Chapter 24: Spring Interhigh-Qualifiers (Part 1)

No POV:

   "BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!" 

   As soon as your alarm sounds, you awaken from your slumber and jump out of bed. You try to shut the thing up as quickly as possible, but it takes you a while to push the button. 

   Once the clock is finally shut off, you sprint to the shower. 

   On any other day, you would hit snooze seven times until you'd consider getting up, but today was different. It's the first day of the Spring Interhigh-Qualifiers. Your excitement had kept you up almost all night. No way in hell you were going to sleep through this. 

   Once you finish your shower, you pull your hair into a ponytail and put on your uniform. 

   You walk out of your bathroom, entering the kitchen where to your surprise, you see your father, a computer in front of him with a plate of food on the table.    

   You look at the man in shock. He was never up this early. Once he noticed you, he smiled, motioning for you to sit and eat. 

   You take a seat and examine the food, making sure it's not poisonous. 

   "You don't have to be so surprised, F/n," Your father sighed. 

   You look up from your food, meeting the man's gaze. "Are you feeling okay today?" You ask, concern laced in your voice. 

   "Can't I do something nice for my daughter?" He asks through tired eyes, looking back to his computer. 

   You shake your head. 

   The man sighs once again. "Today's an important day for you. I want to be there the best I can," He states, eyes still glued to the computer screen.  

   Joy fills your body as you pick up your chopsticks and begin eating. "Thanks, Dad," You say through a mouthful of food. 

~~~~

   After about 20 minutes, Oikawa arrives at your apartment. He knocks on the door, as usual, panning on crawling through your bedroom window if you don't get outside in the next 5 minutes. 

   Though, he didn't need to go through with that plan after all. The door swung open, revealing a large, middle-aged man. He looked to be about 6'5, making him even taller than Oikawa. 

   The boy gulped as his gaze met the man. 

   "Who are you?" Your dad asks, curiosity laced in his tone. 

   As Oikawa goes to answer, you slip out the door, ducking under your father's arm that was resting on the doorframe. 

   "His name's Oikawa Tooru. He's the captain of the volleyball team. Oikawa lives near here, so we walk to school together," You answer. 

   Your father examines the brown-haired boy, making him nervous. Then he gives Oikawa a small bow. "Take good care of her," He states. 

   This action shocks Oikawa. He didn't expect your dad to be like this. Especially with the intimidating appearance. 

   You and Oikawa both blush. 

   "I-I will," Oikawa stutters. 

   You face-palm, grabbing Oikawa by the wrist and pulling him towards the school. "We've got to go. See ya tonight, dad." 

   Your dad waves to the two of you and makes his way back inside. You and Oikawa continue your journey to school. 

   After a while of walking, Oikawa speaks. "So that was your adopted father? I don't think I've ever met him before."