62. Back Again

The trip to Hogwarts was the most nerve wrecking and noisy business I'd been apart of in a long while. Dad had decided it was a good idea to come along with us as a dog and I spent the entire time anxiously watching to see if he'd be noticed.

At long last, however, we got on the train and Dad was heading safely back home. Sighing in relief, I began to drag my things to find a compartment. "Val!" Angelina called, rushing towards me. I smiled, giving her a hug quickly. I hadn't seen her since before the third task. "How are you?"

"I'm all right," she replied. Her expression darkening ever so slightly, she asked, "How're you?"

My voice caught in my throat as I managed, "I-I'm..." I glanced away, swallowing to try and clear my throat. "I'm fine," I said finally but it was clear as day that I wasn't being truthful. She gave me a small, sympathetic smile that made my skin crawl. Soon we had settled in a compartment with Fred and George. Our group expanded as Lee, Katie, and Alicia joined us. Everyone was talking happily, but I had grabbed one of my books and had been staring at one word for half an hour.

At long last, everything had fallen into an awkward tension and I could feel several eyes trained on me. At long last, I slammed my book shut and sighed. "What?" I asked.

"Well, um, what happened?" Lee asked. "Like, are you okay? Is what everyone's saying true?"

"Depends on what they're saying," I replied.

"People are saying you and Potter are crazy and think You-Know-Who is back," Katie replied. I blinked and in the brief darkness, I saw him towering above me. I shook it off, trying to ignore the pounding of my heart.

"So what? You believe them?" George asked sharply.

"Do you believe Harry and Val?" Angelina asked. She was the first one that didn't seem to already have a pre-conceived opinion.

"We do," Fred replied.

"Well of course you do," Lee said. "She's your girlfriend." Fred and I shared awkward looks.

Brows furrowed, Alicia asked, "Tell me you two didn't break up."

"No, not technically," I replied.

"We're just on a break so Valerie can sort out some stuff," Fred explained.

"But that's beside the point," George said. "You can't all seriously believe that the Ministry is right."

"We have no reason to believe the two of them," Lee countered.

"Do you have any reason not to?" I countered, brows raised. After thinking a moment, he shook his head.

"Can you just tell us what exactly happened?" Alicia asked.

"I..." I closed my eyes, burying my head in my hands. "I will tonight just...not right now, okay?"

................................................................

"Well," Dumbledore began. "Now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices. First years ought to know that the forest in the grounds is out of bounds to students - and a few of our older students ought to know by now too. Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four hundred and sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor are a number of other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to Mr. Filch's office door.

"We have had two changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubby-Palnk, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our now Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Tryouts for the House Quidditch teams will take place on the-"

"Hem hem," Umbridge coughed. Fred, George, Lee, Angelina, Alicia, Katie, and I all shared a glance. None of us liked the vibe this woman was giving off. "Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome," she said. Her voice was girlish and sent shivers down my spine. "Hem, hem. Well it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say! And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!"

"What are we, five?" Katie muttered, crossing her arms over her chest.

I stared at Umbridge pointedly as she resumed, "I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!" Taking on a more professional tone, she said, "The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. The rare gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction.

"The ancient skills unique to the Wizarding community must be passed down through the generations lest we lose them forever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished, and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching. Every headmaster and headmistress of Hogwarts has brought something new to the weighty task of governing this historic school, and that is as it should be, for without progress there will be stagnation and decay.

"There again, progress for progress's sake must be discouraged, for our tried and tested traditions often require no tinkering. A balance, then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between tradition and innovation..." Most everyone stopped paying attention. Only the teachers, Hermione, and I were still listening. "Because some changes will be for the better, while others will come, in the fullness of time, to be recognized as errors of judgment. Meanwhile, some old habits will be retained, and rightly so, whereas others, outmoded and outworn, must be abandoned.

"Let us move into a new era of openness, effectiveness, and accountability, intent on preserving what ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited." Dumbledore began to speak again, but I glanced over at Fred with my brows furrowed.

"I told you," I remarked quietly to him. "The Ministry is interfering at Hogwarts."