Chapter Seventeen

Liam Payne watched as Zayn Malik walked into their form room with Niall. Zayn gave a yawn as both boys sat down, Niall sending a happy smile towards Liam.

“Hey Li!” Niall greeted happily, and Liam couldn’t help but smile as Niall sat down opposite him.

“Hey guys! How are you?” Liam asked warmly, before Zayn gave another long yawn. Liam was about to laugh and make a comment about how tired he was on this Monday morning, when he noticed how Niall’s blue eyes looked up at the side of Zayn’s face, a mixture of shock and confusion. Liam had a weird feeling in his gut as to why Niall was looking at him like that, and all he could think about now was Alex Johnson. For some reason, Liam felt himself up his guard at this thought, and leaned forward to see what had caught Niall’s attention on Zayn’s cheek.

Liam knew that Niall often looked fairly longingly at Zayn, which annoyed him a lot in all honesty, but this was different. This was very different. Niall was looking up at him with shock all over his face, and there was a type of sadness in his eyes that worried Liam. Zayn looked towards Liam suspiciously, and that’s when Liam saw it, and his mouth fell open slightly. Zayn suddenly realised that both his best friends were staring at his face, and subconsciously covered up the bruise that his father had left him under his jaw. The bruise was small, but it was black and blue, and obvious no matter how hard Zayn had tried to hide it with his school shirt, varsity jacket and blazer.

“Guys, cut it the fuck out!” Zayn suddenly snapped, pushing Niall away from him as anger flashed across his face. Liam stayed where he was, even though Niall sat back in his chair sadly, looking at Zayn like a puppy.

“But Zayn,” Liam started, but Zayn looked at him with annoyed eyes.

“Just shut up, okay?” Zayn growled, looking at Liam angrily. Niall watched him warily, leaning over and stroking his arm, which at first made Zayn flinch from the sudden contact, before easing into it a little bit, not looking at either of his friends.  

“Just shut up…yeah? Leave it.” Zayn said weakly, before getting up and going to leave the room. Liam watched him go quietly. If he tried to chase after him they wouldn’t get any information from him and it would just wind Zayn up more. Liam sighed as the form tutor walked into the room, taking one look at Zayn as he walked towards the door. Their form tutor was a grumpy, middle-aged man. He taught English, but was a terribly boring teacher.

“Sit back down, Mr Malik.” He told him sternly, and Zayn ignored him, pushing his hands into his pockets as he continued to leave the room.  

“Mr Malik.” The form tutor said again grumpily, clearly as moody as Zayn now was. Zayn was about to turn around and snap back a retort, when the door opened and Mr Styles entered the room. He had on a light blue shirt, the sleeves rolled to his elbows. He had some papers in one hand, his other hand swooping through his hair. Liam cursed under his breath. Zayn was angry and in a mood, the last thing he needed right now was for Mr Styles to walk in.

For some reason, as Liam observed, Mr Styles and Zayn seemed to have this weird tension between them. They were like two male lions, the other always wanted to be seen as the better, but there was something else behind it…something deeper. It was in the way they were now looking at each other. Mr Styles was looking at him with wide, green eyes, like he hadn’t seen him in a long while, whereas Zayn was looking at him through narrowed eyes.

“Sit down, Mr Malik.” The form tutor told him dominantly through gritted teeth. At the front of the small classroom, there was their form tutor, his arms folded, looking at Zayn unimpressed. Mr Styles was stood by the door, looking at Zayn warily, like he was some sort of angry dog waiting to snap at any moment. Zayn was in the middle, and the small group of sixth formers in the room were all watching anxiously. You could always tell when Zayn was about to snap. Zayn slowly turned around and was about to snap at their form tutor, when Mr Styles gently put his hand on Zayn’s upper arm.