29. Resettling

"Val!" Remus called, taking my attention from my book. Setting it aside, I went downstairs and saw that Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were with him.

"What's up?" I asked uncertainly, not liking the sudden change in routine.

"Um, Valerie, there are a couple changes we need to make," Remus said. "I, uh, I can't afford to support both of us anymore."

"W-What?" I stuttered. "I have access to the Black family vault, I have money. I can-"

"Valerie," he interrupted. "I won't take your money. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley have offered to let you stay for the rest of the summer until we figure out something more perminant for next year."

Lowering my voice to try and keep the Weasleys from listening, I said, "I-I can't lose you too."

"You're not losing me," Remus countered. "We just won't see each other as much. I'm sorry."

"I understand," I sighed. Glancing over at the Weasleys, I said, "Thank you for offering to take me in for a couple weeks."

"Don't thank me. It was all my husband," Mrs. Weasley said, a hint of bitterness in her voice. Mr. Weasley threw her a look.

Crossing my arms, I asked, "W-When do I leave?"

"Today, if possible," Mr. Weasley replied.

"I'll help you pack," Remus offered. We went upstairs and I began folding and packing until there were just the picture frames left. Remus picked up the one of the two of us and smiled.

"You remember that day?" I asked, trying to smile. "You said that finally I'd stop setting the house on fire and making things move all the time. You wrote to me every day."

"And you wrote back every day," he replied, still smiling at the photo.

After a moment, I asked, "Remus, why won't you let me help. This doesn't have to change!"

"I'm sorry, Valerie," he sighed. "I know how much you hate change."

"I really do," I said. Letting out a sigh, I stacked my frames and carried them and several books that wouldn't fit into my trunk down the stairs while Remus carried the trunk.

"You ready?" Mr. Weasley asked.

"Yeah," I replied softly. "How're we getting there?"

"Side-along apparation," he replied. "My wife all ready went back." With a sigh, I set aside the things I was holding and wrapped my arms around Remus.

"I love you," I said.

"Love you too, Val," he replied. After a moment, I pulled away and turned to get my things. I noticed Mr. Weasley eyeing the photo of me and Fred on the top of the stack.

"Bye, Remus," I said, just before we apparated.
....................................................
"You'll be staying with Ginny in her room," Mr. Weasley explained as we walked towards the house. Just before we entered, he stopped. "A couple things to warn you about. Bill and Charlie just got here for the World Cup so there's more people than usual. Also-"

"Mrs. Weasley doesn't like me," I guessed. "Yeah, Fred told me." After a pause, I said, "Can't really blame her. The way the Prophet spins it, I'm brainwashed so it is what it is. I've dealt with worse." With a sigh, Mr. Weasley opened the door.

"Give it back!" Percy screamed the moment the door opened. "I need that report!"

"Calm down, Perce," a tall redhead with long hair said, yawning. "No one reads those anyways." Mr. Weasley cleared his throat, getting the attention of everyone in the room.

Coming down the stairs, Fred appeared, smiling as he greeted, "Val, hey."

"Hi Fred," I replied, giving him a quick hug. Turning to his twin, I wrapped my arms around him. "Sup Georgie."

"Have a good summer?" he asked as I glanced at the others in the room who were watching with mild curiosity.

"Uh, decent," I replied. Turning to the redhead with the long hair, I said, "Hi, I'm Valerie."

"Bill," he replied, giving an easy, natural smile. "I've heard a lot about you."

"Oh?" I replied, glancing at Fred and George. "All good things, I hope."

"I'm Charlie," another redhead said, shaking my hand. His hand was rough and calloused from healed burns.

"Ah, dragon boy 2.0," I chuckled. "Nice to meet you both."

"Ginny, would you minding showing Valerie to your room?" Mr. Weasley asked. She nodded and we headed upstairs.

"Here's my room," she said sheepishly. I knew Ginny because we were in the same house and I was best friends with her brothers, but she generally kept quiet, so I hadn't really spoken to her much before.

"It's beautiful," I said, looking around. It really was. The walls were painted a soft pink and a couple posters lined the walls. The first was of the band the Weird Sisters and the second was of one of the beaters for the Harpies Quidditch team. "Thank you for letting me stay with you. I know it's probably kind of weird."

"No, not at all," she replied with a smile. "Honestly it's kind of nice to have another girl in the house." A cot had been set up in the corner of the room. I set my trunk at the foot of the cot and set my other books and frames on top. "What're these?" Ginny asked, looking at the frames.

"Oh, just some pictures I take with me everywhere," I explained with a small smile. Grabbing the stack, I sat down on my cot and gestured for her to sit next to me. "This is me and Fred fifth year," I explained, handing her the frame. "And this is me with all my friends from school, I think you know them all. This is me and Remus, Professor Lupin. And, uh, these two are of my dad and godfather."

Looking between me and the photo, Ginny asked, "Is it hard to still love him, despite everything?"

"No," I admitted, being honest. "It was never hard for me to love him. Believing in him, sure, every once in a while, but...he's still my dad and I'm still his little Raven, not matter what happens."

Looking at the picture of Dad and James, she asked, "Who's your godfather?"

"James," I explained. "Harry's dad." Setting aside the photos, I asked, "What was it like growing up with all brothers?"

"It has its ups and downs," she chuckled. "Did you like being an only child?"

"Eh," I shrugged. "Didn't love it didn't hate it. It was just the way it was. Although, Harry is kind of like my brother when you think about it. My dad's his godfather too."

"Really?" Ginny asked, brows furrowed. I nodded. "Does Harry know?"

"Yeah, he knows," I replied.

"Girls, dinner!" Mrs. Weasley called.

"Guess we got to go," Ginny said. I chuckled and stood.

"I guess so," I replied with a smile.