52. Spirits

I was so focused on trying to get to my wand, I paid no heed to what Voldemort was saying until he said, "Now untie him, Wormtail, and give him back his wand. Leave her." Harry barely remained standing and I forgot all about getting my wand. He was given his wand and he glanced over at me. 

"You have been taught how to duel, Harry Potter?" Voldemort said, his eyes glistening. "We bow to each other, Harry." As he tried to make Harry duel, I went back to trying to get to my wand. I was only interrupted when Harry suddenly fell, screaming as he had been hit with the Cruciatus Curse. 

"Harry!" I screamed. My yell was so loud, it broke through Voldemort's spell and I grabbed my wand, breaking from my bounds. 

"Crucio!" Voldemort shouted, bringing me to my knees as I screamed and sobbed. 

Harry started to move towards me, but I snapped, "If you die because of me, Harry! Fight him!" I was fighting against losing consciousness, but then I suddenly looked up and saw the largest collection of spirits I had ever seen.

"Let us pass through," they begged. I raised my hand and spirit after spirit went through me. Then I suddenly saw the last people I expected. Coming towards me was my godfather and godmother. 

"J-James," I whispered. "L-L-Lily." 

"Protect Harry," Lily whispered before our hands met and she disappeared. Soon after, James disappeared. Everything was a blur from then on. My head buzzed and I saw spirit after spirit pass through me until I couldn't see anymore. I felt myself being moved. I felt another body. 

Everything was a blur until the lights around me suddenly changed and I screamed loudly. My body rose into the air as more and more spirits passed through my body. With a final scream, I fell back to the ground. 

"Harry! Valerie!" I was sobbing again and couldn't see or hear anything. Everything faded away. 

......................................................................................

"What happened to her?" a voice asked as if from far away.

"I don't know," another voice replied. "We'll have to wait until she wakes up I guess."

 I opened my eyes and saw that I was in the hospital wing. At the foot of my bed were Fred, who had his head in his hands, and Khadija, Cedric, Ebony, Hercule, and Leo, who were all watching me nervously. Everything came back to me at once. 

I sobbed, turning on my side to bury my head in my pillow. "Val," Fred said softly, coming to crouch in front of me. 

"Mr. Weasley," Dumbledore said quietly. "I need to have a word with Miss Black alone." Fred reluctantly stood. I got up, leaning against Dumbledore for support as I continued to sob. He brought me to his office where Harry was sitting. 

"Harry," I whispered, rushing forward. I hugged him tightly, still crying. I was so focused on Harry I didn't even notice the large black dog in the corner. When I pulled away, I finally noticed. "Dad," I whispered before breaking down again. 

He quickly moved towards me and wrapped his arms around me. I sobbed bitterly into his chest. I remained there as Harry told Dumbledore and Sirius everything that had happened. I tried to stop my tears, but while I had stopped sobbing the tears wouldn't stop. 

I only really tuned in when Harry said, "I saw Cedric come from the wand, and the old man, Bertha Jorkins, my parents." 

"I saw them," I said tearfully. Dad's grip around me tightened as I said. "They spent all these years in torment, but then passed through. They're at peace." 

"What do you mean?" Dad asked. 

"Their spirits," I said. "And Cedric." I pulled away from Dad and pointed as I said, "He's right there." Everyone looked, but, of course, no one else could see him. "Cedric, you need to go. Pass on." 

"Valerie, he can't," Khadija said. "You have allowed too many to pass through you tonight." 

"But I promised," I said, looking around at the others. 

"You will kill yourself if you allow more through," she said. 

"Can someone explain what on earth she's talking about?" Harry asked, looking between Sirius and Dumbledore. 

"Valerie has been gifted with several different abilities through her ring," Dumbledore said. "Seeing the past and future and seeing and communicating with the spirits of the dead. She can see Cedric because his spirit has not yet passed on to peace." 

"Well let him pass through!" Harry shouted indignantly. 

"I can't," I said. "The entire time in the graveyard spirits were approaching me and passing on. According to Khadija, I will die if I allow more to pass over tonight." 

"Who's Khadija?" Harry snapped. 

"Another spirit, Harry," Dumbledore said. "But let us not talk about that now. You both need rest. A sleeping draught, even. Sirius, would you like to stay with them." 

"NO!" I screamed. "Dad, don't leave me! They'll all come back! Please!" 

"Raven, I'm not going anywhere," he swore, gripping my shoulders tightly. Shaking, I nodded. Dumbledore and the dog form of Dad followed Harry and me into the hospital wing. Instantly, Mrs. Weasley and Fred started towards us. 

"Molly, Fred," Dumbledore said quickly, "please listen to me for a moment. Harry and Valerie have been through a horrible ordeal tonight. Harry just had to relieve it for me. What they both need now is sleep, peace, and quiet. If they would like you to stay with them, then you may do so. But I do not want either of them questioned until they are ready to answer, and certainly not this evening." 

Shaking, I moved towards Fred. He quickly wrapped his arms around me as I began to sob again. "Valerie," Dumbledore said quietly. Shaking, I moved toward one of the beds and lay down, instantly downing the potion I was handed.