13. Accusations

Two days later, I was allowed to leave the hospital wing with strict orders to sit out of Quidditch until the following week. December approached, and with it a mountain of work. I was walking along the hall to go to the library and work when someone called my name behind me. "Valerie," Remus called. I turned, waiting for him to catch up to me.

"What's up, Remus?" I asked.

"I wanted to ask, are you staying here for Christmas this year?" he asked.

"Aren't you?" I asked, furrowing my brows.

"Whatever you want to do," he replied.

"Uh, yeah, I'll stay," I replied. "If you're okay with that."

With a smile, he replied, "Of course. It's probably for the best anyway."

"Well, I need to get some work done," I said. "I'll see you later." Most of the third years and older were at Hogsmeade, but I had decided to stay behind so I could finish the rest of my work for the term. After I had finished all my work, I returned to the common room and was just heading up the stairs when the portrait hole banged open. Turning around, I spotted Harry closely followed by Hermione and Ron who seemed to be trying to calm him down.

"Harry, what's wrong?" I asked, furrowing my brows in concern.

"Like you care," he snapped venomously.

"Harry," Hermione protested weakly as the portrait hole opened again and Fred and George appeared.

"He killed them, Hermione!" Harry shouted. "Her father is the reason mine is dead!"

"What?" I breathed, paling. "N-No, he...he didn't kill anyone. He's innocent."

"I'm not innocent," he said.

A lump formed in my throat as I remembered my father's words. Rounding on me, Harry shouted, "He was their friend and he betrayed them! He was their secret keeper! He was the only one who could have told Voldemort where they were! He handed them over to Voldemort!"

"N-No," I stuttered, my eyes filling with tears.

"HE KILLED THEM!" Harry accused angrily. Everything inside of me was being torn apart. I couldn't say anything.

Harry opened his mouth to shout again, but Fred stepped forward, shouting in a deep, firm voice, "That's enough!" He moved forward, trying to wrap his arms around me, but I pushed away from him and ran up into my dorm, a sob leaving my lips. Once inside, I collapsed against my bed and slid to the floor.

"I'm not innocent," he said. Everything in me froze. "I didn't kill those thirteen people."

"Who did?" I asked shakily. "Who killed them?"

"Someone I thought I could trust," he replied vaguely.

"He killed them, Hermione!"

"N-No, he...he didn't kill anyone. He's innocent."

After a pause, he asked, "You believed in me? All these years?"

"I had to," I admitted. "Remus always said you were guilty, but I couldn't accept that."

"He was their friend and he betrayed them! He was their secret keeper! He was the only one who could have told Voldemort where they were! He handed them over to Voldemort!"

"It can't be true," I sobbed desperately. "It can't-" Shaking, I got to my feet and grabbed my broom. I opened the window and flew out into the Forbidden Forest. "Where are you?!" I screamed, tears running down my cheeks. "Are you out here?!"

"Raven?" a croaked voice said, stepping into my sight.

Round on him, I sobbed, "Tell me it isn't true!"

"What isn't true?" he asked worriedly.

"Tell me you aren't the reason they're dead!" I sobbed angrily. "Tell me you didn't kill James and Lily!"

"Val, I can explain," he said.

"Then explain it!"

"They asked me to be their secret keeper," he explained. "But at the last minute I convinced them to chose someone else, but he was a Death Eater. I didn't sell them to Voldemort, but it's my fault they're dead."

"He hates me now," I cried. "Harry hates me. He found out, but he thinks you sold them out and he hates me. God what am I going to do. What am I going to do?" After a moment of trying to calm down my breathing, my eyes widened and I exclaimed, "I shouldn't be here. Why did I come here? I can't be around you. I can't-" I broke off, spotting the look of hurt on my father's face.

"Do you hate me, Val?" he asked, looking hurt.

"No, I-" I stuttered. Without another word, I hugged him. He instinctively stiffened, but soon I felt him hug me back. "We're going to make this work, Dad," I said, still hugging him. "I can't live without knowing you anymore."

"Me neither," he replied, hugging me tighter. "I love you, Raven."

"I love you too, Dad," I replied. Furrowing my brows, I pulled away, asking, "Dad, is my mom alive?"

Swallowing painfully, he admitted, "No."

"W-Who was she?"

"When I was eighteen, I went on a short trip to Germany," he explained. "I went to try and recruit a wizard to help us fight Voldemort. I spoke to him for five minutes before he turned me out, but this man had a daughter. She heard everything I said and wanted to help. We went back to England and she joined the Order. We grew close over the months following that and we eventually got together." Growing slightly awkward, he resumed, "We...uh, got close and soon she was pregnant."

"With me?" I asked. He nodded and a warm smile crossed his face.

"I freaked out at first. I was scared because I never had good parents and I was afraid I couldn't be one for you," he said. "But I had sense enough to stand by her. Then two days after my nineteenth birthday you were born, but your mom...her body couldn't handle it. The healers tried to save her, but, uh, it was too late. She died in childbirth. Her name was Petra Herrman."

"So she didn't mean to leave me?" I clarified.

"No," he agreed. "She wanted to be your mother. She was so excited, scared, but above all excited. She loved you the moment she found out you were coming into being."

"I always thought she abandoned me," I admitted quietly. After a pause, I said hesitantly, "I have to go back."

"Maybe you could come out to see me again?" he asked hopefully.

"I'll see what I can do," I replied with a small smile. "And I'll bring you some food."

"Thank you," he replied. "I'll see you soon, Raven."

"Bye Dad," I said, grabbing my broom. Mounting it, I took off and slipped back into my dorm.