Chapter 20: Mad Dog

No POV:

   For the past few days, you've been contemplating your feelings for Oikawa. You can't seem to understand why you feel the way you do about the boy. And why you see him differently from the others. 

   You've been getting easily flustered when the boy teases you. For some reason, you can't tear your gaze away from him either. It was a strange and foreign feeling for you.  

   The sound of squeaking shoes and volleyballs hitting the floor pulled you out of your thoughts. 

   You look up from your journal to see Oikawa jump up to set the ball. The blockers were too busy watching Iwaizumi to notice Oikawa's form. Oikawa tipped the ball over the net like it was nothing. The ball landed on team two's court, meaning team one wins. 

   Team one celebrates as team two collapses to the floor due to exhaustion. This was the third set they've played today.

   You and Kimiko handed them their water bottles and gave them some praises. 

   You hand Oikawa his water and the boy gratefully takes it from your grasp. Though when he goes to grab it, his hand grazes over yours. Your heart flutters at the contact as your cheeks turn a faint shade of red. 

   What the hell's wrong with me? You ask yourself, trying to calm your racing heart. 

   "Hey, Shorty, did you see that last setter dump!?" Oikawa asks you with a smile. 

   You turn away from the boy. "I have no idea what you talking about," You state, refusing to make eye contact with him. 

   "Lier! I saw you smile when I got that point!" Oikawa yells, exposing you. 

   The red on your face gets more intense. "S-Shut up!" You exclaim defensively. 

   "Awww did you just stutter L/n-chan~?" 

   Oikawa got even closer to you, wanting to tease you even more. Though that wasn't great judgment on his part. 

   Without thinking, you turn around and punch the brown-haired boy in the stomach.

   He immediately hunches over, gasping for air. You start to feel guilty almost immediately. 

   "S-Sorry, I-I'll stop," The boy says while struggling to inhale. You laugh nervously at the situation and then walk over to help Oikawa. 

   Meanwhile, the rest of the team watched as the two of you interacted with each other. 

   "They should just get together already," Makki states with tired eyes. It was stressful for him to watch the two of you. Actually, it was stressful for all of them. They all know that you like each other, so it was exhausting for them to see you like this.      

   "When do you think they'll see it?" Iwaizumi asks.

   "10,000 yen says it won't be until after Spring-Highs," Matsukawa says, making a bet on your relationship with Oikawa. 

   "Nah, it'll definitely be before then," Makki states with confidence. 

   "I think you forgetting how oblivious L/n is. I mean she's got all the underclassmen after her and she's got no idea," Matsukawa reminds Makki. 

   "Right... I forgot about that," Makki says. 

   After that, the third-years tune back into you and Oikawa's conversation.  

   "No, milk bread is superior," Oikawa states with confidence and pride.

   "Are you delusional? Strawberry pokies are better. You just have no taste," You shoot back with a disgusted expression.