57. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

Still looking at Harry, Dad said, "You know I'm surprised at you. I thought the first thing you'd do when you got here would be to start asking questions about Voldemort." I flinched, averting my gaze to the floor. Instantly, the calm and sleepy atmosphere of the room shifted.

"I did!" Harry shouted. "I asked Ron and Hermione, but they said we're not allowed in the Order, so-"

"And they're quite right," Mrs. Weasley said. "You're too young."

"Since when did someone have to be in the Order of the Phoenix to ask questions?" Dad asked easily. "Harry's been trapped in that muggle house for a month. He's got a right to know what happening."

"Hang on," George interrupted with indignation.

"How come Harry gets his questions answered?" Fred protested.

"We've been trying to get stuff out of you for a month and you haven't told us a stinking thing!" George added.

"You're too young, you're not in the Order," Fred impersonated. "Harry's not even of age! And Valerie's in it. Why can't we?"

"It's not my fault you haven't been told what the Order's been doing," Dad said, looking at the twins. That's your parent's decision. Valerie and Harry on the other hand-"

"It's not down to you to decide what's good for Harry," Mrs. Weasley countered angrily. "You haven't forgotten what Dumbledore said, have you?"

"Which bit?" Dad asked lightly, although there was a slightly edge to his tone.

"The bit about not telling Harry more than he needs to know," Mrs. Weasley explained.

"I don't intend to tell him more than he needs to know, Molly," Dad replied snappishly. "But as he was one of the ones to see Voldemort-" everyone apart from Harry and Lupin flinched "-he has more right than most to-"

"He's not a member of the Order of the Phoenix!" Molly screamed. "He's only fifteen and..."

"and he's dealt with as much as most of the Order," Dad broke in. "And more than some."

"No ones denying what he's done!" Molly said heatedly. "But he's still-"

"He's not a child!" Dad yelled.

"He's not an adult either!" Molly shouted back. "He's not James, Sirius!"

"I'm perfectly clear on who he is, thanks," Dad snapped coldly.

"I'm not sure you are!" Molly retorted. "Sometimes the way you talk about him, it's as though you think you've got your best friend back!"

"What's wrong with that?" Harry asked naively. I groaned, laying my head on the table.

"What's wrong, Harry, is that you're not your father, however much you might look like him!" Molly yelled. "You are still at school and adults responsible for you should not forget it!"

"Meaning I'm an irresponsible godfather?" Dad roared back.

"Meaning, you've been known to act rashly, Sirius," Mrs. Weasley corrected. "Which is why Dumbledore keeps reminding you to stay at home and-"

"We'll leave my instructions from Dumbledore out of this, thanks," Dad snapped. My head was starting to hurt from all the shouting.

"Arthur, Arthur, back me up here!" Molly demanded.

After a long time, Mr. Weasley replied, "Dumbledore knows the position has changed, Molly. He accepts that Harry will have to be filled in to a certain extent now that he's staying at headquarters-"

"Yes but there's a difference between that and inviting him to ask whatever he likes!" With a sigh, I tuned out until Molly's voice rose again. "He's as good as! Who else has he got?"

"He's got me!" Dad shouted back.

"Yes," Mrs. Weasley said. "The thing is it's been rather difficult for you to look after him while locked up in Azkaban, hasn't it? You couldn't even raise your daughter."

Instantly, Dad stood up, beginning to move toward Molly, but I quickly got to my feet and stood in front of him, saying lowly, "Dad, stop. Whether she would acknowledge it or not, she's just trying to get a rise out of you so sit down." When he still didn't move, I, with a slight edge of pleading in my tone, said, "Dad." With one last glare at Molly, he sat down.

Turning to face the rest of the table, I said, "If I may be so bold, I think Harry should be allowed a say in this."

"Frankly I must agree," Remus said. "He's old enough to decide for himself."

"I want to know what's been going on," Harry said instantly.

"Very well," Molly said irritably. "Ginny, Ron, Hermione, Fred, George, I want you out of this kitchen now." Instantly there was so much noise in the kitchen that my headache returned with a throbbing vengeance.

Passing by Dad, I said, "I'll be upstairs. Goodnight."

"Goodnight Raven," he replied. Before I could get out the door, Remus stopped me.

"Valerie, Sirius and I need to talk to you before you go to bed," he said. Glancing curiously at Dad, I saw he had a look of dread and he now wouldn't meet my eyes.

"O-Okay, just let me know when you're done with this lot," I replied, giving both of them concerned and curious looks. Once I was upstairs, I sat on my bed to wait. Unlike the others, I was able to have my own room but even so I could still hear the protests of Ginny as she was brought up to bed.

After an hour or so, there was a knock on my door. "Come in," I said, setting aside my book.

Harry came in and said, "Sirius and Remus are looking for you." I nodded.

"Thank you," I replied, getting to my feet.

I went to leave, but Harry asked, "Valerie, is everything okay? They both looked really grim."

"I don't know," I admitted. Moving past him, I headed downstairs to see Dad and Remus standing with a woman. Dad looked very tense and Remus uncomfortable. "So, what's up?" I asked.

The woman turned and I caught sight of her face. Instantly, my blood froze over and my smile fell.