips on more than one occasion and had deduced how heavenly they would be, but the only way he could describe their kiss was a whole new word. Was there a place higher than heaven that he could describe the kiss as? Now, as he looked at Niall, that was all he wanted to do again. He wanted to say everything, but his nerves were getting the better of him.

“Do you want to talk about last weekend?” Niall mumbled quietly, slowly taking his hand away from Liam’s knee. Liam found the courage to nod his head. Niall then nodded in response, and leaned back in the chair, biting on his fingernails, like he always did.