Chapter 15: Interhigh-Preliminaries (Finals)

No POV:

   Today was finally the day. Aoba Johsai gets to compete against Shiritorizawa yet again. This time Seijoh was sure that they're going to take home the victory. 

   The bus ride to the gymnasium was full of energy. Everyone is ready to play hard. Oikawa was quieter than normal. He was concentrating. The boy's eyes were closed as he faced forward. 

   Today he didn't sit with Iwaizumi. Instead, he sat next to you. You looked over at him every once and awhile, just to see if he was still breathing. Eventually, you couldn't take the silence anymore.     

   "You better not shut down on us," You said, putting your phone back into your pocket. 

   "Who says I'm shutting down?" Oikawa said, still not opening his eyes. A part of him was scared of losing to Ushiwaka again, but the other was trembling with excitement. 

   "Just checking. You looked like you wanted to shit your pants," You say with a mischievous grin. Oikawa opened his eyes and looked at you intently for a good minute. You started to get a bit flustered. 

   "You know you're a lot like Iwa-chan," Oikawa said. He was being serious too. You both loved targeting him, and you could get pretty aggressive with him at times. You're like a female Iwaizumi, just calmer. 

   "Huh? I don't follow," You said with a confused look on your face. 

   "You really don't see it?" Oikawa asked with a bead of sweat dripping down his face.  

   You shake your head no. The brown-haired boy lets out a small sigh and looks back towards the seat in front of him. You do the same. 

   After a few minutes of silence, Oikawa spoke up. 

   "What do you think of Ushiwaka?" The boy asked. He couldn't get over the time the two of you acted so close. When he used your first name. At least with Kageyama, he could understand. The two of you are cousins. But Ushiawa? How did the two of you get to be so close? 

   "Oh, Wakatoshi? Well, he's really blunt. Not in a bad way but in an amusing way. Like you think he's being an asshole, but he's just being straight with you and that makes it so much better. Overall I'd say he's a pretty cool guy." You look over at Oikawa to see a look of disgust plastered all over his face. 

   "Tch. Well, I don't like him," Oikawa said as he began to pout like a child. You rolled your eyes. 

   "Why, because he's a better player than you?" You asked raising your eyebrow. 

   "YOU'RE SO MEAN!" 

   You giggled at his little outburst. When Oikawa heard this, all the tension left his body. You had that kind of effect on him. He felt so at ease. As you continued to laugh, he stared. The boy couldn't take his eyes off you. When you smile, his world gets a little brighter. 

   You contained yourself after about three minutes of laughter. You look up to see Oikawa staring at you. He does that way too much. 

   You start blushing when you see the way he's looking at you. He has a small smile on his face and the boy is looking at you with the most caring eyes. 

   "Hey, Shorty." 

   "Y-yeah." 

   "I promise you, we'll win. And go to Nationals," Oikawa promised with the most determined look you've ever seen on him. You smirk and look towards the front of the bus. 

   "You better." 

~~~~

   Your team arrived at the gymnasium. As the boys got ready for the finals, you went to use the bathroom.