25. Turning Time

"But - OH!" Hermione exclaimed, her eyes wide.

"Now, pay attention," Dumbledore ordered lowly. "Sirius is locked in Professor Flitwick's office on the seventh floor. Thirteenth window from the right of the West Tower. If all goes well, you will be able to save more than one innocent life tonight. But remember this, all of you: You must not be seen. Miss Granger, you know the law - you know what is at stake...You - must - not - be - seen." He turned to leave, but turned back, adding, "I am going to lock you in. It is five minutes til midnight. Miss Granger, three turns should do it. Good luck."

"Good luck?" Harry repeated, completely clueless as Dumbledore locked us in. "Three turns? What's he asking about? What're we supposed to do?" Hermione fumbled with her robes and pulled out a necklace. I gasped, moving from Harry and taking the charm from her.

Glancing up, I asked, "Is that..." She nodded. "Oh, Merlin."

"Come here, Harry," Hermione ordered. "Quick!" She threw the chain over my neck and then Harry's. Everything around us whirled until it came into focus again, but it was brighter, still night but brighter. Pulling us into a closet, Hermione took off the chain and explained, "We've gone back in time. Three hours back."

"Okay, where were you two at five til nine?"

"Heading down to Hagrid's," Hermione replied. "Wait, I think that's us." Footsteps passed us outside. Once they had passed, Hermione asked, "Where were you?"

"In the woods with Fred and Sirius," I replied.

"I don't understand what Dumbledore wants us to do," Hermione fumed. "Why did he tell us to go back three hours? How's that going to help Sirius?"

"What about Buckbeak?" I asked. "Maybe that's it?"

"Okay, we need our goals for this," Hermione said nervously.

"Get Sirius out and break out Buckbeak," I said.

"And get you exonerated," Harry added.

"I know what to do," I exclaimed, my eyes wide. "Okay, you two need to save Buckbeak. I'll meet you in the forest near the Whomping Willow."

"Stay out of sight," Hermione ordered. I nodded and rushed off into the woods. I slowed as the sound of voices reached me.

"We'll stick to this plan," Sirius' voice said.

I heard my own voice ask, "You satisfied that I'm fine, Romeo? Go back to the castle, I'm fine. I'll see you in the common room later."

"Okay," Fred replied, "Be safe."

"Always," past-me replied. I quickly slipped behind a tree as Fred left, walking towards the castle. I waited a few minutes before running after him.

"Fred," I called, quiet enough Dad and I wouldn't hear. He turned, his eyes widening at the sight of me.

"Val, what happened? I just saw you," he said.

"Uh, right," I replied, trying to keep my broken arm out of sight. "Listen, I need you to do something for me. A couple things actually."

"Uh, okay, what?" he asked, still looking concerned.

"First, I need you to unlock the window in Flitwick's office," I explained. "Second, I need you to ask Angelina to find the spare wand in my trunk. Hide it in Flitwick's office, but it has to be hidden well. Don't come and find me to tell me where it is, I'll find it." Footsteps behind us, caused my head to snap back.

"Merlin," I whispered, grabbing Fred's arm and pulling him a good way through the woods.

"Val, what's going on?" Fred asked. "You're kind of scaring me."

"I-I can't tell you," I stuttered. "I will, I promise, but right now I can't. Just please, trust me."

"Okay," he agreed. "So open the window in Flitwick's office, hide your spare wand Angelina will get, and don't tell you where I hid it. Anything else?"

Biting down on my lip, I replied, "Stay in the castle tonight, no matter what, okay?"

"What's going to happen tonight?" Fred asked.

"D-Don't worry about it," I stuttered. "Please, just do what I asked, please."

"I will," he promised. "Be safe." I nodded. Fred quickly kissed my cheek before heading back to the castle. I wandered through the woods until I got to the edge, the Willow in sight. I saw my own form stand, glance towards Hagrid's, and then make for the edge of the wood. It took a split second for me to make my decision, I dashed out from the woods and just managed to get into the tree before past-me turned around. Scampering through the passage, I ran into the Shrieking Shack and hid in one of the rooms.

Crouching in a corner, I lay my head back, shutting my eyes to wait. Unintentionally, I drifted off. With a jolt, I woke up to hear that there were no noises coming from the room next to me where everyone else had been. I jumped up, running from the room and into the passageway. As I ran out, I spotted past-Harry, past-Hermione, past-Sirius, and past-me in front of the lake and a giant patronus galloping forward.

A small scream left my lips as someone grabbed my wrist. "Shh!" they hissed, covering my mouth with their hand.

"Hermione," I said, muffled as I relaxed.

She dragged me around to Harry as she lectured, "Where were you? We were worried!"

"It's fine," I replied. "No one saw me. I have a plan. Did you guys get Buckbeak?"

"Yes," she replied.

"Then we need to get to Flitwick's office," I replied. "The window's open and a wand is hidden in there."

"You weren't supposed to be seen!" Hermione hissed.

"I wasn't," I retorted. "I had someone else do it. Let's go." Harry, Hermione, and I all climbed on Buckbeak and took off into the night. Before long we had gotten to Flitwick's office. Harry stopped Buckbeak along the window. I slid it open. "Dad, did you find the wand?"

"Yes," he replied, holding up his own wand Remus had given me when I was young.

"Good, get on," I said. He climbed onto the back with me. We landed on the battlements of one of the towers and get off.

"Sirius, you'd better go, quick!" Harry said. "They'll reach Flitwick's office any moment, they'll find out you're gone!"

"Wait, Dad!" I cried, pushing towards him. Tears ran down my cheeks as I hugged him tightly. He held me tightly as I silently cried. Pulling away, he wiped away my tears, looking at me carefully.

"Raven, I need you to know that I love you, so much, and I'm so proud of you," he whispered. "I'm sorry we can't do what we planned. I'm sorry I can't be your father yet, but I will give that to you, one day. No matter what, know that I love you, okay?" I nodded, still crying. Gently he kissed my forehead before hugging me again.

"We need to go," Harry said quickly. Hesitating a moment, I pulled away.

"Bye Dad," I whispered. "I love you."

"I love you too, Raven," he replied, climbing up on Buckbeak. "Write to me."

"I will, I promise," I replied. "Bye Dad."