53. Trauma

I was awoken by the sound of footsteps. Groggily, I opened my eyes and saw Snape striding over to Fudge. I was still in the hospital wing and everyone seemed very tense. Showing his left forearm, Snape said, "There. There, the dark mark. It is not as clear as it was an hour or so ago, when it burned black, but you can still see it. Every Death Eater had the sign burned into him by the Dark Lord." 

I sat up, looking around for Khadija, but to my dismay, my stone and wooden rings had been set aside. Only my purple one was still on my finger. Irritably, I slipped the ring back on my finger, and Khadija, Cedric, Benji, and Ebony appeared again. 

Once Fudge was gone, Dumbledore said, "There is work to be done. Molly, am I right in thinking I can count on you and Arthur?" 

"Of course you can," she replied. Shakily, I got to my feet, noting that most everyone was gone. I turned to face the spirits. 

"Cedric, I won't let you go through seeing all this," I said hoarsely. "The rest of you have paid your debts in full. Pass through." 

"Valerie-" Cedric began.

"NO, Cedric!" I screamed, startling everyone present. "Go." 

"Tell Harry none of this was his fault," he insisted. "Before I go. Tell him." 

"Harry," I said, turning to face him. "Cedric wants me to tell you that none of this was your fault." Harry turned away, clearly rejecting the idea. Everyone besides Harry and Dumbledore was watching me with confusion. "Cedric, pass through," I ordered, holding up my hand. Reluctantly, he raised his hand to mine. 

As he passed through, I gasped, feeling his spirit move through. "Thank you, Ebony, for watching over Krum for me." She passed through. "Hercule, Leo, thank you both for watching Fleur." They passed through. "Benji, thank you for watching over Harry and telling me when he was in trouble." He passed through. 

I was now incredibly pale and Dumbledore said, "Valerie, you can't do more. It will kill you." 

"I don't want to pass over yet," Khadija said. Staring at her carefully, I finally nodded. 

"You can stay Khadija," I said finally. 

"Now that Cedric is at peace, two of you need to recognize each other," Dumbledore said once I'd sat down in bed. 

Dad looked up at Dumbledore questioningly and he nodded. In an instant, Sirius appeared. 

Mrs. Weasley screamed, pointing at him and crying out, "Sirius Black!" Rounding on me, she screamed, "I knew it! You're involved with him!" 

"Mum, shut up! It's okay!" Fred said irritably. 

"YOU KNOW?!" Ron shouted in shock. 

"My girlfriend tells me things," he replied. 

"Him!" Snape snarled. "What is he doing here?!" 

"He is here on my invitation," Dumbledore said, "as are you, Severus. I trust you both. It is time for you to lay aside your old differences and trust each other. Now I have work for each of you. Sirius, you are to alert Remus Lupin, Arabella Figg, Mundungus Fletcher - the old crowd. Lie low at Lupin's for a while; I will contact you there." 

"Dad," I protested just as Harry said, "But-" 

"You'll both see me very soon," Dad said. "I promise you. But I must do what I can, you understand, don't you?" 

"Dad," I said. With a small sigh, he sat down beside me, wrapping his arms around me. He held me tightly in his arms as I kept a tight grip on him, hoping that if I held on tight enough he would never leave my side. 

"I have to go, Raven," he said softly. 

"I can't go all summer without seeing you again," I protested. 

"I'm sure something can be arranged," Dumbledore said. 

Kissing the top of my head, Dad pulled away and said, "I promise. I'll see you soon, okay?" Finally, I let go. When he and Snape had left, I curled up in a ball and turned away from everyone. 

I had downed the entire potion before, so I simply lay awake, hoping I fell asleep. After a time, I finally did. My body was so exhausted, I didn't even have the energy to dream. It was all gone. 

.......................................................................

The following day, I was allowed out and was instantly summoned to Dumbledore's office. Solemnly, I sat down in the chair in front of his desk and stared at the desk, refusing to meet his gaze. "Sirius has asked me to allow you to stay with him all summer. I have of course given my permission, but I think it best you join him sooner rather than later." 

I said nothing. 

"Your exams scores are in and you got all O's so you have nothing to worry about grade-wise." 

Still nothing. 

After a long pause, I snapped, "Is that why you called me up here? To talk about grades?" 

"No," Dumbledore admitted. "I wanted to talk to you about your ring. Tell me in full as if I knew nothing of what it does." 

"It lets me see the recent past of a location, see the restless spirits and help them pass on, and it allows me to make forcefields that shield anything and can be used as weapons," I said dully. 

"And who have you seen of the spirits?" 

"Khadija Harris, Benji, Ebony, Valentine, Hercule, Leo, Simon, Monique," my voice caught in my throat as I finished, "Cedric Diggory, James Potter, and Lily Potter." After a pause, I added, "As well as many others I don't know the name of." 

"And can you control these abilities?" 

"Somewhat," I replied. 

"Then might I suggest, Miss Black, that you learn to this summer," he suggested. "I have arranged for you to go and join Remus and your father this afternoon. Go and pack your things."