108. Andromeda Tonks

The following morning, I woke up in Fred's arms, lying on his chest. I groaned, my aching muscles screaming in protest. I got up and found that Hermione, who had been storing my things in her beaded bag, had left my bag at the foot of the bed. Holding back a wince, I bent down and pulled out a pair of sweatpants and a shirt. Replacing my other clothes, I got up and headed out. 

Standing at the top of the stairs, I stared down them, internally letting out a groan. "Need a hand?" Hermione asked, coming up behind me. I nodded. Once I was down the stairs, I went into the kitchen to see that Draco was already up. Hermione made a pot of tea and soon the three of us were sitting at the table enjoying the quiet of the morning and the distant crash of waves. 

It was peaceful and I forgot for a moment that there was a war going on at all until Ron and Harry came into the room. As if on instinct, they threw Draco a glare. I rolled my eyes. "Draco, Fred and I are going to take you to your Aunt-" 

"What?!" he shouted, jumping to his feet before I could finish. I had never seen him so scared. 

"Andromeda!" I shouted. He calmed down. "Your Aunt Andromeda." 

"Who?" he asked. 

"Your mother's older sister," I explained. "She was disowned years ago." 

"What for?" Draco asked. 

"Marrying a muggle-born," I replied. 

"Oh," he said, sitting back down. 

"But I think she would be willing to help you," I explained. 

Casting an anxious eye towards the others who were trying to act like they weren't listening in, he asked, "B-But you'll stay w-with me, right?" 

"Draco, protecting you is my highest priority right now," I assured. He nodded, finally seeming to completely calm down. 

"When are you planning on leaving?" Hermione asked. 

"As soon as possible," I replied. 

"Valerie, I wanted to ask you something," Harry said, turning around to face me. "Dumbledore's spirit. Did you ever let it pass on?" 

Frowning, I replied, "No. I never even saw it." 

"So then he could still be alive?" Ron asked excitedly. 

I shook my head. "He was hit square in the chest with the killing curse. I was there. I saw it." 

"Weasley, even if the curse didn't kill him, the fall did," Draco said. His voice was regretful but he managed to keep it even. 

"Would have killed me if I hadn't managed to slow my fall by changing into a raven," I added. "He didn't survive." 

"But I thought all the spirits were drawn to you," Hermione said. "Why wouldn't you have seen them?" 

"They aren't drawn to me, they have to find me," I replied. "I don't know why he wouldn't have, though. Actually, I don't know if I've seen any spirits since..." 

"Where is the ring?" Draco asked. Harry and Ron both cast him suspicious looks. 

"It's gone," I said. "I bounded the ring to myself. The powers it gave me are a part of my genetics now." 

Frowning, he asked, "But what about when you die?" 

"Unless I have children, they will go to my nearest blood relative," I explained. 

"Who is..?" Hermione asked. 

"I don't know," I admitted. "I suppose my mother, but honestly, I can't be sure." 

..................................................................................

A week later, Fred, Draco, and I stood in front of the Tonks household door. Glancing at Fred uncertainly, I knocked on the door. Instantly, the small sounds from inside stopped. "Andromeda," I said. "It's me, Valerie. I'm married to Fred Weasley. I've only met you twice and when I first met you I almost killed you because I thought you were Bellatrix." The door opened and I saw her through the crack. 

"Who else is with you?" she asked, unable to see Draco through the small opening. 

"Someone who is nervous to meet you," I said. She opened the door wider, a puzzled look on her face. 

"She looks so like her," Draco remarked quietly. 

"Andromeda, this is Draco," I explained. A soft gasp left her lips. She opened the door all the way. 

"Narcissa's son?" she whispered. He nodded, tears forming in his eyes at the mention of his mother. "Come in." Thre three of us entered as she asked, "What's going on?" 

Quietly so as not to upset him more, I explained, "He saved my life at Malfoy Manor and defied Bellatrix and You-Know-Who so now-" 

"They want him dead," she filled in with a sad nod. "Is Narcissa alright?" 

"We don't know," I breathed. "I would assume so." 

"And Bella?" 

"Forgive me, but I hope not," I muttered. She nodded in understanding. 

"So why did you bring him here?" she asked. 

"I have no where safe to take him," I admitted. "Grimmauld Place is compromised and I don't want him to be in a place where everyone will hate him and won't trust him." 

"I understand," she sighed. After thinking a moment, she said, "He can stay here. I will protect him." 

"Another thing," I added. "I think he would rather I was here with him and also-" 

"After what happened when she was on her own last time, I won't leave her side," Fred admitted. Andromeda's eyes trailed to the hateful 'Mudblood-Lover' carved into my arm and my still-pale skin and the fact that I appeared weakened. 

"Bella?" she guessed, almost fearfully. I nodded. "Well, I have plenty of room. The three of you can stay as long as you like." 

Smiling, I embraced her, saying, "Thank you. You have no idea how much this means to me." She nodded, giving me a kind smile before turning to Draco. 

Giving him a smile, she sat down next to him and said, "You're safe here, Draco. There's a bedroom down that hallway if you take the second right. You can stay there as long as you need. I also have some of...my husband's clothes you can borrow if you have nothing else." He nodded. 

"Thank you," he replied. 

"You can call me Andromeda, Aunt Dromeda. Really whatever you are more comfortable with," she said. He nodded again. 

"Draco, why don't you go get some rest?" I suggested. He nodded and went to the bedroom Andromeda had told him about. Once he was gone, I sat down with a sigh. "This is so hard on him." 

"I can't even imagine," Dromeda said with a sigh. "Tea?" 

"Sure," I replied.