33. The Sensitive Nature of Money

"You've been ages," George said once Harry, Ron, and Hermione returned with water.

"Met a few people," Ron said. "You not got that fire started yet?"

"Dad's having fun with the matches," Fred explained as I sat down next to him.

"Come here, Mr. Weasley," Hermione offered kindly. Eventually we got the fire lit, but it took an hour until it was hot enough to cook anything. Soon eggs and sausages were sizzling and Bill, Charlie, and Percy came out of the woods.

"Just apparated, Dad," Percy said proudly. "Ah, excellent. Lunch!"

We were working through our plates when Mr. Weasley jumped up, saying, "Aha! The man of the moment! Ludo!"

"Ahoy there," Ludo Bagman replied brightly. "Arthur, old man, what a day, eh? What a day! Could we have asked for more perfect weather? A cloudless night coming and hardly a hiccup in the arrangements. Not much for me to do!"

Percy rushed forward to shake Mr. Bagman's hand as Mr. Weasley replied, "Ah, yes. This is my son Percy. He's just started at the Ministry. And this is Fred, no, George, sorry, that's Fred. Fred and George's friend Valerie, Bill, Charlie, Ron, my daughter Ginny, and Ron's friends Hermione Granger and Harry Potter." Bagman did a slight double take at Harry's name, glancing up at Harry's scar. "Everyone, this is Ludo Bagman, you know who he is, it's thanks to him we've got such good tickets."

"Fancy a flutter on the match, Arthur?" Bagman tempted. "I've already got Roddy Pinter betting me Bulgaria will score first. I offered him nice odds, considering Ireland's front three are the strongest I've seen in years. And little Agatha Timms has put up half shares in her eel farm on a weeklong match."

"Oh...go on then," Mr. Weasley replied. "Let's see, a gallon on Ireland to win?"

"A gallon?" Mr. Bagman replied, deflated. "Very well, very well...any other takers?"

"They're a bit young to be gambling," Mr. Weasley protested.
"Molly wouldn't like-"

"We'll bet thirty-seven gallons, fifteen sickles, three nuggets," Fred interrupted, getting to his feet with George as they took out all their money. "That Ireland wins, but Viktor Krum gets the snitch. Oh and we'll throw in a fake wand."

"Fred," I protested.

"Boys," Mr. Weasley said quietly to them. "I don't want you betting...that's all your savings. Your mother-"

"Don't be a spoilsport, Arthur," Bagman interrupted heartily. "They're old enough to know what they want! You reckon Ireland will win but Krum'll get the snitch? Not a chance. I'll give you excellent odds on that one. We'll add five gallons for the funny wand, shall we?"

Grabbing his hand, I pulled Fred away, whispering, "Fred, this isn't a good idea. That's all the money you have!"

"We need money for our joke shop," he retorted.

"I know that," I insisted. "Let me help you!"

"You don't get it!" he snapped. "Not all of us have a vault teeming with gallons." I swallowed, looking away from him.

"I just don't understand," I countered, trying to hide how his words hurt me. "Why won't you let me help you?"

"You wouldn't understand," he scoffed, turning away.

"Fred!" I cried, but he didn't turn back. He sat down back by the fire, turning my attention to the new person sitting by the fire. Crouch. Turning on my heel, I headed into the woods by our campsite. With a sigh, I sat down, leaning my head against the tree.
........................................
"Where's Valerie?" Harry asked, looking around as Mr. Weasley got up to go and talk to one of the Ministry workers ten yards away.

"I don't know," Fred said bitterly, kicking a rock. George, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Bill all looked at him with furrowed brows.

"Did I miss something?" Charlie asked.

"Fred, what happened between you and Valerie?" Bill asked, ignoring his brother.

"Nothing," he snapped back.

"Fred," George sighed.

"We had an argument, that's all," Fred admitted.

"About?" Harry asked.

"Doesn't matter," Fred evaded. Everyone pestered him until he finally snapped, "Fine, fine! It was about money. She didn't want George and I gambling and she offered to give us some money, but I told her we didn't want it." Everyone quieted. Everyone present knew that money was a sensitive subject for the Weasleys.

"She meant well, Fred," Charlie said. He remained silent.

"Did anyone see where she went?" Hermione asked, standing.

"I think I saw her head into the woods about a hour ago," Charlie admitted. Lowering his voice, he asked, "Bill, what am I missing here?"

"Dear Freddie got himself a girlfriend," Bill whispered back.

"Really," Charlie replied, glancing over at Fred. "Who'd have thought." While they'd been talking, Hermione had gone into the woods looking for Valerie.