4. Again

The next morning, I woke long before the others and packed up my trunk. Around eight, I headed downstairs and ordered my breakfast of tea and a scone to eat while I read my book. Soon Mr. Weasley sat near me and ordered his breakfast. "He didn't mean it, you know," Mr. Weasley said, not looking up from his paper with my father screaming at the front. "Harry. He just didn't know."

"Like that helps," I muttered.

"The ministry cars will be here in a few minutes," Mr. Weasley said.

"Good for them," I replied, not looking up. "I'll get a cab."

"Valerie, that isn't necessary," Mr. Weasley protested.

"Yes. It is," I insisted. "They'd probably crash the car just to be done with me." He opened his mouth to protest again, but I snapped firmly, "I'll be taking a cab." Getting up, I paid for my food and grabbed my stuff. "I'll see you on the train," I said, stepping towards Fred and George.

"You're not going with us?" George replied.

"No," I said. "I've had enough of aurors to last me a lifetime."
.............................................
After claiming a compartment, I sat down and began to read my book again. "This seat taken?" Angelina asked, leaning into the compartment.

"Surprised you're not avoiding me," I replied, glancing up at her and setting aside my book.

"Please," she scoffed, putting her trunk in the overhead compartment. "If you think your dad's bad, you should meet mine."

"My dad didn't do it," I said softly. "I know everyone believes he did, but he didn't, Ange. Please, you have to believe me." With a sigh, she sat next to me.

"I know it had to have been hard for you," she sighed. "But...if you say your dad didn't do it then...I guess I believe you."

"Really?" I gasped, sitting up. "Oh merlin, thank you!" Instantly, I wrapped my arms around her and she hugged me back. Pulling away, I added, "And thank you for not leaving me. I expect several will."

"If they leave you, they're not good enough for you," Angelina said simply. "But I have to ask, why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't know how you'd react," I explained. "I just...I was scared people would leave me, especially if they found out I believe in him."

"I guess that makes sense," she replied. "Please tell me Fred and George aren't acting up?"

"No, they're not," I agreed. "What about Alicia and Katie?"

"Well," Angelina began before taking a deep breath. "They still care about you, but...Katie's uncle was one of the victims killed by your dad."

"He didn't kill them," I retorted.

"I know, but she can't know that," Angelina countered. "She won't just turn and believe you like me, and Katie is too close with Alicia so she won't listen either."

"What about Lee?"

"Well if Fred and George are chill, so will Lee," she replied. After a pause, she said, "Merlin, I missed you." Chuckling, I hugged her back tightly. "Are you okay after...everything?"

"I'm coping," I replied vaguely.

"Are you eating?" Angelina asked. "You're so thin."

"I'm trying," I replied. "But after two months in Azkaban, you get used to small amounts of food. It's hard for me to get back to what I usually eat."

"Are you sleeping?"

"No, not really," I admitted. "I've just been staying up late reading." After a pause, I said, "You know, you're the first person who's gone beyond just 'Are you okay?' No one else noticed my eating and sleeping issues."

"Yeah well, I've lived with you for the last four years," she chuckled, nudging my shoulder. "I can tell when you haven't been sleeping."

"Ladies," Fred greeted, stepping into the compartment with George and Lee behind him.

"Weasley," I replied with a smirk. My smile faltering, I added, "Jordan." After a small pause, he smiled and tapped his fist against mine, causing my smile to return. We chatted and joked during the train ride until it suddenly rolled to a stop.

"What's going on?" Angelina asked, leaning over me to look out the window.

"I don't know," George replied, also looking out the window. Next moment, the lights flickered out. My heart rate spiked and I quickly grabbed hold of Angelina's hand. Then the door rolled open and a sickly cold washed over my body as a dementor came into sight.

"No, please," I pleaded as the dementor came further into the compartment and moved its skeletal hand out towards me. "Please!" I whimpered as the hand went around my throat and I was lifted off my feet. The edges of my vision began to black out before the dementor retreated, unsticking its scabby hands from my throat. I was dropped to the ground as I gasped for breath, tears running down my cheeks. My eyes snapped shut as I breathed, trying to calm my pounding heart.

"Out of the way!" a loud voice shouted as the rumbling of the train caught up. "Valerie, are you all right?"

"Remus," I croaked, not opening my eyes. Gently he grabbed my hand and removed it from my throat as I finally opened my eyes.

"Here," he offered, handing over some chocolate.

"Thanks," I replied, shakily getting back to my feet with Angelina's help. I was shaking the rest of the journey to Hogwarts and had to be yelled at six times before Angelina could get my attention to say we were leaving. Fred and Ange stayed back with me as we walked along.

"Here," Fred called over the harsh rain and wind, raising his rain coat to partially block the rain. Soon we had gotten into the carriages and were riding along, but I felt sick as if I was about to vomit. Finally we got out of the carriages and I spotted the last person I wanted to see.

"You fainted, Potter?" Draco mocked. "Is Longbottom telling the truth? You actually fainted?"

"Sod off, Malfoy," I retorted, stepping out of the carriage before Ron or Hermione could say anything. Harry looked at me in surprise at my defending him, but I barely registered this as I was still staring down Draco.

Turning to look at me, he replied, "Only having a bit of fun, dear cousin." I rolled my eyes.

"Well go have your fun somewhere else," I snapped irritably.

"What're you going to do?" he chuckled maliciously. "Call dear old dad to save the day? Have him murder me? You think they'll let you and Black share a cell?"

"Val, don't," Fred warned, holding me back loosely as my jaw clenched and I made to step forward.

"I swear, Malfoy-" I began only for Remus to step out of his carriage and interrupt.

"Is there a problem?" Malfoy gave him an innocent look as he took in Remus' ragged appearance.

"Oh, no - er - Professor," Malfoy replied condescendingly.

"Bastard," I muttered, earning me a thinly veiled glare from Malfoy.

Once he was gone, Remus said, "I told you that sort of interaction would happen before you even went to Hogwarts. You need to control yourself."

"Seriously?" I scoffed. "What part of my response was unwarranted? I won't be a pushover, Remus."

"I'm not asking you to be," he countered. "I'm asking you to lay low, don't start trouble."

"He was picking on Harry," I retorted.

"I thought you hated Harry," Remus replied calmly.

Rolling my eyes, I retorted, "He's an idiot, but I don't hate him. It doesn't matter how I feel about someone, I will defend them from people like Malfoy!" He made to say something else, but I snapped, "Don't."