19. Lions and Snakes

Sounds became muffled as we walked on the pitch. I was still gripping Fred's hand tightly as Wood and Flint faced one another. "And here are the Gryffindors!" Lee's muffled voice called. "Potter, Bell, Johnson, Black, Weasley, Weasley, and Wood." It became more muffled and I couldn't make out what Lee was saying.

As if in slow motion, I saw Madame Hooch order, "Mount your brooms! Three...two...one..." The sound came back into full focus as I soared into the air.

"One!" I shouted. Instantly Angelina and Katie moved with me and we rushed for the Quaffle. I snatched it, beginning to head to score. I had almost gotten there when Warbington, another chaser, rammed into me, catching me by surprise and causing me to drop the ball. A bludger shot towards him, causing him to drop it.

"Angelina!" Katie shouted. Ange caught it and we began a complicated dance of passes and dives and whirls. A bludger came flying towards her, but I moved forward, pushing her towards the goal and blocking the ball. It knocked my shoulder, causing me to wince, but I kept on. Angelina scored, causing the crowd to cheer excitedly. I smiled as she did a quick victory lap around the field.

"OUCH!" she cried, almost being flung off her broom as Flint rammed right into her.

"Sorry! Sorry, didn't see her!" Flint defended, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Fred!" I shouted in protest just before he flung his bat at Flint, knocking the boy's head forward and into his broom.

"That will do!" Madame Hooch shouted angrily, soaring up to them. "Penalty shot to Gryffindor for an unprovoked attack on their chaser! Penalty shot to Slytherin for deliberate damage to their chaser!"

"Come off it, miss," Fred protested, but no one listened to him as I went forward to take the shot.

"Come on, Val!" Lee shouted. I streaked forward, turning and twisting in perfect control, trying to throw off the keeper before I suddenly darted up and then downwards and took the shot. "YES! SHE'S BEATEN THE KEEPER! TWENTY-ZERO GRYFFINDOR!" We all watched as Flint went forward to take the Slytherin penalty. "Course, Wood's a superb keeper," Lee said as Flint took the shot. "Superb! Very difficult to pass - very difficult indeed - YES I DON'T BELIEVE IT! HE'S SAVED IT!"

We all got back to the game. The Quaffle was passed so quickly between us that Lee barely had time to say our names. Katie was in possession when one of the Slytherins suddenly swerved in front of Katie and grabbed her head instead of the ball. Katie thought quickly and cartwheeled through the air, somehow keeping a hold on her broom. Unfortunately, however, she dropped the Quaffle.

We were granted another penalty and Katie easily made the shot. We kept going. I had grabbed hold of the Quaffle before Flint stole it from me and streaked towards the other side. We all watched hopelessly as Flint took the shot and Wood just barely missed it. The game turned dirty and as I streaked down the field, one of the Slytherin beaters rushing after me. My vision suddenly was filled with white spots as his bat connected with my head.

I let out a yelp, flying forward and clutching my broom with all my strength. "I thought she was the buldger!" the beater defended as I threw him a glare. Fred was flying towards me before he elbowed the beater in the face. Both teams were awarded penalties. Once those were completed, the points stood at forty-ten to Gryffindor. Katie instantly got possession of the Quaffle and Angelina and I began to circle her from a distance as Fred and George went closer, protecting her from whatever was about to happen.

"Val, you've got the speed, go!" Katie called, passing the Quaffle. I took it and instantly streaked towards the goal post, but I was met by a wall of green. Instantly, I dove. Getting to the other side, I tossed the ball back to Katie and she scored. Fifty-ten to Gryffindor. Just ten more points and the snitch and we'd have them, two-hundred points up from previous games or not. The Slytherin beaters hit the buldgers at Oliver, hitting him repeatedly.

"YOU DO NOT ATTACK THE KEEPER UNLESS THE QUAFFLE IS WITHIN SCORING AREA!" Madame Hooch screamed. "Gryffindor penalty." Angelina went to take the penalty. She scored! Sixty-ten to Gryffindor. I zoomed forward toward Warrington who was in possession just as Fred shot a buldger at him. He dropped it and I grabbed hold of it, beginning to go towards the goal.

Next moment, a great cheer sounded. Seventy-ten to Gryffindor. My heart stopped as I spotted Harry soaring up quickly, but Malfoy lunged forward, grabbing onto the tail of his broom. The snitch disappeared. "Penalty!" Madame Hooch screeched. "Penalty to Gryffindor! I have never seen such tactics!"

"You got this one," Angelina fumed, looking to me. I nodded and moved forward, but I was so beyond pissed off at Malfoy I missed the shot.

Seventy-twenty.

Angelina shot forward, all Slytherins streaking towards her to block her path. Grunting in annoyance, Harry dove and flew right into the center of green. They all scattered, leaving Angelina's way clear. She scored!

Eighty-twenty.

Next moment, the entire stands exploded in cheers. I looked around and spotted Harry with the snitch in his hand.

"Oh my god," I whispered, too shocked to process what just happened. Louder, I said, "Oh my god." Reaching a shout, I cheered, "We won!" I streaked towards the rest of the team, almost in tears because I was so happy. I hugged Harry so tightly he almost fell off his broom before I hugged the others at random. Landing, I spotted Fred. I ran toward him, wrapping my arms around him tightly. "WE WON!"

"We won!" he cried, cupping my cheeks and almost jumping for joy. After a moment's hesitation, he leaned forward, pressing his lips to mine. I pulled away, smiling widely and spotted Angelina grinning happily and George looking a mixture of disgusted and teasing. Biting my lip, I pulled away from Fred and ran to Oliver.

"Ollie!" I screamed, rushing to him. Instantly, I hugged him. "I'm so proud of you!"

"Thank you, Val," he replied before pulling away. We all moved towards the stands and got the cup from Dumbledore. Wood handed it over to Harry and we all sent up a loud, happy cheer.