78. Lions and Eagles

"Alright, team!" I called, stepping out of the captain's office. "We've had the most rotten luck. People getting kicked off the team, injuries, training up new people, but I won't let that stop us from winning this match. You all know what we need to do to win. So, let's do it."

Everyone became laser-focused as we came on the pitch. "Remember your formations," I ordered. "And listen for my signals. Ginny, you know what to do." I faced Rodger Davis indifferently and shook his hand. He was a bit arrogant, but not a bad guy. We shook hands and soon had mounted our brooms.

As we kicked off into the air, I shouted, "One!" Davis had gotten the Quaffle first so I called a defensive position. As the game went on, I couldn't help but get my spirits up. Ron began to actually start blocking and we were all working better together than we had since the new additions came to the team.

In the final moments of the match, I snatched the Quaffle, streaking towards the goalposts. I did a trick shot before the entire stadium exploded in cheers. I looked around for the source of the noise before seeing that Ginny had caught the snitch. I let out a cheer, streaking towards her. I gave her a hug and landed, looking around. My smile fell when I realized what was missing.

As everyone celebrated around us, I slipped into the locker room and into my office. "Val?" a voice called.

"Hey, Lee," I said. He sat down in one of the chairs and let out a sigh.

"It's weird without them," Lee said finally.

"I've never played a game without them," I said. "You seemed less lively in the commentary."

"I just wish they were still here," Lee replied. "Mind you, I get why they left, but..."

"You miss them," I filled in. "Me too."

"But at least I still have Alicia," he said. "And you and Katie and Angelina, of course." I smirked, grabbing my water bottle.

"Okay," I said teasingly.

"Shut up," he said warningly. I laughed.

"I didn't say anything," I laughed. "That's sweet though."

"Don't say anything to her," Lee begged.

"Wouldn't dream of it," I replied. "I should probably head in. You coming?"

"Sure," he replied. Once I'd gathered my stuff, we headed inside to find the common room exploding with a party. I smiled at those around me, taking hugs and cheers and applause every few seconds from the students exploding with happiness. After a long night of celebration, I went upstairs with the others and crawled in bed with a yawn.

......................................................................................

The next morning, I began to throw myself into my studies. With the N.E.W.T.s exams coming the week before everyone else had their exams. Classes were being used to review the material as the exams were only a week away. To distract myself from the lack of Fred and George, I began putting all my efforts into studying for my exams and forcing the others to as well.

We spent long hours together in the library, common room, or outside on the grounds quizzing each other and studying. At long last, the exams were upon us. For an entire week, we were forced to more mind-numbing studying, examinations, and performance exams.

When it was at last over, the sense of foreboding that had overwhelmed me the entire week and week before wouldn't go away. As I thought over this, I flew to London to visit Dad. "Hey, Dad,"

"Hey," he replied, moving around the kitchen to take out some scones he had just made.

"Dad, did you cook?" I chuckled, carefully breaking off part of one of the warm scones.

"No, I baked, there's a difference," he replied, causing me to chuckle. "How are they?"

"Good," I replied, getting some more. "What'd you use for the glaze?"

"Butter and vanilla extract," he replied.

"Huh," I said. "Unusual, but I like it." Reaching into my bag, I asked, "You want to play a game? Angelina lent me this American card game."

"Sure," Dad replied. We made some tea and a plate of scones and sat down with the game. "So, how do you play?"

"So, we each get seven cards," I explained, dealing them out. "You don't want me to see your cards. Then we take the remaining deck and lay out this first card, like this. So you can only play the same colour, symbol, or a wild card. So, it's your turn."

As the game went on, I laughed, "No, Dad, that's a nine, not a six."

"What do you mean?" he countered, confused. "They're the same!"

"No, Dad, look," I pointed, chuckling. "The line is near the circle part, not the other one." Hours later, my stomach hurt from laughing. "Oh, Merlin, look at the time," I said, glancing down at my watch. "I've got to get going, but I'll see you next week, Dad."

"Love you, Raven," he replied, giving me a hug.

"Love you too, Dad."