Chapter 37: Home

No POV:

   Why? Why did it have to be them? Oikawa asks himself, unable to tear his gaze away from you. 

   Why me? Why does my luck always have to be this shitty? You think to yourself, e/c orbs glued to Oikawa's figure. 

   "L/n..." Oikawa whispers, eyes widened and heart hurting. He wants nothing more than to call out to you, tell you how much he likes you, shout it at the top of his lungs, but the moment you make eye contact, he's at a loss for words. His throat becomes dry, unable to utter another noise. 

   The three Shiritorizawa third-years stop in their tracks, eyes finding Oikawa. 

   Ushijima takes note of the conflicted emotions displayed on your features, stepping in front of you so Oikawa can't see you. 

   Oikawa feels his heart break as he realizes what Ushijima's doing. He was protecting you from him. 

    Sadness and despair become evident in the boy's chocolate-brown eyes. Never did he ever want that to happen. Someone else protecting you from him. At this moment, Oikawa's world feels as though it's shattered into a million pieces, unable to be put back together. 

   When Ushijima steps in front of you, it takes you a moment to figure out what's going on. Your eyes widen when you realize he's standing in front of you. 

   "Oikawa," Ushijima greets the boy in a threatening tone, anger apparent on his features. The other two boys stand next to him, making sure Oikawa can't see you. 

   Oikawa grows even more surprised at their actions, getting angry himself. 

   Of course, she had to go to Shiritorizawa. Did she do all this just to hurt me? Oikawa asks himself, all the emotions he's feeling become too much for him to handle, turning them into rage. 

   "I need to talk to L/n. Please move," Oikawa tries asking politely, but his anger bubbles to the surface. 

   Instinctively, you grab onto the back of Ushijima's shirt with both hands, not wanting to speak to Oikawa.  

   "Yeah, how about no," Tendou responds, his head tilted up, so he's looking down on the brown-haired boy. 

   Oikawa presses his lips together, then says, "I need to talk to her about what she saw."

   Your eyes widen at this as your grasp on Ushijima's shirt becomes tighter. Maybe he does care...Wait...What am I thinking?... If he did, he wouldn't have kissed Saki, You think, shutting your eyes in an attempt to stay calm. 

   "Oikawa, I think you should go. You're not making things any easier for F/n by being here," Semi states, crossing his arms over his chest. 

   Frustration seeps into Oikawa. He knows that there's no way he can get to you with those three as your bodyguards. 

   Right as Oikawa goes to say something, he sees Ushijima turn to you. You had tugged on his shirt to get his attention. 

   "Can you move?" You ask, the volume of your voice low and the tone sad. 

   Ushijima hesitates for a moment but gets out of your way.  

   When you make eye contact with Oikawa, his expression softens, looking at you with questioning eyes. 

   "Oikawa," You begin, grief painfully apparent in your tone, causing Oikawa to flinch. He always enjoyed the way you say his name, but now...it's different. "I don't want to talk to you. I'm leaving," You state, turning around and walking in the direction you came from. The rest follow.