83. Mid-Summer

Cautiously, I knocked on the door to the Burrow. "Who is it?" Mrs. Weasley called.

"It's me, Mrs. Weasley," I replied. "Valerie Black. You hated me when you first knew me because of my father." She opened the door and let me in.

"How are you, Valerie?" she asked.

"I'm good," I replied. "How're you?"

"Oh, worried, of course," she said anxiously, shuffling around the kitchen. Before we could talk more, there was a knock on the door. "Declare yourself!"

"It's me, Tonks," she said. I frowned, noting the sadness in her voice. Molly let her in.

"Hey, Tonks," I said, giving her a concerned smile. Her hair was mousey and brown and she seemed almost ill. I frowned and said, "What's wrong?"

"Sit down, dear," Molly said. "Would you like some tea?" She nodded and soon three cups of streaming tea were sitting before us as Tonks began to talk.

"I just...don't know what to do," she said. "I-I love someone who won't be with me. I-I think he loves me too, but..."

Frowning, I asked, "Why?"

Giving me a cautious look, she asked, "Can I trust you not to say anything to him?"

"Of course," I replied.

"It's Remus," she sighed.

"Oh," I said, my expression contorting in realization. "He won't be with you because he sees being a werewolf as a curse and he doesn't want to bring you into that." She nodded weakly. I sighed.

"I can't imagine how hard that is," Molly sympathized.

"I've been trying to convince him for years to think otherwise, but he never listens," I sighed. "I'm sorry, Tonks." We tried our best to comfort her as time went on, but we were interrupted by another knock on the door.

"Who's there?" Molly called, moving over to the door. "Declare yourself!"

"It is I, Dumbledore, bringing Harry," Dumbledore said. Molly opened the door and he appeared with Harry.

"Harry, dear! Gracious, Albus, you gave me a fright," Molly said. "You said not to expect you before morning!"

As they kept talking, I turned back to Tonks and lowered my voice as I said, "Listen, Tonks, Remus needs to realize that you really do care about him and that you're not scared either of him or what being with him will bring. But keep in mind that you've done all you can to prove that to him. If he won't accept it, that's on him, not you. At this point, it's on him, okay?"

She gave me an appreciative smile as Dumbledore said, "Ah, hello, Nymphadora. Valerie."

"Hello, Professor," she replied. "Wotcher, Harry."

"Hi, Tonks," Harry replied. "Val."

"Sup," I replied. "Dumbledore, can I have a word?"

"I have a few minutes," he replied, glancing at his watch. We stepped outside, Tonks following after, and he asked, "What is it?"

"I need to talk to you before school," I explained. "As in a lengthy conversation. Can you come over to Grimmauld Place soon when you have more time?"

Thinking carefully, he replied, "I have a two-hour window tomorrow at four. Does that work for you?"

"Yes," I replied. "Thank you. Also, you didn't mention my new job to Harry, did you? I wanted to surprise him."

"I assumed so," he replied with a smile. "He is completely unaware."

"Thank you, Professor," I replied.

"Valerie, now that you are a teacher, you may call me Albus," he said.

"That'll take some getting used to," I laughed. "But, thank you. I'll see you tomorrow." Stepping back inside, I saw Molly sitting at the table with Harry. "Thank you for the tea, Mrs. Weasley, but I should be going."

"Please, just call me Molly, dear," she replied. "And thank you for stopping by."

"Of course," I replied. "It's good to see you, Harry. I'll be back."

......................................................................................

"Is Mistress sure she doesn't want Kreacher's help?" Kreacher asked as I shuffled about, making scones.

"Well," I sighed. "Sure, I'm not much good at it." With Kreacher's help, I had a large tray of piping hot scones and a teapot of chamomile tea ready by the time the doorbell rang. I shuffled upstairs while Kreacher started serving up food and setting out the teacups. I had explicitly ordered him to never open the door for anyone.

"Who is it?" I called.

"The only Professor who has never given you a detention," Dumbledore replied. "And who are you?"

"The student who you let take care of Fawkes for a week in the second year," I replied, opening the door. "Come in."

"Sirius would have been happy," Dumbledore remarked. "The house is barely recognizable." I smiled, leading him down to the kitchen.

"Makes it easier to be here," I admitted. "Please, have some tea."

Once he had made himself a cup, Dumbledore said, "So, I know how much you hate small talk, so what is the matter you wanted to talk about?"

"It's about Harry," I admitted. "I get the feeling you didn't just hire me to teach kids how to fly and referee matches."

"You are quite right," Dumbledore replied. "I also hired you for three other reasons. The first is to help protect Harry. The second is to protect yourself, specifically that ring. We don't want that falling into the wrong hands. The third reason is because of your specific influence over a particular student that I'm worried about."

Narrowing my eyes, I asked, "Who?"

"Draco," Dumbledore replied.

"My cousin joined the Death Eaters didn't he?" I sighed. Dumbledore nodded. "I'll do what I can."

"Does Mistress wish for anything else?" Kreacher asked.

"No, thank you, Kreacher," I replied kindly.

Once Kreacher had retreated into his room, Dumbledore remarked, "I'm glad to see he's grown a liking to you. I was worried he could've been used against us again."

I sighed, "Yes. I've just been treating him as more of a part of this new family here than just a servant. Seems wrong to treat him any other way."

"It seems to be doing him good," Dumbledore replied.

"I hope so," I replied. "I'm just a little worried about leaving him alone here all year. Speaking of which, what are the rules about leaving campus for teachers?"

"You alternate with the other teachers for exactly when, but you have one day of the weekend off every week," he explained. "I assume you will be leaving to visit Mr. Weasley?"

"You know me too well," I chuckled.

"How long has it been now?" he asked.

"Two and a half years," I replied, smiling widely. "We got together after we won the Quiddich Cup in the fifth year."

"Seems so long ago," he replied. I chuckled. "You seem to be doing well, all things considered."

"Yeah," I said. "I still miss him, but...it still feels like he's here with his book. Whenever I miss him, I just read some of his stories."

"I bet there are stories of pranks even I didn't know about," Dumbledore admitted.

"I bet I know about pranks you never found out about," I countered.

Letting out a laugh, he replied, "Highly likely. Well, thank you for your hospitality. I should really be off."

"Good to have you, Dumbledore," I replied. "See you soon."